Auditions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrlob91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been approved for two 4 week auditions so far this summer/fall. Anyone have any tips on what to know before then? I have done 10 weeks of OB in third year, but they were all at the beginning of the year. I will obviously come early and stay late but if anyone has any tips on reading beforehand, etc, that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Been approved for two 4 week auditions so far this summer/fall. Anyone have any tips on what to know before then? I have done 10 weeks of OB in third year, but they were all at the beginning of the year. I will obviously come early and stay late but if anyone has any tips on reading beforehand, etc, that would be great.

Know the basics backwards and forwards.

OB: gestational diabetes, PPROM, PROM, preterm labor, macrosomia guidelines, preeclampsia and HELLP workup, "normal" labor guidelines, postpartum hemhorrage management. Just know how to evaluate the basics coming through triage and what to think about when typical shows signs of atypia. Being willing to help is really the most important thing.

GYN: first trimester bleeding, postmenopausal bleeding, pregnancy of unknown origin, management of confirmed ectopic, workup of pelvic mass, basic hysterectomy anatomy

GYN onc: staging and treatment of endometrial, cervix, and ovarian/fallopian/peritoneal cancers

That's what I can think of for now (and what I wish my students had a good working knowledge of). What rotations are you doing?

I just matched into OBGYN and I was *not* a genius or anything by any means. Like the post above states, know your basics but don't sweat it. If they ask you about something and you don't know it, learn it. Because they WILL care if they ask you the next day and you still have idea what they're talking about.

Besides that, I honestly think that the most important thing is being normal. You'll be surprised with the type of people you meet along the audition trail and being normal and able to assess situations/react appropriately puts you in a small minority usually

Reactions: 1 user