Audition/4th year electives in subspecialty/not residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, Sorry if this a dumb question, but is it prudent/helpful/useful to do electives 4th year in a subspecialty of a residency youre interested in? ie. If interested in Ob/gyn, doing some MFM, REI, or even general ambulatory rotations even if its not general OBgyn? Would you still get face time with the people who matter if youre interested in that institution or will it be a waste?

thnx

Members don't see this ad.

You should do electives in things that either

A) you think you will ACTUALLY enjoy, and get a good experience from. These rotations are site specific, and it isn't hard to find out if rotating with Dr. X is worth it, word gets around.

OR

B) Require as little time involved as possible and will allow you to enjoy your life.

Just my two cents......

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above.
Also are you referring to an audition? If you're doing a rotation at a residency site because you're applying to that residency, it would be much more helpful to do a rotation where you're going to be interacting with residents often (so general OBGYN instead of MFM). Again, that's for an audition not just a random rotation. For the rest of 4th year do literally whatever you want. Preferably something with the lowest amount of hours and easiest schedule possible. Does not need to be related to your specialty choice.
Treat 4th year as your last chance to experience whatever specialty you want before specializing. Always been curious about anesthesia? Do a rotation in it. Most importantly, enjoy your 4th year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your goal? Exposure to a particular field? Try out several unrelated fields? Audition and impress? Enjoy life? Try out a site/program/location?

Reactions: 1 user
I personally need a medicine sub-I... Something my DO school does not offer. VSAS season seems to coming to an end and I still don't have one scheduled.