Attention Medical Students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtoHNS

ENT Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now seems to be a good time for you to apply to ENT...

Not surprisingly, forcing applicants to our specialty to waste hours of their time writing 50+ "unique" essays on why they want to apply to each program has led to a large drop in the number of applicants since 2014 and more than 10 unmatched positions in last year's match.

See the recent hand-wringing on the subject in this month's white journal:

"2017: The Year Otolaryngology Had to 'Scramble'"
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

"The State of the Otolaryngology Match..."

Luckily for you, our specialty is still pretty damn awesome, so take advantage of the lower numbers of applicants and get in while the getting is good!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users

Not surprisingly, forcing applicants to our specialty to waste hours of their time writing 50+ "unique" essays on why they want to apply to each program has led to a large drop in the number of applicants since 2014 and more than 10 unmatched positions in last year's match.

Luckily for you, our specialty is still pretty damn awesome, so take advantage of the lower numbers of applicants and get in while the getting is good!

Does anyone think these 'unique' essays are ever really that unique?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I doubt it. I believe it was a not very subtle attempt to lower the average number of programs that people were applying to. However, it seems that what it actually accomplished was to lower the number of people who were willing to apply to ENT at all. That and the perceived "impossibility" of matching into ENT described in the linked articles.

I've generally refrained from giving advice to residency applicants on here the past few years since I've been out of the academic world for awhile and it seemed like the criteria for a "competitive applicant" had changed so drastically. It's frankly absurd that someone should feel like they have to be AOA, 260+ Step 1, all honors, and have 8+ publications to even have a chance at matching into our specialty (or any specialty for that matter). I hope that my academic colleagues will consider this a wake-up call and inject a dose of sanity back into the residency selection process.

Reactions: 6 users
Agreed. I had several arguments with my faculty about the stupidity of these essays and hopefully this will be a wakeup call to the field.

I think it definitely backfired for many programs.
Agreed. I had several arguments with my faculty about the stupidity of these essays and hopefully this will be a wakeup call to the field.

What's your proposal?

They hardly were unique. I saw paragraphs discussing how great it would be to attend [another institution] and work with us. Nevertheless, I think the intention of having something unique about a program in the application had dual purposes. It increased the burden of the application; some people were applying to 60+ programs. It also created an opportunity to decrease the numbers of generic applications. Most of these generic applications were coupled to applicants who really had no knowledge of the program on the interview or what took place at our program. On the other hand, I think the application process has become out of hand, and I think that's a multifactorial problem. We discuss characteristics of the "competitive" applicant, but most fail to realize that you don't have to be a standard deviation above to match and that you have chances if you're a standard deviation below the mean.

My position has been to always advocate that students achieve the best results they can to make them the most competitive they can be. I see nothing bad about this, but I see the problem brewing that I actually liked the middle-of-the-road resident more than I liked the upper echelon resident. Obviously the process is skewed to favor the upper echelon, but they don't always make the best otolaryngologist. It's not only the programs themselves. Our program, for example, is put under pressure by the dean to look more intently at the upper echelon and have these pseudo-requirements in applicants: previous funding, first authorship, USMLE >250, Junior AOA, etc. Points. It's vexing, but it's not always the programs that set the standards for applicants.

My advice is the same as it always has been to applicants: be the best you can be, and project the best image you can project. This is accomplished through hard work and relationships.

The articles are good reads. It is an interesting time.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting to hear your thoughts. I certainly don't claim to have the answer, but you academicians are pretty smart, I'm sure you'll figure it out ;)

Our program, for example, is put under pressure by the dean to look more intently at the upper echelon and have these pseudo-requirements in applicants: previous funding, first authorship, USMLE >250, Junior AOA, etc. Points. It's vexing, but it's not always the programs that set the standards for applicants.

Weird. I'd be surprised if the dean ever even thought about the ENT department where I trained, much less wanted to micromanage our resident selection process.

I agree with you that there is at best no correlation and maybe even a reverse correlation between high grades/USMLE scores and actual resident performance. The best junior resident I ever worked with during my training had marginal grades and scores and only matched with us because she did an away rotation and everyone loved her. She now has a thriving practice.

I also think there's far too much emphasis on research publications. Ultimately, most of us are not really that interested in research and are eventually going to end up in private practice. Forcing the majority of applicants to pretend they want to be a research scientist doesn't serve anyone- applicants have to pretend they are someone they're not, and programs are eventually disappointed when their "future researchers" join the private practice across town. I do think there is some value for everyone to participate in at least 1 research project, but an average of 8 per applicant seems excessive unless you really enjoy research, which I can assure you most applicants do not.

I think it definitely backfired for many programs.

What's your proposal?

I don't have the answer, I can only identify terrible ideas.

Nor do I truly think it's a problem for applicants to apply to 60 programs. Or even every single program. If the nation's program directors really can't be arsed to look over an extra 50 applications a year to pick out someone they will be working with for the next 5 years, I have no sympathy.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment of your last post. Work hard develop your relationships and hope for the best.

I don't have the answer, I can only identify terrible ideas.

A true asset to your program. Eldridge Cleaver runs strong in your veins.

If the nation's program directors really can't be arsed to look over an extra 50 applications a year to pick out someone they will be working with for the next 5 years, I have no sympathy.

"Arsed." Really?

We don't pick anyone. Candidates are matched with a program. We rank applicants. I wish we could "pick."

I'm not sure what your intention was, but it's a comment like this that challenges my assumption that you know what it's like to review 250 applications each year, select among them the "best" 40 or 50 and interview them. Maybe there are some program directors that do nothing but sit in their offices and review applications, but I know that our program director doesn't. I review about 20-25 fellowship applications per year and interview about 12-16, and even that is a challenge with a busy practice. When the 40-50 applications are handed to me, it takes a long time to go through them, make phone calls, send emails, etc. We work hard and are dedicated to making the program strong.

Last edited:
A true asset to your program. Eldridge Cleaver runs strong in your veins.

"Arsed." Really?

We don't pick anyone. Candidates are matched with a program. We rank applicants. I wish we could "pick."

I'm not sure what your intention was, but it's a comment like this that challenges my assumption that you know what it's like to review 250 applications each year, select among them the "best" 40 or 50 and interview them. Maybe there are some program directors that do nothing but sit in their offices and review applications, but I know that our program director doesn't. I review about 20-25 fellowship applications per year and interview about 12-16, and even that is a challenge with a busy practice. When the 40-50 applications are handed to me, it takes a long time to go through them, make phone calls, send emails, etc. We work hard and are dedicated to making the program strong.

1. I'm not in a position to make any changes. You are. Where's your solution?
2. You think nobody else realizes that it's a lot of work to go through applications? Or is this a phenomenon unique to ENT and no other specialty has to do the same thing? Why is ENT so special that no other field feels it's necessary to inject a personality test and program specific paragraphs into the process? But hey, keep going with your condescending remarks. Maybe I'm an idiot. But even I can see that people are being turned away from the field and it's laughable to say it's just because of how competitive it is. All the other competitive fields are largely unchanged. Bury your head in the sand, that's fine.

1. I'm not in a position to make any changes. You are. Where's your solution?

Not being in a position hasn't stopped you in the past from voicing your opinion.

My solution? To have a solution means there's a problem to correct. A three year downward trend (preceded by 10 years of steady increase) does not necessarily mean the future, left unaltered, is bleak. Nevertheless, were I called upon to give a solution, my solution would be as grassroots as it has been for the past 10 years. It has been to work with medical students both in person and on forums. Coaching students who want to apply. Attracting students who might be interested in ENT. I've been mentoring residents and fellows for 10 years now. This is short by many standards, but it is longer than most. I work with the program director. I work with the dean. I attend SUO meetings. I work on our society's fellowship training committee. I've long been an advocate of calling for understanding why medical students choose places to do residency and steering them away from simply checking boxes to personalizing applications. I'd like to go back to the early match. I'd like to scrap Step II and CS scores. I'd like to end the unwritten point system that has plagued our application process for the last 5 years. People say having the personality test in the application is a horrible idea. What do you think the interview is? It's a personality test. The rejoinder is that we should save the personality test for the interview, but then that leaves the application were it was -- strictly a numbers and points game. And that's what created the trend. The process is evolving, and we've experienced a flat tire. I don't understand why there is a nationwide smoke signal and panic now. So, the solution is working with each other to figure out where we want the field to head. That's not always tangible and even harder to translate into an application.

2. You think nobody else realizes that it's a lot of work to go through applications? Or is this a phenomenon unique to ENT and no other specialty has to do the same thing?

No, my comment was directed toward you and your statement. Your "arsed" statement.

Why is ENT so special that no other field feels it's necessary to inject a personality test and program specific paragraphs into the process?

I don't know how that came about, but it is there. I suspect it was because the trajectory and student unmatch (not program) was getting out of control and the numbers of applications were far exceeding the number of spots. The personality test phone call was an idiotic idea, but I don't think it was unreasonable to personalize the application. The trend started well before the personalized application process, and with one year of having programs go unmatched, well that's hardly a reason to panic. A reason to rethink? Yes. A reason to panic? No. The average USLME when I matched was 232. The average USMLE score in 2014 was 248. AOA percentage has gone up. The average numbers of scientific publications has gone WAY up since 2002. If a students looks at the trends, the logical conclusion is that a student has to at least meet that benchmark and to be competitive, exceed it. This drove competition; all this happened well before the program-specific requirements. And, yes, we loved it because we were getting high rollers -- at least academic high rollers. The newer requirements did reverse the trend of applications, and it at least appears that the downward trend is -- for the moment -- slowing. We will see what 2018 looks like.

I'm sure you'll find attendings who see no problem whatsoever in this process. Most of us are well-aware that 10 (?) programs went unmatched this past year. Most of us are trying to make our field competitive and attractive, and it still is. I, like many, are not yelling "fire" just yet.

What these publications track is the top 4 most applied to specialities. It doesn't talk about increasing program trends in medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, emergency medicine and others. People talk about the 35% swing in applicants, but that's compared to 3 years ago, when it was already 20% up from years before. It's not great to be in a volatile state; we'd much rather be where ortho is -- predictable and stable. Unfortunately, there's a momentum to everything and the pendulum is hopefully swinging.

But even I can see that people are being turned away from the field and it's laughable to say it's just because of how competitive it is.

What are the other reasons?

Why else would research suggest that 80% of current medical students cite matching into ENT as "nearly impossible" or "impossible?" Impossible to write a paragraph? Or impossible to meet the de facto standards of competitiveness? Why would anyone say it's impossible to match into ENT because of the residency, the career outlook, the people who run the programs, the application process or anything else about ENT other than the perception that it's too competitive? Because it is competitive -- too competitive. That is the most important reason why students are turned away.

So, most of us don't have our heads in the sand. We see an over-run competitive field and are trying to normalize the process. It's a work in process.

Not being in a position hasn't stopped you in the past from voicing your opinion.

My solution? To have a solution means there's a problem to correct. A three year downward trend (preceded by 10 years of steady increase) does not necessarily mean the future, left unaltered, is bleak. Nevertheless, were I called upon to give a solution, my solution would be as grassroots as it has been for the past 10 years. It has been to work with medical students both in person and on forums. Coaching students who want to apply. Attracting students who might be interested in ENT. I've been mentoring residents and fellows for 10 years now. This is short by many standards, but it is longer than most. I work with the program director. I work with the dean. I attend SUO meetings. I work on our society's fellowship training committee. I've long been an advocate of calling for understanding why medical students choose places to do residency and steering them away from simply checking boxes to personalizing applications. I'd like to go back to the early match. I'd like to scrap Step II and CS scores. I'd like to end the unwritten point system that has plagued our application process for the last 5 years. People say having the personality test in the application is a horrible idea. What do you think the interview is? It's a personality test. The rejoinder is that we should save the personality test for the interview, but then that leaves the application were it was -- strictly a numbers and points game. And that's what created the trend. The process is evolving, and we've experienced a flat tire. I don't understand why there is a nationwide smoke signal and panic now. So, the solution is working with each other to figure out where we want the field to head. That's not always tangible and even harder to translate into an application.

No, my comment was directed toward you and your statement. Your "arsed" statement.

I don't know how that came about, but it is there. I suspect it was because the trajectory and student unmatch (not program) was getting out of control and the numbers of applications were far exceeding the number of spots. The personality test phone call was an idiotic idea, but I don't think it was unreasonable to personalize the application. The trend started well before the personalized application process, and with one year of having programs go unmatched, well that's hardly a reason to panic. A reason to rethink? Yes. A reason to panic? No. The average USLME when I matched was 232. The average USMLE score in 2014 was 248. AOA percentage has gone up. The average numbers of scientific publications has gone WAY up since 2002. If a students looks at the trends, the logical conclusion is that a student has to at least meet that benchmark and to be competitive, exceed it. This drove competition; all this happened well before the program-specific requirements. And, yes, we loved it because we were getting high rollers -- at least academic high rollers. The newer requirements did reverse the trend of applications, and it at least appears that the downward trend is -- for the moment -- slowing. We will see what 2018 looks like.

I'm sure you'll find attendings who see no problem whatsoever in this process. Most of us are well-aware that 10 (?) programs went unmatched this past year. Most of us are trying to make our field competitive and attractive, and it still is. I, like many, are not yelling "fire" just yet.

What these publications track is the top 4 most applied to specialities. It doesn't talk about increasing program trends in medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, emergency medicine and others. People talk about the 35% swing in applicants, but that's compared to 3 years ago, when it was already 20% up from years before. It's not great to be in a volatile state; we'd much rather be where ortho is -- predictable and stable. Unfortunately, there's a momentum to everything and the pendulum is hopefully swinging.

Why else would research suggest that 80% of current medical students cite matching into ENT as "nearly impossible" or "impossible?" Impossible to write a paragraph? Or impossible to meet the de facto standards of competitiveness? Why would anyone say it's impossible to match into ENT because of the residency, the career outlook, the people who run the programs, the application process or anything else about ENT other than the perception that it's too competitive? Because it is competitive -- too competitive. That is the most important reason why students are turned away.

So, most of us don't have our heads in the sand. We see an over-run competitive field and are trying to normalize the process. It's a work in process.
As a rising MS2, I can say that it certainly won't be writing essays that deters me from applying for ENT. If anything, it will be if I cannot exceed the average Step 1 score by a comfortable margin. I have a family and while I am doing well and actually enjoying med school, I don't think I will make junior AOA. Before medical school, I spent years working in the OR and loved ENT; I enjoyed scrubbing in on thyroidectomies, FESS, and parotid cases, and I loved taking care of kids and knowing how much better they'd feel after a simple T&A or BMT. It's the only field in which I even liked the office part, and could imagine enjoying it if I needed to retire from operating, but didn't want to retire altogether. I always hit it off well with ENT surgeons and spent lots of my vacation time overseas on medical missions with surgeons who really inspired me. I entered medical school thinking this might be the perfect field for me. It wasn't until we had our first lecture about the Match and learned about the average requirements for each specialty that I realized I shouldn't get too excited or invested in the field. I will aim high and work for the best grades and board scores I can achieve, but I cannot risk applying unless I am well above average compared to other applicants. There are too many people depending on my success to risk the possibility of going unmatched.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can understand your predicament. You sound like you have a realistic plan moving forward; however, I will remind you that the statistics are averages. There are candidates who don't reach those numbers who match and candidates who exceed those numbers who do not match.

There are too many people depending on my success to risk the possibility of going unmatched.

I know you're still early in your med school years, so you are probably not that familiar with the match process yet. "Going unmatched" sounds pretty awful and certainly would be a blow to your pride, but it does not mean that you are thrown out on the street and told to go get a job at McDonalds. You still have a M.D. after your name and as an unmatched ENT applicant, you would probably have a number of options to scramble into other specialties, including desirable ones like anesthesia, EM, or radiology (or ENT for that matter if this past year's trend continues). It is probably worth your time to think through and understand this worst case scenario, and see that while it certainly would not be fun or ideal, it is not the absolute catastrophe that you are probably imagining.

For instance, if you end up with 245 Step 1 score and a mix of honors/high pass M3, your hypothetical self may decide that it is too risky to apply to ENT and "play it safe" and apply for medicine instead. But if you just applied to ENT, you still have a very high chance of matching, and if you don't match, you could easily scramble into a categorical IM spot.

I know you're still early in your med school years, so you are probably not that familiar with the match process yet. "Going unmatched" sounds pretty awful and certainly would be a blow to your pride, but it does not mean that you are thrown out on the street and told to go get a job at McDonalds. You still have a M.D. after your name and as an unmatched ENT applicant, you would probably have a number of options to scramble into other specialties, including desirable ones like anesthesia, EM, or radiology (or ENT for that matter if this past year's trend continues). It is probably worth your time to think through and understand this worst case scenario, and see that while it certainly would not be fun or ideal, it is not the absolute catastrophe that you are probably imagining.

For instance, if you end up with 245 Step 1 score and a mix of honors/high pass M3, your hypothetical self may decide that it is too risky to apply to ENT and "play it safe" and apply for medicine instead. But if you just applied to ENT, you still have a very high chance of matching, and if you don't match, you could easily scramble into a categorical IM spot.
scrambling into EM isn't likely going to be on the table.

scrambling into EM isn't likely going to be on the table.

Please give me a little slack on the details since I went through the match process 13 years ago... ;)

The overall point remains true that there are a number of open positions in a variety of specialties available for unmatched ENT applicants.

Please give me a little slack on the details since I went through the match process 13 years ago... ;)

The overall point remains true that there are a number of open positions in a variety of specialties available for unmatched ENT applicants.
I'm not upset, just wanted to keep anyone reading on track.

They hardly were unique. I saw paragraphs discussing how great it would be to attend [another institution] and work with us. Nevertheless, I think the intention of having something unique about a program in the application had dual purposes. It increased the burden of the application; some people were applying to 60+ programs. It also created an opportunity to decrease the numbers of generic applications. Most of these generic applications were coupled to applicants who really had no knowledge of the program on the interview or what took place at our program. On the other hand, I think the application process has become out of hand, and I think that's a multifactorial problem. We discuss characteristics of the "competitive" applicant, but most fail to realize that you don't have to be a standard deviation above to match and that you have chances if you're a standard deviation below the mean.

My position has been to always advocate that students achieve the best results they can to make them the most competitive they can be. I see nothing bad about this, but I see the problem brewing that I actually liked the middle-of-the-road resident more than I liked the upper echelon resident. Obviously the process is skewed to favor the upper echelon, but they don't always make the best otolaryngologist. It's not only the programs themselves. Our program, for example, is put under pressure by the dean to look more intently at the upper echelon and have these pseudo-requirements in applicants: previous funding, first authorship, USMLE >250, Junior AOA, etc. Points. It's vexing, but it's not always the programs that set the standards for applicants.

My advice is the same as it always has been to applicants: be the best you can be, and project the best image you can project. This is accomplished through hard work and relationships.

The articles are good reads. It is an interesting time.
My fear was that I would get the New York programs mixed up. Not the programs themselves, but getting the correct code with correct program was a bit tricky. Must have gotten it correct, got a few NYC invites.

I think the research requirement is useful primarily for the program because they will at least know that the applicants they select are more likely to be able to publish for them and boost their own CV

I think the research requirement is useful primarily for the program because they will at least know that the applicants they select are more likely to be able to publish for them and boost their own CV

While I'm sure that plays some role, I think that view is a little narrow-minded. Research is a fundamental pillar of any academic program, and I think that you'll see that the size of that pillar varies from institution to institution. As such, it's important that we (as academicians) fuel that fire and desire for research early in residency. Our field (fields!) advance by discovery and dissemination. Medical students who do research have already demonstrated an interest in research and demonstrate that they can balance a heavy workload while focusing on research as well. We hope that builds the strength and character of the resident.

Residents who do research typically are working on projects that attendings already have in motion. Many, of course, start their own, and that's superb. So, to say that the primary reason is to "boost their own CV" really is false; we'd be doing it anyway. I've always been an advocate of resident research, and when I have projects running that involve residents, I make sure the resident does the work, writes the paper and does either the oral presentation at the meeting. I mentor. We pay for residents to present at meetings if they get an abstract accepted. It's much more than boosting my CV; it boosts the resident's CV as well, and the experience they get, IMO, does turn many residents on to fellowship and academic medicine.

Everyone wins.

The line of reasoning presented in the two links from the original post is so lazy that it irks me that these ideas are being used to guide future residency selection priorities. So someone sent out a survey to 127 students at BU and they found that 80% of them thought ENT was impossible or nearly impossible to match... no information on the response rate for the survey, no comparison to ortho, plastics, derm? I can virtually guarantee a similar or higher percentage of students would find those other residencies "impossible" or "nearly impossible" to match, but we'll never know because those authors never thought to draw a useful comparison.

Then, ignoring this obvious oversight, they state that application numbers are declining when ortho, plastics, derm, etc. are not because ENT overemphasizes academic rigor. It doesn't take a second to realize that those other specialties are just as academically rigorous if not more. Anecdotally, I know a handful of people taking research years for those other residencies and nobody planning one for ENT.

I think it's more likely that people who are not competitive for ENT are deciding not to even try applying more so in recent years because the residencies are adding annoying extra requirements (which aren't accomplishing their intended purpose) which make it too painful to do on a whim.

I also had to laugh at the fact that the overall message of the paper is "we need to tell students that it's possible to do ENT so we can go back to rejecting 1/3 of people who apply." Give me a break haha. Also rolled my eyes at the fact that the authors called the fact that most ENT applicants have honors grades for their clerkships "grade inflation."

I have to wonder if some of the sentiment behind these proposed changes to the match process comes from older otolaryngologists who realize they would not match in today's residency selection process. Regardless I hope ENT figures out how to not shoot itself in the foot when all of the other competitive residencies are staying steady.

Well, it appears that medical students were listening. Word on the street is that no programs went unmatched this year, that the match rate will be around 70ish% for applicants, and that multiple "competitive" applicants went unmatched. The pendulum swung back quickly.

Well, it appears that medical students were listening. Word on the street is that no programs went unmatched this year, that the match rate will be around 70ish% for applicants, and that multiple "competitive" applicants went unmatched. The pendulum swung back quickly.

That is interesting. It looks like 2018 was still (relatively) noncompetitive for ENT. Glad to see we are back to our usual impossible-to-match status! :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user