Attending a new dental school can be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgh7860993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering attending the newest dental school (Touro) in favor of NYU due to cost. However, my dentist suggests against it and said that if he was hiring an associate he probably wouldn't hire someone who graduated from a school that he and others have never heard of. I've heard mixed opinions regarding this and some dentists say it doesn't matter. But I am wondering, are there any graduates on here that graduated from a school that was brand new (if you were the inaugural class or one of the first few new classes) did you have a hard time or face any stigma when looking for a job, coming from a school with no reputation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it doesn't matter. It will be accredited by the time you start looking for a job. I have friends that went to a brand new school and they both found good jobs.

You will always find an associate job after you graduate, probably won't be a well paid one. After working both the front and back dental office for 3 years, my boss offered me a job during dental school and an associate position after I graduate. It comes down to experience, I doubt anyone who graduate right out of dental school are as efficient as a dentist with decades of experience.

For example, I have assisted a periodontist who recently graduated from Columbia. He is no where close to be efficient as other older periodontists I have seen.

Edit: On average, he spends 30 more minutes doing 2 gum graft surgeries. Speed will definitely come with more practice and confidence.

There may be offices out there that will give more weight on paper to a graduate from a school they are familiar with or more so, one they attended themselves. However that applies to just about any field, application, job, etc. If you thought of things in only that way, you'd probably never do anything and be pretty unhappy.

I know and know of many doctors (and a handful of attorneys) out there that have been quite successful despite not going to a well known school. A lot of people that attended my school (MWU AZ) probably worried about the same thing you are, but I don't know any current or graduated students that regret having chosen a newer school. I wish I could given you a first hand source for the experiences as an inaugural graduate, but I will say even being in the 5th graduating class I have no regrets having passed up NYU, OHSU, etc.

Taking a step away from your immediate concern. I would strongly suggest that you make a decision not based on that, but rather on your impression of the school in question after you visit/interview. It's more important that you personally feel good about the school and faculty you meet, than on what we think or your dentist thinks.

Reactions: 1 user