Atlantic Bridge dentistry 2017 cycle - Irish dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yup this is starting to happen :sick:

Dental Associate Position job - Stream Dental Staffing Solutions - Red Deer, AB | Indeed.com

"Required license or certification: DDS or DMD"

BDS is an equivalent degree, as it requires the same education. It's the same if you went to Australia for dentistry. If the school is accredited, you should have no problem. At the end of the day, the type of person you are and what you bring to the table will get you a job. An employer would be stupid to not consider you if you're qualified and are the type of person they want to fill their position.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely agree with what you are saying, but the reality is that employers are starting to lean towards graduates of Canadian universities or post graduate programs that are DMD or DDS as this company has posted. It's good to be informed and aware before deciding to invest 400k in going abroad for school. Especially if your intent is to return to Canada to work.

While it is always good to be cautious when making big decisions such as attending dental school abroad, I don't believe there is too much to worry about. I have spoken to many dentists (probably around 12) in Alberta and BC and asked their for their opinions on hiring someone trained in Ireland (or anywhere other than Canada and the US) and all of them said it really does not make a difference if the degree is equivalent. They don't view it as a weakness because getting into a Canadian school these days is so difficult because there are such limited spaces. If CDAC considers it equivalent that means the program is on par with Canadian programs, the name of the degree "DMD, DDS, BDS" is just a name. I would hope that means anyone coming from Ireland will practice dentistry like those trained in Canada.

I find the people who feel the BDS degree is somehow lesser than that of the DMD or DDS equivalent in Canada are usually those involved with academics, not actual practicing dentists haha.

I hope that makes you feel a little less concerned, don't worry too much about the name of the degree, at the end of the day as long as the agreement stands, getting the degree all that matters. Hard enough just getting in somewhere right? haha

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone heard anything from Trinity or Cork?
From what I understand, Cork has sent out all GED 4-year offers for the first round. Not sure if they have extended 5 year offers. Heard nothing about Trinity.

Nothing here either. Based on last year thread, they might start sending out emails around April 15th.

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea when UCC's 5 year offers have typically gone out?

Got an interview invitation from Queens University this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invitation from QUB this morning as well. Nothing from Trinity yet ..

Got an interview invite as well! How are you guys going to prep for it?

got accepted to the 5 year program at UCC
does anyone know if there is any chance of hearing from trinity as well? like will i here back from trinity or do the schools communicate with each other and roll out only 1 offer?
Also, does anyone know a chat group of something for people who were accepted into the same program as me?

got accepted to the 5 year program at UCC
does anyone know if there is any chance of hearing from trinity as well? like will i here back from trinity or do the schools communicate with each other and roll out only 1 offer?
Also, does anyone know a chat group of something for people who were accepted into the same program as me?
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your cGPA and EC's? Also did you apply through atlantic bridge?

You guys should also consider Australian dental schools. A classmate that attended an irish dental school for a year before deciding to move to Australia for dentistry is really happy about the decision he made (he was in the 5 year program). The amount of clinical experience you receive here is far greater than any other Canadian dental school (not too sure about Irish). I personally decided Melbourne over Irish and American schools and have loved every single minute of it! Let me know if you have any questions and best of luck!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that got admission. I know in my year it was very competitive couple hundred North Americans applied and only 8 Canadians were admitted into my school.
The Irish dental schools are great due to the extremely small class sizes 35-45 people per year, other schools have class sizes in the 100's, so you will not get the same level of one on one guidance. TCD in UCC are quite different, TCD utilizes PBL as its primary source of teaching.
The great thing about TCD is that it is one of the few dental schools in the world where students start clinical practice on real patients early on during 2nd year, so the clinical hands on skills you will gain will be invaluable and you will be extremely well prepared to practice after graduation.

In terms of the reciprocity agreement coming to an end, it is very unlikely that it will not be renewed, there are TCD dental graduates that work in the Canadian dental association

Lastly, I do not regret my decision at all, I did get into some schools in the states, but my time in Europe has been the best time of my life. Weekend trips across Europe flights costing 20-50 euros, adventures as well as receiving quality education giving me the ability to work in Europe and Canada as well as some other countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do you know how hard is it to practice in Europe as a Canadian dentist after graduation from Ireland? I have heard that getting a work visa is insanely hard for non-EU residents.

Just as an FYI, class size is 52 in UCC

That's interesting whenever I met people from UCC I saw class sizes in the 30's, they must have increased it. However the class size does usually drop after 1st year, some people realize dentistry is not for them or do not have the motivation to study the course. I think UCC starts practical skills, drilling on plastic teeth and working on real patients later than Trinity. Most people will know if Dentistry is the right course for them by 2nd year. Many bright students may excel in academics however lack in the practical department, which is really the main focus of the subject.

Only 8?? OK I just lost all my hope.
That's just for Trinity, I do not know much about Cork or Belfast.

Do you know how hard is it to practice in Europe as a Canadian dentist after graduation from Ireland? I have heard that getting a work visa is insanely hard for non-EU residents.

Not sure who you heard that from. I do not think it is extremely difficult to get a work visa, if you register with regulatory bodies in other countries. I have a couple Canadian buddies who are working in Europe. Feel free to shoot Atlantic bridge an email about the program, they were really helpful when I was applying.

I believe the first round of offers have been made by all 3 schools now.

Fingers crossed for better luck in the second round :)

So, no one on this thread has received a first round offer? This is weird...

Just contacted Zachary. Only first round offers of UCC and Trinity have been out. Queens has not sent out any offers yet. Second round offers will be made by the end of May.

I emailed Linda at ABP on Friday and her response was that UCC has released a small second round of offers and TCD is still on its first round.

Reactions: 1 users
I just withdrew my acceptance for the 4-year program at UCC as I have been accepted to Canadian dental schools. Best of luck to those still waiting to hear!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from QUB? Any updates from those of you who got interviews in April?

What do you guys think, do we still have a chance of getting admission?
The wait is killing me:unsure:

I'm still hopeful! I'm assuming those who haven't had an offer yet didn't make the first round of offers but there is always the second round, right? I hear that as long as you haven't received a rejection you still have a chance. Has anyone else received any more offers/ or a rejection?

UCC has released its second round of offers, Trinity is still reviewing applicants for second round of offers.