Atlantic Bridge 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks life offers are made up to August/September but it may be pragmatic to have a Plan B. Good luck with your application!
I definitely agree with you. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to find other schools that might have a Sept 2017 or Jan 2018 intake

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that UCD offers have started going out at the very least. Got accepted there a couple days ago.

Now I just need to rapidly decide whether I should cancel my Limerick interview at this point or not.

It seems that UCD offers have started going out at the very least. Got accepted there a couple days ago.

Now I just need to rapidly decide whether I should cancel my Limerick interview at this point or not.
Hi, you got into UCD's GEM program? I emailed ABP on Wednesday and they said the offers hadn't gone out yet. When did you hear about it?

And congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely agree with you. Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to find other schools that might have a Sept 2017 or Jan 2018 intake

I know Australian med school applications are open till the end of June or so and their first intake is on late Jan/beginning of feb 2018. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Congratulations!!! :)
Just out of curiosity if you get accepted into limerick as well and you still have time to either reject or accept UCD offer which one would you go with?

Hi, you got into UCD's GEM program? I emailed ABP on Wednesday and they said the offers hadn't gone out yet. When did you hear about it?

And congrats!

Thanks! Yeah, the GEM program. Heard about it early Friday morning

Congratulations!!! :)
Just out of curiosity if you get accepted into limerick as well and you still have time to either reject or accept UCD offer which one would you go with?

Thanks! That's something I'm currently trying to decide. At this point I'm leaning towards UCD since I'm not sure how I feel about problem-based learning, I think it would be nicer to study in Dublin than Limerick, and from what I can find online, I like the look of the UCD program a little more than UL, but the lower cost is a big draw of UL. But ultimately I guess the price difference won't be too significant once I start practicing.

So yeah, at this point I'm just a ball of indecision (despite the fact that I'm firmly putting the cart before the horse since I haven't gotten a UL offer), but I think the wind is blowing towards UCD.

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing your stats (MCAT and GPA)? Just want to see how competitive the applicant pool is this year.

GPA of 3.46 and an MCAT score of 38 (not sure what that equates to for the new MCAT).

Thanks! Yeah, the GEM program. Heard about it early Friday morning

Thanks! That's something I'm currently trying to decide. At this point I'm leaning towards UCD since I'm not sure how I feel about problem-based learning, I think it would be nicer to study in Dublin than Limerick, and from what I can find online, I like the look of the UCD program a little more than UL, but the lower cost is a big draw of UL. But ultimately I guess the price difference won't be too significant once I start practicing.

So yeah, at this point I'm just a ball of indecision (despite the fact that I'm firmly putting the cart before the horse since I haven't gotten a UL offer), but I think the wind is blowing towards UCD.

Yeah, I see your point of view. In my opinion, if your UCD offer expires before you get to know your UL final decision, then i'd say definitely go with UCD. I mean after all a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush ;). Best of luck!

GPA of 3.46 and an MCAT score of 38 (not sure what that equates to for the new MCAT).
its damn good is what it is lol. May I ask why atlantic bridge given your stats that would have been competitive at North American schools?

Also does anyone know the tuition cost for UCD's GEM course?

its damn good is what it is lol. May I ask why atlantic bridge given your stats that would have been competitive at North American schools?

It's 48,000 euros per year.

Anyone accepted to UCC's GEM course, when is the deadline to accept the offer?

Members don't see this ad :)

Well I'm Canadian and unfortunately my GPA means I'm not really competitive in any Canadian schools. As for the US, I know I might be able to get into certain programs, though my GPA is a little low and I would need to retake the MCAT. However, I don't really want to wait around another year for something that won't necessarily work out and despite all the extra hoops I'll need to jump through to come back to NA as an IMG, I'm confident that I'll be able to do it. It also helps that I think I'll be mostly interested in internal medicine, and that's not overly difficult to get a residency in as an IMG.

And even though the ABP website says UCD is 48k euros, the actual number given by the school is 49,920 euros.

It's 48,000 euros per year.

Well I'm Canadian and unfortunately my GPA means I'm not really competitive in any Canadian schools. As for the US, I know I might be able to get into certain programs, though my GPA is a little low and I would need to retake the MCAT. However, I don't really want to wait around another year for something that won't necessarily work out and despite all the extra hoops I'll need to jump through to come back to NA as an IMG, I'm confident that I'll be able to do it. It also helps that I think I'll be mostly interested in internal medicine, and that's not overly difficult to get a residency in as an IMG.

And even though the ABP website says UCD is 48k euros, the actual number given by the school is 49,920 euros.

Thanks guys. I was kicking myself because when I got my RCSI offer and sent in the deposit, I let atlantic bridge know so that they can withrawl myapplication from other schools. In hindsight I kind of wish i'd let it ride because I didn't really have a chance to really comparatively evaluate RCSI, UCD, UCC and UL. It seems that they are all comparable though in both price and success for residency matching, so now I'm just curious if I would have gotten in anywhere else lol

Thanks guys. I was kicking myself because when I got my RCSI offer and sent in the deposit, I let atlantic bridge know so that they can withrawl myapplication from other schools. In hindsight I kind of wish i'd let it ride because I didn't really have a chance to really comparatively evaluate RCSI, UCD, UCC and UL. It seems that they are all comparable though in both price and success for residency matching, so now I'm just curious if I would have gotten in anywhere else lol
I paid my deposit 2 days before I had to, did not inform ABP to withdraw my application, and have yet to hear anything from any of the other schools. If that makes you feel any better about your decision.

How are you guys going to cover the cost? I spoke to the bank (I'm Canadian) and they require a co-signor for a foreign school.

I paid my deposit 2 days before I had to, did not inform ABP to withdraw my application, and have yet to hear anything from any of the other schools. If that makes you feel any better about your decision.
a little, but its the curiosity that kills me the most haha. I do feel good that the spot will open up for another deserving canditate right away though.

How are you guys going to cover the cost? I spoke to the bank (I'm Canadian) and they require a co-signor for a foreign school.
Idk what it's like in Canada, but I plan on being foced to dive very very deep into the US Federal Debt rabit hole. Talkin like 300k at least.

Most Canadians end up having to get a line of credit from one of the big banks. I believe most will offer up to $275,000. However, you will need a co-signor. OSAP (if you're from Ontario) will also give you a small amount per year ($8000-$10000 depending).

Does anyone know if Trinity has started handing out acceptances?

Most Canadians end up having to get a line of credit from one of the big banks. I believe most will offer up to $275,000. However, you will need a co-signor. OSAP (if you're from Ontario) will also give you a small amount per year ($8000-$10000 depending).

Yeah, I'm a Canadian and I'm covering it with an LOC from TD, some personal savings, and small yearly loans from my parents. However, for foreign schools TD will only offer a $200,000 LOC rather than $275,000 (not sure if that is standard for other banks, though).

And I actually just got back from a meeting with the bank, and the account manager said that there's a pretty good chance I can get it without a co-signor. Though a factor in that might be my family's business with the bank and my dad pushing for it to see if I could get it without a co-signor.

Yeah, I'm a Canadian and I'm covering it with an LOC from TD, some personal savings, and small yearly loans from my parents. However, for foreign schools TD will only offer a $200,000 LOC rather than $275,000 (not sure if that is standard for other banks, though).

And I actually just got back from a meeting with the bank, and the account manager said that there's a pretty good chance I can get it without a co-signor. Though a factor in that might be my family's business with the bank and my dad pushing for it to see if I could get it without a co-signor.

Would you not get a much more attractive interest rate if you had a cosignor with long and positive credit history though?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would you not get a much more attractive interest rate if you had a cosignor with long and positive credit history though?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's what I assumed would be true, but they said I should still be able to get the LOC at prime even without a co-signor. But nothing is definite yet, so we'll see what happens.

Does anyone know if Trinity has started handing out acceptances?
ABP said that Trinity is the only school that hasn't sent out acceptances yet

Apologies if I just missed the implied answer here, but did you tell them you had gotten an offer from another (non-Irish) school, or that you hadn't? Which answer do you believe helped your case? Thanks in advance!
Hey! They asked me whether the other Irish schools had given me an offer/interview. I told them that I did not receive an offer from the other Irish schools. The Aussie application cycle had not even started at this point.

Hi guys! Does anybody know anything about white coat ceremonies ? Do they happen at Irish schools ? I can't find anything online. I'm mostly interested about UCC bc I accepted my offer there :) good luck to everyone still waiting to hear !

Hi guys! Does anybody know anything about white coat ceremonies ? Do they happen at Irish schools ? I can't find anything online. I'm mostly interested about UCC bc I accepted my offer there :) good luck to everyone still waiting to hear !

White coats and white coat ceremonies aren't a thing here.

UL doesn't. UCD and RCSI do have white coat ceremonies. Not sure about Galway, Trinity, or UCC.

UL doesn't. UCD and RCSI do have white coat ceremonies. Not sure about Galway, Trinity, or UCC.

I did not know this. Back when we were applying to ABP, I had read on here that no one had the ceremonies. Ah times have changed .... !

I did not know this. Back when we were applying to ABP, I had read on here that no one had the ceremonies. Ah times have changed .... !

It's probably because in Ireland the default medical school path is a 5/6 year undergrad degree so its kind of silly to have a white coat ceremony for a bunch of Ugrads. But with more and more North Americans going to Ireland for GEM, they probably started doing it to fit in with what their students would expect from a post bachelor professional degree style medical education. I think now UCD even does a white coat ceremony for their undergrad med students too. They have one during a break just before starting clinical rotations. (which is year 3 or 4 for them i think)

It's probably because in Ireland the default medical school path is a 5/6 year undergrad degree so its kind of silly to have a white coat ceremony for a bunch of Ugrads. But with more and more North Americans going to Ireland for GEM, they probably started doing it to fit in with what their students would expect from a post bachelor professional degree style medical education. I think now UCD even does a white coat ceremony for their undergrad med students too. They have one during a break just before starting clinical rotations. (which is year 3 or 4 for them i think)

Possibly. But UL is a GEM-only school, and we don't do the ceremony! ;)

You don't see white coats in the hospitals (at least at the ones I've been at affiliated with UL). There's maybe one or two consultants, but that's it.

Has anyone else received an interview offer for RCSI-MUB? I just received one today for May 5 to 7th in Toronto.
I'm wondering if there are any past grads or current students out there that can comment on their experience (quality of education, living conditions etc). Also are there any data out there regarding match rates, for this school in particular, back to Canada?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Just got accepted to University of Limerick's GEM course! It was my number one choice so could not be happier!

I just had a question and I saw @sassa answering a lot of UL related ones. The letter of acceptance is a provisional letter. So anyone know the requirements/conditions are? Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got accepted to University of Limerick! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Got accepted to UL too :) so thrilled! and congrats to those who made it to UL :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just got accepted to University of Limerick's GEM course! It was my number one choice so could not be happier!

I just had a question and I saw @sassa answering a lot of UL related ones. The letter of acceptance is a provisional letter. So anyone know the requirements/conditions are? Thanks!

First off, congratulations!

I think the letter (if it came via email) would be the provisional letter because the official one will be couriered to you. From what I remember, everything was pretty clearly laid out - how much the deposit is to confirm your spot, and when to send it in by. Then there will be things like a medical questionnaire and a bunch of other paperwork to fill out.

Unless things have changed. But even if they have, it'll all be communicated in the package! :)

First off, congratulations!

I think the letter (if it came via email) would be the provisional letter because the official one will be couriered to you. From what I remember, everything was pretty clearly laid out - how much the deposit is to confirm your spot, and when to send it in by. Then there will be things like a medical questionnaire and a bunch of other paperwork to fill out.

Unless things have changed. But even if they have, it'll all be communicated in the package! :)

Thank you!! So just to clarify (since final exams are going on), I don't need to maintain a specific GPA this semester to maintain my spot right?

Thank you!! So just to clarify (since final exams are going on), I don't need to maintain a specific GPA this semester to maintain my spot right?

I can't say for sure (as I'm not admissions and I was 3.5 years graduated already when I was accepted so all I had to do was continue to exist lol) but I would assume pass (and obviously do as well as you can!) It's possible there might be a GPA stipulation in the official letter but that you'll have to wait a couple of days for.

I remember the provisions being you pass all your courses and obtain your final degree. No specific GPA as far as I remember.

I remember the provisions being you pass all your courses and obtain your final degree. No specific GPA as far as I remember.
Thank you! And lol, thank you @sassa!
I did graduate in June last year, but I'm taking extra courses as an unclassified student at UBC currently, and I've lost the motivation to study for the finals after seeing the acceptance letter lol, so I was wondering if they'd be fine with just D's at this point...

Accepted to UL GEM program! Interviewed on Saturday

Reactions: 2 users
If we haven't received an email, have we been rejected?