Assisted suicide for arthritis? Come to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But assisted suicide for it seems to be stretch.

And I have ankylosing spondylitis by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While i am not in support of physician assisted suicide personally, from the article the conditions for approval were "Under Bill C-14, adult patients can receive medical assistance in dying (MAID) if they meet four criteria: having a serious and incurable illness or disability, being in an advanced state of irreversible decline, enduring intolerable pain, and facing a "reasonably foreseeable" death.". I would say that it is not a low bar but rather a high one to reach and qualify for.

Reactions: 1 user
But assisted suicide for it seems to be stretch.

And I have ankylosing spondylitis by the way.

I'm Canadian. Assisted suicide is a strong way of putting it. Medically assisted death or dying is a more unbiased way of phrasing it without the negative connotations.

Regardless, it's not the condition itself that qualifies a patient for medically assisted death, but rather the degree of debilitation or loss of quality of life that the patient suffers from. There are other options to manage pain, but some patients are at the end of their life and simply want to die. It is their decision and I think it's fantastic that they now have a controlled, legal means of achieving death on their own terms.

You don't have to agree with it, as I understand it's controversial. But so were (are?) abortions.

Points taken. I'm not sure I'm against medically assisted death but the particular case seemed to "set a low bar". The law seemed to set a higher one.
But there are ways of dealing with chronic pain and it would seem to make sense to have the patients pursue those first.

Points taken. I'm not sure I'm against medically assisted death but the particular case seemed to "set a low bar". The law seemed to set a higher one.
But there are ways of dealing with chronic pain and it would seem to make sense to have the patients pursue those first.

Pain management isn't something to live for. Chronic pain conditions like arthritis can completely cut you off from the things that make life worth living and pain management cannot replace those things.