Aspiring Gyn-Onc residents/fellows

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LubDub0824

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some advice. I am currently a 3rd year medical student and have recently started to consider a career in ob/gyn, specifically to one day specialize in gyn-onc.

I really enjoyed my time during my gyn-onc rotation. I can envision myself as one - which is something I cannot say about any other specialty at this point. I also may be interested in uro-gyn. Though, I do want to keep an open mind while entering the general ob/gyn residency. The reason for this is not because I do not think I'll be content as a generalist, but rather that I will be more satisfied and happier as a gyn oncologist (the irony of this statement, as it is such a sad field).

So I really am looking for current gyn-onc fellows/attendings or aspiring gyn-onc residents - or for any physician in or aspiring to do a fellowship after residency in ob/gyn. I would like advice on the following:
- lifestyle during residency
- least tolerable aspects during residency
- what surprised you the most during residency
- did you ever find yourself not enjoying obstetrics or gyn? And nonetheless, pushed through for the fellowship?
- lifestyle during fellowship
- your opinion on your colleagues - are they the type of people you hang out with/grab beer with/explore the city with?
- what's your life outside of the hospital currently as a resident or a fellow?
- What does the lifestyle of a gyn onc attending look like in academic vs private vs community hospitals?

Thanks so much. I am ofcourse talking with my program directors and fellowship directors already, but I figured I would post this to get an idea of it across the nation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: