Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, a phone call for couples is appropriate; sometimes the programs just need a reminder to speak to one another

Thanks very for the answer. Could you or someone else comment on the timing of reaching out possibly? Best to email right after getting the invite, or wait until later sometime to see if they get an interview? Thanks for the time

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question: If there is no NRMP program code on ERAS, does this automatically mean that the program only accepts candidates outside of the match (aka pre-match)?

Did you check their website under application info/process? I don't have an answer but it would probably be best to email the program coordinator

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question because of interview worries (none yet)

US IMG applied for psych
USMLE 1 mid 230s
USMLE CK upper 240s
CS failed but retaking and will have results by rank list submission
6mo USCE
1lor psych, 1 neuro, 1 med school research prof

What are the chances of getting some bites? Not sure if US grads are getting preference invites now or should wait for MSPE (nothing bad, average student)after mid oct no interviews to start planning what to do post-match

Thanks!

You might be judge on your CS failure. CS is the most subjective exam of the steps. Odd that PDs assume the worst with that exam. One of my friends got high performance on english proficiency...I can barely understand him.

Good luck

Thanks very for the answer. Could you or someone else comment on the timing of reaching out possibly? Best to email right after getting the invite, or wait until later sometime to see if they get an interview? Thanks for the time

I would wait a couple of days after getting the invitation. Chances are the other program needs a day or two to get theirs out. Then, the coordinator should be able to give you a little information, (like I know when other programs are sending invites out) so maybe they can tell you to hang tight for a little while, or maybe even if the SO is getting an invitation or not.

I would wait a couple of days after getting the invitation. Chances are the other program needs a day or two to get theirs out. Then, the coordinator should be able to give you a little information, (like I know when other programs are sending invites out) so maybe they can tell you to hang tight for a little while, or maybe even if the SO is getting an invitation or not.

Thank you!

Quick question -

Im an IMG. I just noticed a couple of programs I applied to have mentioned they want 3 US LORs which I missed. I sent then 2 US, 1 Aus and 1 Dean. Should I withdraw and reapply with the extra US letter that I have? Or would that do more harm?

Last edited:

agreed; especially before Oct 1 as programs even within the same institution will differ on when/how they screen and invite applicants.
That said, if a program has invited you, then they are interested in recruiting you, and shooting them a quick email to say "thanks for the invite, just waiting on my partner to get word" may help push the process along.
It takes us about a week to coordinate with other specialties, some more some less

agreed; especially before Oct 1 as programs even within the same institution will differ on when/how they screen and invite applicants.
That said, if a program has invited you, then they are interested in recruiting you, and shooting them a quick email to say "thanks for the invite, just waiting on my partner to get word" may help push the process along.
It takes us about a week to coordinate with other specialties, some more some less
Thanks for your time

Thank you

Quick question -

Im an IMG, worked in australia for 2.5 years. I just noticed a couple of programs I applied to have mentioned they want 3 US LORs which I missed. I sent then 2 US, 1 Aus and 1 Dean. Should I withdraw and reapply with the extra US letter that I have? Or would that do more harm?
Likely to do more harm. Just go with what you've got.

My main worry is if they're using filters, it won't even show up on their list as I won't be meeting their eligibility requirements

Not sure if that's the way filters are used..

Quick question -

Im an IMG, worked in australia for 2.5 years. I just noticed a couple of programs I applied to have mentioned they want 3 US LORs which I missed. I sent then 2 US, 1 Aus and 1 Dean. Should I withdraw and reapply with the extra US letter that I have? Or would that do more harm?

I feel like you asked this same question on another thread, or perhaps it was someone else with the same question.

In any case, the answer is that you have no options. If you "withdraw", you can't submit a new application. You can only reinstate your old one. You're stuck with what you've got.

Your only option is to add a comment to the end of your PS stating that you have an additional US LOR if desired, assuming you either have a copy, or your letter writer would be willing to email it directly to programs. I would NOT have you or the letter writer email it to programs uninvited, that's a bad plan (plus perhaps violates ERAS rules). But honestly I'd probably just leave it alone.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like you asked this same question on another thread, or perhaps it was someone else with the same question.

In any case, the answer is that you have no options. If you "withdraw", you can't submit a new application. You can only reinstate your old one. You're stuck with what you've got.

Your only option is to add a comment to the end of your PS stating that you have an additional US LOR if desired, assuming you either have a copy, or your letter writer would be willing to email it directly to programs. I would NOT have you or the letter writer email it to programs uninvited, that's a bad plan (plus perhaps violates ERAS rules). But honestly I'd probably just leave it alone.
That wasn't me but thanks for the detailed response!

Quick question because of interview worries (none yet)

US IMG applied for psych
USMLE 1 mid 230s
USMLE CK upper 240s
CS failed but retaking and will have results by rank list submission
6mo USCE
1lor psych, 1 neuro, 1 med school research prof

What are the chances of getting some bites? Not sure if US grads are getting preference invites now or should wait for MSPE (nothing bad, average student)after mid oct no interviews to start planning what to do post-match

Thanks!

Possession of a standard ECFMG-certificate is a strict requirement in 99% of programs, to be considered for an interview if you are an IMG... at least in surgery. As by programs’ “how to apply” pages. I looked up ALL of them.

You, clearly, have never been issued a certificate . As it requires you to have passed 1,2CK,CS.

How about the program in which you had your USCE?

Thanks for this thread.
I'm an IMG(240+/250+/1st/yog=5yrs) applied for IM. Friends with similar package have got 2-3 IVs, while I haven't. May I know how many rounds does IM programs send out IVs? My last name starts with "Z", so I will be at the bottom of the list. So I'm afraid program will stop looking before reaching me. Any ideas? Thanks a million!

Thanks for this thread.
I'm an IMG(240+/250+/1st/yog=5yrs) applied for IM. Friends with similar package have got 2-3 IVs, while I haven't. May I know how many rounds does IM programs send out IVs? My last name starts with "Z", so I will be at the bottom of the list. So I'm afraid program will stop looking before reaching me. Any ideas? Thanks a million!
1. Programs send many (1-10) waves of invites. You can't know how many each program will send so don't worry about this.
2. I doubt the fact that your last name starts with Z will have any impact on the invites you get, or the timing of them.

Thanks for this thread.

It's done on a computer. I don't know of any programs that go down the alphabet when choosing how to prioritize interview invitations.

Another question. If my husband is applying to law schools, and has an acceptance (from a top program), is it appropriate to contact PDs at programs in that city to say (with all honesty) that programs in that city will be an absolute priority for me? (Translation: Please interview me) If yes, when is it appropriate to make that contact?

I plan to be upfront about that fact in interviews. "My husband has the option to go to law school here, this is a city where we'd like to live and my rank list *will* reflect that." I'm just not sure if it's appropriate to try to make contact in ohhh let's say November, to increase my chances of interview in a place I look like I have no ties to.

Another question. If my husband is applying to law schools, and has an acceptance (from a top program), is it appropriate to contact PDs at programs in that city to say (with all honesty) that programs in that city will be an absolute priority for me? (Translation: Please interview me) If yes, when is it appropriate to make that contact?

I plan to be upfront about that fact in interviews. "My husband has the option to go to law school here, this is a city where we'd like to live and my rank list *will* reflect that." I'm just not sure if it's appropriate to try to make contact in ohhh let's say November, to increase my chances of interview in a place I look like I have no ties to.

This is the kind of thing I don't mind getting a heads up about from an applicant. It won't guarantee an interview if you don't meet the criteria, but it's info that goes into the mix of considerations when we know about it. Sometimes it comes out in the MSPE, but that can be hit or miss.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the kind of thing I don't mind getting a heads up about from an applicant. It won't guarantee an interview if you don't meet the criteria, but it's info that goes into the mix of considerations when we know about it. Sometimes it comes out in the MSPE, but that can be hit or miss.

How and when would you prefer an applicant say this to you?

It's done on a computer. I don't know of any programs that go down the alphabet when choosing how to prioritize interview invitations.
A PC I know is from a competitive specialty. She told me applicants are listed in the system based on the alphabet of last name.

Thank you all for the advice! I'm going to be that person who brings the doughnuts and apple fritters to my interview! Will a dozen be enough?

I hope you're kidding.

But if you are not kidding:
  1. Don't don't do this.
  2. Why entertain the idea to the point of posting about it? It should have been obvious (prior to the post) that it probably isn't a well thought out one.

A PC I know is from a competitive specialty. She told me applicants are listed in the system based on the alphabet of last name.

That's how they're listed, but that's not how programs choose to prioritize interviews. List of all applicants gets filtered by board scores, medical school, citizenship/visa status, "self identification," number of publications or research experiences, AOA status, or whatever else the program chooses within ERAS. Invites are sent based on who passes a filter that the program designs, not on where they stand in the alphabet. If you don't get an interview at a certain program, it won't be because of where you stand in the alphabet. Please get that notion out of your head.

That's how they're listed, but that's not how programs choose to prioritize interviews. List of all applicants gets filtered by board scores, medical school, citizenship/visa status, "self identification," number of publications or research experiences, AOA status, or whatever else the program chooses within ERAS. Invites are sent based on who passes a filter that the program designs, not on where they stand in the alphabet. If you don't get an interview at a certain program, it won't be because of where you stand in the alphabet. Please get that notion out of your head.
Thanks for reply. One more question, I have 5 months gap. Is there a "gap" filter on eras? Thanks!

Thanks for reply. One more question, I have 5 months gap. Is there a "gap" filter on eras? Thanks!

What do you mean by "gap"? Is it a gap between medical school graduation and the start date of residency (July 2018)? Or is there another gap that you are referencing.

What do you mean by "gap"? Is it a gap between medical school graduation and the start date of residency (July 2018)? Or is there another gap that you are referencing.
I mean I took 5mons preparing for USMLE. Does the system have such a filter?

I mean I took 5mons preparing for USMLE. Does the system have such a filter?

I didn't see one for that among the system-defined filters, but I could create one for "Medical Education Interrupted" if that was important to my program. The filters programs use is something entirely beyond an applicant's control, so please don't spend life energy worrying about it. Concentrate on your strategy for contacting programs to see if you can increase the number of invitations you receive, and making the most of the interview opportunities you get.

Not to increase the paranoia on this site, but there is something to this thought.
Yes, it's all done on a computer.
Yes, filters are set for a threshold of scores, AOA status, etc that we want,
then the reviews of applications begin in a systematic fashion -- right down the list that the computer produces, alphabetically.

It's possible that somebody at the end of the alphabet may get left out as interview spots are limited, and at some point the review process stops.

• Wow
Not to increase the paranoia on this site, but there is something to this thought.
Yes, it's all done on a computer.
Yes, filters are set for a threshold of scores, AOA status, etc that we want,
then the reviews of applications begin in a systematic fashion -- right down the list that the computer produces, alphabetically.

It's possible that somebody at the end of the alphabet may get left out as interview spots are limited, and at some point the review process stops.

I guess theoretically possible but essentially unlikely. No program wants to miss a strong applicant just because their last name starts at the end of the alphabet. We use filters for our criteria to make the list manageable so that everyone who at least meets the criteria gets reviewed. Some programs have one person doing the initial screen, some programs divide up the process into teams. Whatever way they choose, programs use a system that works for them.

And alphabetical is the most common display option, but it's not the only one.

Except that you did...and no, there really isn't anything to that thought. Other than paranoia.

I guess theoretically possible but essentially unlikely. No program wants to miss a strong applicant just because their last name starts at the end of the alphabet. We use filters for our criteria to make the list manageable so that everyone who at least meets the criteria gets reviewed. Some programs have one person doing the initial screen, some programs divide up the process into teams. Whatever way they choose, programs use a system that works for them.

And alphabetical is the most common display option, but it's not the only one.

OK, Fair.

But then the question is still there: What happens when a program has filled their interview allotment but other qualified candidates remain?

OK, Fair.

But then the question is still there: What happens when a program has filled their interview allotment but other qualified candidates remain?

My program doesn't send invitations out until every applicant that meets criteria has been given a review, then we send invitations out in batches. We don't send out more invitations than we have interview slots, but some interview dates are more popular than others. If we send an invitation to someone who isn't available on an open date, we use a wait list for their preferred date. I guess as an applicant you just have to trust that programs have systems and the systems work. Yes, there are always more people who qualify than we can possibly interview--but the invitations are never sent arbitrarily in a way that disadvantage applicants whose last name start with letters S-Z.

OK, Fair.

What are you going to do about it, change your name in court???

Usually you invite more than you have spots for just like every other application process you’ve been through. For us we found 20-30% politely declined right off the bat, and (at the end of the season), probably another 20-30% cancelled their interview.

OK, Fair.

"Qualified candidates" will always remain un-interviewed. In basically every career/job/school opportunity ever. That's life.

Trying to figure out why you did/n't get an interview from Program X but you did/n't get one from Program Y is a sure way to drive yourself completely crazy, without any benefit from it.

I was wondering if PDs or people reviewing applications can see our photos before interview invite is given.

My friend didn't have his photo done professionally and he seems to have a less IV's than our group of friends even with slightly better stats.

My program doesn't send invitations out until every applicant that meets criteria has been given a review, then we send invitations out in batches. We don't send out more invitations than we have interview slots, but some interview dates are more popular than others. If we send an invitation to someone who isn't available on an open date, we use a wait list for their preferred date. I guess as an applicant you just have to trust that programs have systems and the systems work. Yes, there are always more people who qualify than
"Qualified candidates" will always remain un-interviewed. In basically every career/job/school opportunity ever. That's life.

Trying to figure out why you did/n't get an interview from Program X but you did/n't get one from Program Y is a sure way to drive yourself completely crazy, without any benefit from it.

I agree. But what I gathered from your previous comment was that an application not getting reviewed, whether it’s a “sorted by alphabet” issue or otherwise, is never part of that equation?

Who decides how many "interview slots" each program is allowed to? is there an average of the mentioned slots per program?

Each program decides on their own, nobody regulates it

I spoke with a PD who has 6 spots in her program for PGY-1 and she told me that she receives about 3 000 applications per year and that she invites 75 to 100 applicants. She added that is "my maximum I can invite. I don't have a choice". So I was wondering.

I spoke with a PD who has 6 spots in her program for PGY-1 and she told me that she receives about 3 000 applications per year and that she invites 75 to 100 applicants. She added that is "my maximum I can invite. I don't have a choice". So I was wondering.

She’s probably referring to the time and money that it takes to interview. It’s a boatload of work to find applicants, get days set up, get faculty and residents to pull away from clinical duties all to do an interview day. She could also be told by her chair that she has a limit on spots for whatever reasons they want to come up with. Or she could just be blowing off the question.

I was wondering if PDs or people reviewing applications can see our photos before interview invite is given.

My friend didn't have his photo done professionally and he seems to have a less IV's than our group of friends even with slightly better stats.

Programs have the option of viewing photos, or screening them. We screen them until interview invites go out.

We aim to interview something like 8-10 people per spot. A smaller program like the one you reference may interview more just to get numbers.

I am currently doing a rotation in a hospital I applied to. I haven't received any interview yet. Is it ok to go see the PD or the coordinator and ask for an interview straight up? I already spoke with the PD briefly telling her that I applied to her program and that I was interested (the same PD who told me she receives about 3000 applications...).

I am currently doing a rotation in a hospital I applied to. I haven't received any interview yet. Is it ok to go see the PD or the coordinator and ask for an interview straight up? I already spoke with the PD briefly telling her that I applied to her program and that I was interested (the same PD who told me she receives about 3000 applications...).

It's OK to introduce yourself to the PD and PC (if you haven't already), explain the situation and request that they review your application while letting them know how much you've enjoyed being there. One of my worst days at work was the day I sent out my "regret" letters, only to discover that one of the recipients was currently rotating on one of my department's services. I had no idea (our medical education office schedules 4th year rotations) and had to do a lot of embarrassed backpedaling that day.

Thank you @mcl. I already introduced myself to both and expressed my interest in the program. however, I know that I am a bit below their requirements step score wise. I just don't want to be screened out for few point off. So I was wondering if it was ok to ask for an interview and show them that despite the scores, I am a perfect match for the program or should I just wait and hope for the best. thanks.

Ps: Why were you embarrassed about the applicant you rejected?

Thank you @mcl. I already introduced myself to both and expressed my interest in the program. however, I know that I am a bit below their requirements step score wise. I just don't want to be screened out for few point off. So I was wondering if it was ok to ask for an interview and show them that despite the scores, I am a perfect match for the program or should I just wait and hope for the best. thanks.

Ps: Why were you embarrassed about the applicant you rejected?

I was embarrassed because she was at my institution, in my department, working with my residents, auditioning for our program, and I sent a generic form letter in the middle of the day while she was working. If I'd known she was there, it's likely she would have received a courtesy invitation to interview--and if she was so far below our criteria that she wasn't going to be interviewed, either the PD or Division Director of the service she was on would have told her privately.

If the PD and PC know you are there, and know you are interested, I don't think it's wise for you to be the person point-blank asking for the interview. Other options: You can ask about your status. You can ask about the likelihood of an offer. You can ask the faculty you're working with to recommend that you be interviewed. You can let the residents on your team know you haven't been invited yet and see if they'll give the PD the positive feedback that would lead to an invitation.

Great suggestions...thank you @mcl.
Another day, I will ask about the "courtesy invitation". Not really understanding why a program will waste time, resources, and most importantly give false hope if they are not interested in a candidate. Anyway, thank you for your time.