Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all. Thanks to everyone who's been answering questions, it's nice to see some light shed on the enigmatic selection process...

IMG here, YOG 2017, Step 1 high 250s, CS pass, CK result awaited.

So, the thing is I'm going to be applying to IM this season, but I have only one IM LOR from a private practice observership. Other than that, I have a couple of LORs from a clinical elective in another specialty in a large university hospital that I think are good ones, but they must have mentioned things specific to that specialty. So I'm wondering:

1) Would the different specialty LORs hurt my IM application?
2) Would it be worth it to arrange IM observerships AFTER having applied to programs on 15th September?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. Thanks to everyone who's been answering questions, it's nice to see some light shed on the enigmatic selection process...

IMG here, YOG 2017, Step 1 high 250s, CS pass, CK result awaited.

So, the thing is I'm going to be applying to IM this season, but I have only one IM LOR from a private practice observership. Other than that, I have a couple of LORs from a clinical elective in another specialty in a large university hospital that I think are good ones, but they must have mentioned things specific to that specialty. So I'm wondering:

1) Would the different specialty LORs hurt my IM application?
2) Would it be worth it to arrange IM observerships AFTER having applied to programs on 15th September?

Thanks.
1) Yes. But it's impossible to say how much (was it a plastic surgery or pathology elective, or was it FM or peds?) and there's not much you can do about it now.
2) No...unless you've got a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket that you want to spend on another useless observership.

Reactions: 1 user
1) Yes. But it's impossible to say how much (was it a plastic surgery or pathology elective, or was it FM or peds?) and there's not much you can do about it now.
2) No...unless you've got a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket that you want to spend on another useless observership.

Thank you for the response. The elective was in anesthesiology. Would you suggest applying with these existing LORs or delay applying to programs until I can get a couple more LORs from IM observerships? Are observership LORs that useless?

Thank you for the response. The elective was in anesthesiology. Would you suggest applying with these existing LORs or delay applying to programs until I can get a couple more LORs from IM observerships? Are observership LORs that useless?
Anesthesiology isn't too bad.

The only thing worse than applying with the LORs you have now would be waiting (a few months, an entire application cycle) and applying with a couple of useless observership LORs.

Apply now.

Anesthesiology isn't too bad.

The only thing worse than applying with the LORs you have now would be waiting (a few months, an entire application cycle) and applying with a couple of useless observership LORs.

Apply now.

Thank you. Appreciate the insight.

Hi guys, thanks for having this thread; it's been really helpful.

I do have one question that I didn't find any recent answers to:

I'm a IMG applying this fall. I'll receive my Step 2 CK results on September 13th and my credentials are already verified by the ECFMG.
I realize that my USMLE Transcript (containing my USMLE scores) will be updated the same day and ready on September 15th.
However, I got the impression that the ECFMG Status Report, that tells PDs "ECFMG-certified: (Yes or No)", will only be updated when the ECFMG issues my ECFMG certificate. This supposedly takes about 10 business days. So even though I'll have all my Step results as well as status verification by the ECFMG, I will only be ECFMG certified well after programs start reviewing applications.

I wanted to find out whether this will have an impact on program's screening procedures in ERAS and my expected number on interview invitations?

Thanks for the insight!

Hi guys, thanks for having this thread; it's been really helpful.

I do have one question that I didn't find any recent answers to:

I'm a IMG applying this fall. I'll receive my Step 2 CK results on September 13th and my credentials are already verified by the ECFMG.
I realize that my USMLE Transcript (containing my USMLE scores) will be updated the same day and ready on September 15th.
However, I got the impression that the ECFMG Status Report, that tells PDs "ECFMG-certified: (Yes or No)", will only be updated when the ECFMG issues my ECFMG certificate. This supposedly takes about 10 business days. So even though I'll have all my Step results as well as status verification by the ECFMG, I will only be ECFMG certified well after programs start reviewing applications.

I wanted to find out whether this will have an impact on program's screening procedures in ERAS and my expected number on interview invitations?

Thanks for the insight!
ECFMG "verified" and "certified" actually each have very specific meanings in terms of the NRMP (not sure about ERAS) so it's probably helpful to define the terminology. "ECFMG verified" means IMGs that have passed the USMLE exams (step 1, 2CK, 2CS) but have not yet graduated from medical school but presumably will prior to July 1st of the match year. "ECFMG certified" means IMGs that have passed the USMLE exams AND graduated from medical school.

I'm assuming you have already graduated from medical school and are finishing up the USMLEs prior to applying. In that case you are neither ECFMG "verified" or "certified." Once you pass step 2CK, you will proceed directly to "certified." The ECFMG checks the credentials (i.e. medical school, etc) of all people who sign up (and won't let them register for the USMLEs without), which is what I assume you are referring to when you say "my credentials are already verified."

When offering interviews, PDs won't care about ECFMG certification vs verification. They will be able to see what USMLE steps you have passed and what your scores are, and they will assume that you will be finished medical school before July 2018 (why else would you be applying to the match this year.) When ECFMG certification (or verification) comes into play is when they make their rank lists, and it mostly has to do with people who were interviewed prior to taking one of the USMLE steps (usually 2CS). They will want to see that you have passed the exam before ranking you.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this wonderful thread!

I am an international-AMG which means I will need some sort of document (J1, H1B, OPT etc.) for my residency. I am applying this year, currently with F1 visa. Beside the usual visa options such as J1 and H1B, I also have the option to get L2-EAD which will basically allow me to work without sponsorship from hospital/program. My questions are:

1) for those programs that say "only accept J1 visa" on their website, does it mean any other visa types like L2 are not accepted even though no sponsorship from their side is needed? or it specifically refers to the fact that they are not sponsor H1B?

2) on ERAS, it asks "will you need visa sponsorship (J1/H1B)", is that ok for me to put "no" given the option of L2. If so, am I essentially the same as US-AMG in terms of the process of filtering? In other words, is there any program place filter based on citizenship status?

3) ERAS also asks "the visa status I expected to secure to participate the program" and I checked "F1-OPT, H1B, J1, EAD, and L2-EAD" as my possible status, since it says "select all that may apply". Is there any issue with that? Theoretically, these are all potential options depending on the programs. Is it common for program to filter based on the answer to this question? (like J-1 box must be checked for those program who "only accept J1 visa"). I just don't want to be filtered out while I do have options that people might not know about. No offense at all. I mean L2-EAD is pretty rare, I wouldn't be surprised if there are PD/PC who have never heard of this.

I apologize for this long post but my situation is quite unique and I was not able to get much advises from people at my school as they have never seen people with the same situation like me in the past. I would love to hear opinions/advises from PD/PC and whoever else might be able to provide some insights.

Thank you again!

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this wonderful thread!

I am an international-AMG which means I will need some sort of document (J1, H1B, OPT etc.) for my residency. I am applying this year, currently with F1 visa. Beside the usual visa options such as J1 and H1B, I also have the option to get L2-EAD which will basically allow me to work without sponsorship from hospital/program. My questions are:

1) for those programs that say "only accept J1 visa" on their website, does it mean any other visa types like L2 are not accepted even though no sponsorship from their side is needed? or it specifically refers to the fact that they are not sponsor H1B?

2) on ERAS, it asks "will you need visa sponsorship (J1/H1B)", is that ok for me to put "no" given the option of L2. If so, am I essentially the same as US-AMG in terms of the process of filtering? In other words, is there any program place filter based on citizenship status?

3) ERAS also asks "the visa status I expected to secure to participate the program" and I checked "F1-OPT, H1B, J1, EAD, and L2-EAD" as my possible status, since it says "select all that may apply". Is there any issue with that? Theoretically, these are all potential options depending on the programs. Is it common for program to filter based on the answer to this question? (like J-1 box must be checked for those program who "only accept J1 visa"). I just don't want to be filtered out while I do have options that people might not know about. No offense at all. I mean L2-EAD is pretty rare, I wouldn't be surprised if there are PD/PC who have never heard of this.

I apologize for this long post but my situation is quite unique and I was not able to get much advises from people at my school as they have never seen people with the same situation like me in the past. I would love to hear opinions/advises from PD/PC and whoever else might be able to provide some insights.

Thank you again!

Visa questions are complicated, and the answer is institution dependent. Programs that state they are J1 only might be willing to consider you if you have an EAD via a different visa pathway, but they also might not. As you have mentioned, many programs may have no experience with an L2 visa, although ultimately it leads to an EAD which then allows you to work. So, theoretically, if you get an L2 visa and then an EAD, many programs will simply let you work on your EAD (just like someone on a fiance visa would). I guess my point is that once you have an EAD, it really doesn't matter what type of visa you have.

But it's certainly possible that a program may care, and may simply be too worried that there are some rules / issues / problems with these types of visas, and simply not want to deal with it.

An L2 visa is a spousal visa to the L1. Your visa is linked to your partner. Should they lose their job, or otherwise be unable to work, your visa vaporizes instantly. Some programs may be unwilling to take that risk. Reading about the L2 process, it sounds slow and convoluted. Also, it sounds like you might need to renew your visa perhaps every 2 years, and renewing requires that you leave the US, and can take 90 days. You need to research this completely before proceeding, make sure it's a stable way to have a work authorization for your entire training.

Programs certainly can filter or limit residents based upon work authorization. I doubt anyone "excludes" anyone who checks the L2-EAD box.

As whether you should check the box for "will you need sponsorship", I would absolutely check yes. Your F1 will qualify you for an OPT, but that's still sponsored by your medical school. Your L2 would be sponsored by your partner's employer. Saying you don't need visa sponsorship at all is not correct.

thanks again everyone for this useful thread. I had a quick question- I have an otherwise competitive application for IM and i'm applying to mostly higher end academic programs. When I was applying to med school, i had significant difficulty even getting interviews due to my undergrad education which was known as an ultraconservative, Christian bible college with strong political leanings. I crushed the MCAT, had a 4.0 GPA, research, clinical experience etc and barely squeaked into 1 (but very solid) medical school with many rejections. I couldn't help but feel that my undergrad played a significant role in that.

My question- how much does where you went for undergrad affect your application? Would a program director even notice that? I just get nervous based on the experience I had for medical school, which was denial from even my meh state school despite my MCAT being 12 points above their avg...

Visa questions are complicated, and the answer is institution dependent. Programs that state they are J1 only might be willing to consider you if you have an EAD via a different visa pathway, but they also might not. As you have mentioned, many programs may have no experience with an L2 visa, although ultimately it leads to an EAD which then allows you to work. So, theoretically, if you get an L2 visa and then an EAD, many programs will simply let you work on your EAD (just like someone on a fiance visa would). I guess my point is that once you have an EAD, it really doesn't matter what type of visa you have.

But it's certainly possible that a program may care, and may simply be too worried that there are some rules / issues / problems with these types of visas, and simply not want to deal with it.

An L2 visa is a spousal visa to the L1. Your visa is linked to your partner. Should they lose their job, or otherwise be unable to work, your visa vaporizes instantly. Some programs may be unwilling to take that risk. Reading about the L2 process, it sounds slow and convoluted. Also, it sounds like you might need to renew your visa perhaps every 2 years, and renewing requires that you leave the US, and can take 90 days. You need to research this completely before proceeding, make sure it's a stable way to have a work authorization for your entire training.

Programs certainly can filter or limit residents based upon work authorization. I doubt anyone "excludes" anyone who checks the L2-EAD box.

As whether you should check the box for "will you need sponsorship", I would absolutely check yes. Your F1 will qualify you for an OPT, but that's still sponsored by your medical school. Your L2 would be sponsored by your partner's employer. Saying you don't need visa sponsorship at all is not correct.

Thank you very much for your response!

The exact question on the ERAS is that "Will you need visa sponsorship through ECFMG (J-1) or the teaching hospital (H-1B) in order to participate in U.S. residency and/or fellowship training?". Technically it only refers to H1B and J1. Also, when I click yes to that question, the only two options become J1 and H1B (no more OPT, L2 etc.). So should I check "no" instead, any thoughts? I definitely do not want to get into the trouble of being dishonest or tricking the system. The concern I have for checking no is that obviously I do not currently have either OPT or L2 right now, but I definitely do expect to get them before the start of my residency. However, there is always chances of being delayed/rejected, however small it is, before I actually get them.

The other question I have is what is the best way to communicate this issue with PD/PC and when. Should I explain my situation to them now before the app opens? Should I ask them via email after I receive interview invites (as one of my advisors suggests)? Should I bring this topic during the interview (obviously with PD/aPD only, not other faculty or residents)? Or should I just not say anything (if they don't ask) and assume they have went through my app and seen all the possible visa status I checked there? I understand this topic is only going to hurt me but I would rather clarifying this (but minimizing the damage if possible...) than having real problems down the line (such as not able to start/complete the program etc.).

Any advice and guidance would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you again for the help!

ECFMG "verified" and "certified" actually each have very specific meanings in terms of the NRMP (not sure about ERAS) so it's probably helpful to define the terminology. "ECFMG verified" means IMGs that have passed the USMLE exams (step 1, 2CK, 2CS) but have not yet graduated from medical school but presumably will prior to July 1st of the match year. "ECFMG certified" means IMGs that have passed the USMLE exams AND graduated from medical school.

I'm assuming you have already graduated from medical school and are finishing up the USMLEs prior to applying. In that case you are neither ECFMG "verified" or "certified." Once you pass step 2CK, you will proceed directly to "certified." The ECFMG checks the credentials (i.e. medical school, etc) of all people who sign up (and won't let them register for the USMLEs without), which is what I assume you are referring to when you say "my credentials are already verified."

When offering interviews, PDs won't care about ECFMG certification vs verification. They will be able to see what USMLE steps you have passed and what your scores are, and they will assume that you will be finished medical school before July 2018 (why else would you be applying to the match this year.) When ECFMG certification (or verification) comes into play is when they make their rank lists, and it mostly has to do with people who were interviewed prior to taking one of the USMLE steps (usually 2CS). They will want to see that you have passed the exam before ranking you.
I am in a very similar situation. Just got my result for CK today and am awaiting certification. Building on the question you just answered, should I just apply today or wait till the 14th and hope that by then my certification process is complete. Receiving my score today, I understand that from this point forward I'm roughly looking at 10ish days (hopefully sooner) till I am certified and another 24-48 hours for that information to be updated on myeras. This gives me a strong possibility of not being ECFMG certified by the 15th and being an IMG I would like to have my applications sent by the 14th latest to give myself the best shot at being looked at. Is there a difference in applying today vs. the 14th? I realize that in either scenario the time stamp would be for the 15th when the program looks at the application but does the order of applications from now until the 14th have any bearing on the order in which a program will view the applications ( an application sent on the 6th is placed above an application sent on the 14th). Thanks for your help.

Is there a difference in applying today vs. the 14th? I realize that in either scenario the time stamp would be for the 15th when the program looks at the application but does the order of applications from now until the 14th have any bearing on the order in which a program will view the applications ( an application sent on the 6th is placed above an application sent on the 14th). Thanks for your help.

No. There is no difference.

I am in a very similar situation. Just got my result for CK today and am awaiting certification. Building on the question you just answered, should I just apply today or wait till the 14th and hope that by then my certification process is complete. Receiving my score today, I understand that from this point forward I'm roughly looking at 10ish days (hopefully sooner) till I am certified and another 24-48 hours for that information to be updated on myeras. This gives me a strong possibility of not being ECFMG certified by the 15th and being an IMG I would like to have my applications sent by the 14th latest to give myself the best shot at being looked at. Is there a difference in applying today vs. the 14th? I realize that in either scenario the time stamp would be for the 15th when the program looks at the application but does the order of applications from now until the 14th have any bearing on the order in which a program will view the applications ( an application sent on the 6th is placed above an application sent on the 14th). Thanks for your help.
No, it doesn't matter when you finish your application as long as it's done by 9/15. The order programs download applications on 9/15 makes no difference.

And again, I don't think officially being ECFMG certified by 9/15 matters one bit. Programs will be able to see that you've graduated medical school, and they will be able to see that you've passed all the USMLE steps and what your scores are. Those are the only things that matter. As long as you're ECFMG certified by the time programs are making rank lists (mid-February) you're fine.

Hello - I have an active physician assistant license. Should I include that in my ERAS application?

Thanks!

Thank you very much for your response!

The exact question on the ERAS is that "Will you need visa sponsorship through ECFMG (J-1) or the teaching hospital (H-1B) in order to participate in U.S. residency and/or fellowship training?". Technically it only refers to H1B and J1. Also, when I click yes to that question, the only two options become J1 and H1B (no more OPT, L2 etc.). So should I check "no" instead, any thoughts? I definitely do not want to get into the trouble of being dishonest or tricking the system. The concern I have for checking no is that obviously I do not currently have either OPT or L2 right now, but I definitely do expect to get them before the start of my residency. However, there is always chances of being delayed/rejected, however small it is, before I actually get them.

The other question I have is what is the best way to communicate this issue with PD/PC and when. Should I explain my situation to them now before the app opens? Should I ask them via email after I receive interview invites (as one of my advisors suggests)? Should I bring this topic during the interview (obviously with PD/aPD only, not other faculty or residents)? Or should I just not say anything (if they don't ask) and assume they have went through my app and seen all the possible visa status I checked there? I understand this topic is only going to hurt me but I would rather clarifying this (but minimizing the damage if possible...) than having real problems down the line (such as not able to start/complete the program etc.).

Any advice and guidance would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you again for the help!

My advice would have been to check off that you need sponsorship, and also check off OPT and L2. But it sounds like that's not an option.

OPT isn't going to scare anyone. Lots of residents train on OPT for their first year. But then they need another visa for the rest -- either J or H (usually). What you're suggesting is that you'll train on an OPT for the first year, and then an L2 for the rest. I would look at it this way: what happens if L2 sin't an option? Maybe the L program is closed by Mr. T. because all those foreigners are taking our jerbs. Or maybe the hospital's employment office simply won't allow L2 visas for some reason. Or your partner loses their L1, or they convert to an H1b (which would allow them to become a US Citizen). Any of those could happen, or something else. In all of those cases, you'd need visa sponsorship. Hence, I would answer the question "yes", and then explain your visa issue at the end of your PS if being on an L is important. If you simply don't care (i.e. you'd be happy with a J visa), then I wouldn't bring it up at all -- simply apply to programs, match somewhere, and then you can sort out whether it's an option or not -- and if not, proceed with the J/H planned.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice would have been to check off that you need sponsorship, and also check off OPT and L2. But it sounds like that's not an option.

OPT isn't going to scare anyone. Lots of residents train on OPT for their first year. But then they need another visa for the rest -- either J or H (usually). What you're suggesting is that you'll train on an OPT for the first year, and then an L2 for the rest. I would look at it this way: what happens if L2 sin't an option? Maybe the L program is closed by Mr. T. because all those foreigners are taking our jerbs. Or maybe the hospital's employment office simply won't allow L2 visas for some reason. Or your partner loses their L1, or they convert to an H1b (which would allow them to become a US Citizen). Any of those could happen, or something else. In all of those cases, you'd need visa sponsorship. Hence, I would answer the question "yes", and then explain your visa issue at the end of your PS if being on an L is important. If you simply don't care (i.e. you'd be happy with a J visa), then I wouldn't bring it up at all -- simply apply to programs, match somewhere, and then you can sort out whether it's an option or not -- and if not, proceed with the J/H planned.

Thanks for your great advice. I agree, sounds like L2 just has too many uncertainties and risks. Alright, I will just answer "yes" to that. Thanks again!

I recently got to see my MSPE and it is not in the format recommended by the AAMC. Not even close. I need some time to work with my school to correct it. Do MSPEs all get released on October 1st? Would it make a difference if I submit mine now or on September 30th?

I am an IMG repeat applicant and thinking of requesting my letter writers to upload updated LoRs since I have done few things to improve my application this year.
I was wondering if I can also request ECFMG to upload my previous LoRs for reuse just in case.
Can both be done or will I run into some landmine?

Last edited:
Another question:
Someone suggested that a BLS, ACLS and PALS certification might improve my application.
I came across some online courses on google search claiming to be AHA approved.
Are these online certification acceptable by Programs or they are a scam and I should refrain from adding them to my ERAS application?

Another question:
Someone suggested that a BLS, ACLS and PALS certification might improve my application.
Are these online certification acceptable by Programs or they are a scam and I should refrain from adding them to my ERAS application?

I don't think these add anything. You'll get recertified at orientation. Online courses without any practical experience is pretty useless.

Reactions: 2 users
Another question:
Most of the online programs still require you to get a skills check before you can be certified. My local fire department offered skills checks last time I was looking for one not by the hospital.

I have a question:
Do other MD schools know when you have cancelled interviews at other institutions?

I am accepted at my state DO and have MD schools interviewing me that are across the country. I will not uproot my family because I don't have to.
I still have interviews at both my state MDs and will not be cancelling those. Will it negatively affect me to cancel the out of state MD interviews?

If not, when I cancel should I not say it's for a DO acceptance?

How would PD look on one year gap due to maternity leave?
(I'm an IMG from Europe, and one year paid maternity leave is a norm in my country. I'm aware that our culture (where mother is a primary caregiver) and parental leave policies are very different that those in US where mothers return to work after 4-12 weeks.)

As long as a gap is explained, I expect that most programs will not be concerned. However, they might be concerned that you've been out of medical practice for a year -- that would be the same regardless of the reason for the gap.

I have a question:
Do other MD schools know when you have cancelled interviews at other institutions?

I am accepted at my state DO and have MD schools interviewing me that are across the country. I will not uproot my family because I don't have to.
I still have interviews at both my state MDs and will not be cancelling those. Will it negatively affect me to cancel the out of state MD interviews?

If not, when I cancel should I not say it's for a DO acceptance?
This thread is about residency applications. You'll need to ask this in the premed forums

Does it matter if LOR is signed by the letter writer?
Since it requires them to print, sign, scan and upload the LOR which is too time consuming not to mention that the size must be 500KB or less which adds another level of difficulty.

Does it matter if LOR is signed by the letter writer?
Since it requires them to print, sign, scan and upload the LOR which is too time consuming not to mention that the size must be 500KB or less which adds another level of difficulty.

It's rare to get one that isn't signed. I suppose a program that questioned the authenticity of a letter could call to make sure it was legit--but honestly it isn't that time consuming of difficult to sign/scan/upload.

It's rare to get one that isn't signed. I suppose a program that questioned the authenticity of a letter could call to make sure it was legit--but honestly it isn't that time consuming of difficult to sign/scan/upload.
Or to make a PDF of your signature and paste that in to every document you have to sign.

Or to make a PDF of your signature and paste that in to every document you have to sign.
My LOR writer managed to get past that issue but now he is unable to sign into his LORP portal.
WTF?

Hi all.
I'm applying into Internal Medicine categorical. However, my Sub-Is are more varied than normal. Since I'm applying as a MD/PhD I had to schedule all my Sub-Is at the same time and was still deciding on my future field, hence the 'hodge-podge'. Is there anything I can do to make sure PDs don't think I'm just double-applying?
Thanks.

Your PS and LORs should describe your IM interest, these will be evaluated much more closely than what you completed your Sub-I in.

Hello,

I was just told that I have been fired due to the fact I tried to nap for 20 minutes one day. I had seen my patients, things were slow, there were 2 other residents and I waiting for the attending to round. Do you think that I could get a job at another institution?

Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie
Yea that's the issue with step 2 CS. At least at my school, most students take it in November and December, which means scores will be back in February.
A good # of students take it in January as well, meaning scores come back in March.. (our school requires us to take it by Jan 31... they should've just required us to do it by Dec..]

Hello,

I was just told that I have been fired due to the fact I tried to nap for 20 minutes one day. I had seen my patients, things were slow, there were 2 other residents and I waiting for the attending to round. Do you think that I could get a job at another institution?
Sorry to hear about your situation.
I have a feeling though that there is more to the story.

Hello,

They fired you for trying to nap?? Is that what they listed as reason for termination?

I'm in a dilemma and will appreciate some input.
My LOR are still being processed and have to decide if should I submit my application by tomorrow morning and assign LORs as and when they become available or wait till they are available before submitting my application.
I'm an IMG if that makes any difference.

I'm in a dilemma and will appreciate some input.
My LOR are still being processed and have to decide if should I submit my application by tomorrow morning and assign LORs as and when they become available or wait till they are available before submitting my application.
I'm an IMG if that makes any difference.

There is little value to waiting. Submit, and add the letters as available. It's not like your app gets put on the bottom of a pile -- it simply won't be seen until "complete", which each program defines differently.

The one exception is if the "Most Important LOR" is missing, and there are 3 others. In that case, your app might be considered complete and reviewed. If that missing LOR would be the key to getting an interview, no one is going to go back to look at your app again. In that case, you're better off holding off until that letter is in. As an IMG, if you have 1 US letter and 3 international letters, then you would absolutely want to wait until the US letter is in.

Thank you so much @ aProgDirector
Is there any usefulness of getting a list of "programs to apply" from the websites like "Match A Resident" or is it a waste of money?
I just wanted to cross check with the information I gathered from FREIDA especially where FREIDA is missing some data pertaining to IMGs.

I doubt any private company has any secret data that you can't find by looking at a program's website or FREIDA. And there's no guarantee that their information is up tp date.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much @ aProgDirector
Is there any usefulness of getting a list of "programs to apply" from the websites like "Match A Resident" or is it a waste of money?
I just wanted to cross check with the information I gathered from FREIDA especially where FREIDA is missing some data pertaining to IMGs.

A great resource for IMGs are recent graduates of your school who landed a US residency. I am sure your school has a list, reach out to them and they will probably have some more targeted advice for you.

They fired you for trying to nap?? Is that what they listed as reason for termination?
Yes. That is what they said. They said it was because I asked the residents on my team, and not the attending.

Question already answered in earlier post.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your situation.
I have a feeling though that there is more to the story.
Hello again. My program director has been out for the last 3 months, but I called them today and said, I'm confused why they said they were terminating me but may be able to find me a spot somewhere else. He said he has been out of the loop, but in the past they did fire a resident and then help her go elsewhere, and they did well at the other program. He said maybe I wasn't a good fit for this program.

Hello again. My program director has been out for the last 3 months, but I called them today and said, I'm confused why they said they were terminating me but may be able to find me a spot somewhere else. He said he has been out of the loop, but in the past they did fire a resident and then help her go elsewhere, and they did well at the other program. He said maybe I wasn't a good fit for this program.

They are not firing you because you took a nap -- although I guess it depends whether you missed some important clinical work while napping. I expect your problems run much deeper. You don't seem to have any insight into that, which is probably the biggest part of the problem, unfortunately.

Reactions: 4 users
A great resource for IMGs are recent graduates of your school who landed a US residency. I am sure your school has a list, reach out to them and they will probably have some more targeted advice for you.
Just wanted to clarify that if I or anyone on my behalf contacts any program starting tomorrow it will not be some sort of violation?

Apply on 15 with an incomplete application, or on 18th with a complete app?
By Incomplete I mean, no LOR's(all my 4-5 are in processing), MSPE processing, transcript processing...and I'm an IMG, passed all my exams but ECFMG certificate hasn't been issued yet.

Apply on 15 with an incomplete application, or on 18th with a complete app?
By Incomplete I mean, no LOR's(all my 4-5 are in processing), MSPE processing, transcript processing...and I'm an IMG, passed all my exams but ECFMG certificate hasn't been issued yet.

Many people won't have all their LORs.
US MSPEs aren't released until Oct 1.

I'd apply. You don't have anything to lose and could be looked at sooner even though your application is not complete. Then again, I'm not sure how programs feel about the lack of ECFMG certificate.