Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also general point - do NOT be the "addicted-to-your-cell" interviewer. When I see applicants on their phones I assume they are checking Facebook or other social media. Not the time or place - check your email (it can wait a few hours, trust me) when you are alone. It's pretty rude, and we talk about it in interview debriefs.

For this reason I either left my cell in the hotel room all together to reduce temptation or turned it off during fellowship interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I struggled through the first 2 years of medical school. I didn't have to repeat anything but I struggled. I also had a low Step 1 score. I found out I had Hashimotos Thyroiditis 3rd year and am on synthroid now and it has made a huge difference. I improved About 40 percentile from step 1 to step 2 and have good evals from 3rd year.

I'm hesitant to put a medical diagnosis in my MSPE or on residency applications but I do really think it held me back especially remembering how tired and just generally down I felt before I took Synthroid.

Is this something I can mention or will residencies look at it as a potential negative?

Will most programs judge me based off step 2 and my clinical scores or are step 1 and low preclinical grades still going to haunt me?

I struggled through the first 2 years of medical school. I didn't have to repeat anything but I struggled. I also had a low Step 1 score. I found out I had Hashimotos Thyroiditis 3rd year and am on synthroid now and it has made a huge difference. I improved About 40 percentile from step 1 to step 2 and have good evals from 3rd year.

I'm hesitant to put a medical diagnosis in my MSPE or on residency applications but I do really think it held me back especially remembering how tired and just generally down I felt before I took Synthroid.

Is this something I can mention or will residencies look at it as a potential negative?

Will most programs judge me based off step 2 and my clinical scores or are step 1 and low preclinical grades still going to haunt me?
Assuming that your application (including PS) is already submitted and doesn't mention it, you can use it as a point of conversation when people ask what happened that your performance jumped so much from M2 to M3 and Step 1 to 2CK.

And if your app isn't already complete and submitted, WTH are you waiting for?

Assuming that your application (including PS) is already submitted and doesn't mention it, you can use it as a point of conversation when people ask what happened that your performance jumped so much from M2 to M3 and Step 1 to 2CK.

And if your app isn't already complete and submitted, WTH are you waiting for?

It is submitted. MSPE is not submitted yet though so it could go in there.

Your MSPE isn't really yours to write though.
This is true, our school involves students in the process though. We don't write or submit them but the dean collects information from us.

This is true, our school involves students in the process though. We don't write or submit them but the dean collects information from us.

Most schools include students in the process. But it's generally restricted to, "here's what we're gonna write. Any complaints about it?"

If yours allows you actual editorial control over it then sure, go ahead and put it in there.

Last edited:
1- I posted a replay asking about one thing
2-An anonymous person trying "hard" to make fun of me in public by saying corny jokes that no one laughs on except medical student who are trying hard to engage with him.
3- Another person is acting tough behind his keyboard and trying to play THE raging nerd.
4- The anonymous person hide behind posts and thank everyone who respond to me.
Really ? Post can hurt feelings that hard ?
Anyhow please don't respond back because I don't want to distract the others from the main goal of this thread.
Good luck everyone

Seems to me that it's you whose feelings got hurt. Let it go.
Everyone here is trying to help. They don't have to.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Reactions: 1 user
1- I posted a replay asking about one thing
2-An anonymous person trying "hard" to make fun of me in public by saying corny jokes that no one laughs on except medical student who are trying hard to engage with him.
3- Another person is acting tough behind his keyboard and trying to play THE raging nerd.
4- The anonymous person hide behind posts and thank everyone who respond to me.
Anyhow please don't respond back because I don't want to distract the others from the main goal of this thread.
Good luck everyone

Dude, seriously, you're the problem here.

When we go to an interview should we bring anything besides a cell phone, keys, and a wallet? Copies of our updated CV's, a little notepad and pen to write things down, copy of our ECFMG certificate, I don't know, anything else that I'm forgetting that might be relevant? Or is a smile and charming personality all that's needed.

Thanks
Just yourself. Phone in your pocket on silent (if wearing pants) or in your handbag/shoulder bag, preferably in the PCs office. Take notes during the PD or Chief Resident presentation at the beginning of the day. Most programs will give you a folder of some sort at the beginning of the day. Carry that around if you need something in your hands.

Reactions: 1 users
When we go to an interview should we bring anything besides a cell phone, keys, and a wallet? Copies of our updated CV's, a little notepad and pen to write things down, copy of our ECFMG certificate, I don't know, anything else that I'm forgetting that might be relevant? Or is a smile and charming personality all that's needed.

Thanks

Bring donuts. For everyone.

Wouldn't it be awesome if each interviewee brought enough donuts for everyone? I'd have donuts for the whole year left over. I'd have to figure out some way to keep them fresh, though.

Warning. Brain may be fried from reading applications and personal statements. All advice should be considered suspect.

Reactions: 4 users
Bring donuts. For everyone.

Wouldn't it be awesome if each interviewee brought enough donuts for everyone? I'd have donuts for the whole year left over. I'd have to figure out some way to keep them fresh, though.

Warning. Brain may be fried from reading applications and personal statements. All advice should be considered suspect.

Darn, I'm confused now... Should I bring donuts? ;-)

Regarding clinical research relevant to my field of interest:
- How do community programs feel about clinical research? Should I mention to them the research I am working on; or, would the program feel that I am not interested in matching at a community program bc they are not involved in much research?

If a residency program sends you an invite within a week of ERAS opening and there are barely any interviews booked yet on broker, does that probably mean you were highly desirable to the program based on stats?

If a residency program sends you an invite within a week of ERAS opening and there are barely any interviews booked yet on broker, does that probably mean you were highly desirable to the program based on stats?
It means you got an interview and you should book it.

Reactions: 4 users
What if they're mean?
Then you don't rank them.

This is actually a very simple process:
1. Apply...to all the programs you think you'd like to go to, or that you think that will have you
2. Interview...at all the programs that offer you spots, or at all the places you can afford to travel to.
3. Rank...the programs in the way you liked them.

That's it.

Stop trying to complicate it or game the system. You'll inevitably screw it up.

Reactions: 8 users

Or it means your name comes first alphabetically, or however they are sorting the applications they are processing. As GutOnc has mentioned, you're trying to read tea leaves here. Don't try to read meaning into things that don't matter. (Reminds me of the thread sev years ago where a rumor started that you could tell if you matched or not based upon what server the email from the NRMP came from, or some such nonsense). You will drive yourself crazy doing this.

Or it means your name comes first alphabetically, or however they are sorting the applications they are processing. As GutOnc has mentioned, you're trying to read tea leaves here. Don't try to read meaning into things that don't matter. (Reminds me of the thread sev years ago where a rumor started that you could tell if you matched or not based upon what server the email from the NRMP came from, or some such nonsense). You will drive yourself crazy doing this.
And you'll drive the rest of us crazy with the nonsense and we just might put you on post-hold until after Match Day*.

*J/K. Kind of.

Is it too late to apply to more programs or will the application won't even be reviewed?

Quick question:

I forgot to indicate that one of my LoR's was the "Department Chair" letter on ERAS. I already provided a new LOR request form to the author, but if he accidentally assigns the LOR to the old request form, is it OK to go ahead and release it to all the programs? I want to make sure I release it by October 1st, not leaving me much time. Do you think programs will know anyway based off the LOR letterhead? Thanks a billion!

Quick question:

I forgot to indicate that one of my LoR's was the "Department Chair" letter on ERAS. I already provided a new LOR request form to the author, but if he accidentally assigns the LOR to the old request form, is it OK to go ahead and release it to all the programs? I want to make sure I release it by October 1st, not leaving me much time. Do you think programs will know anyway based off the LOR letterhead? Thanks a billion!
Nobody cares. Still.

This has been asked and answered several times above.

Oct. 1st lands on a Saturday when the MSPE's are released. Just curious if the PD's & PC's on here plan on working the weekend reviewing the them and sending out IV's or wait until next week. Thanks!

Oct. 1st lands on a Saturday when the MSPE's are released. Just curious if the PD's & PC's on here plan on working the weekend reviewing the them and sending out IV's or wait until next week. Thanks!

To be completely honest, at least for us (large anesthesiology program) the MSPE plays a very minimal role in the decision to interview. They can be quite long - frequently 5-7+ pages of small text and figures showing grade distributions for classes/rotations, we simply do not have time to review them all. There were a few cases where the MSPE helped us with an unusual portion of an application - like an unexplained leave of absence (which really should have been addressed elsewhere!). But again, with >1000 initial applications to look over we do not have the resources or the time to delve deeply in them for all applicants and we take a look at it (and your other LORs) as we move closer to an actual interview.

I am not the program coordinator, but I doubt the weekend will be spent reviewing ERAS. Enough of the week is already spent looking into that never-ending stream.

This may not be the case for smaller programs with less applicants.

Not sure if addressing this issue in right place but,

So i somehow failed my step 2 CS twice, I have no idea why, I took it after I was done with all my rotations, US citizen have no problem with English as well but anyway, did pass it the 3rd time.
step 1 and step 2 i passed on first attempt.

So I wanted to know should I explain that in my personal statement or leave it as such, perhaps they might ask during interviews ?

So i somehow failed my step 2 CS twice, I have no idea why, I took it after I was done with all my rotations, US citizen have no problem with English as well but anyway, did pass it the 3rd time.

So I wanted to know should I explain that in my personal statement or leave it as such, perhaps they might ask during interviews ?
I wouldn't bother explaining it unless specifically asked. You passed. Leave it be.

Although, you shouldn't have anywhere to explain this anymore because your app was complete and submitted 2 weeks ago. Right?

Also, merging with the "Ask the PC" thread where this belongs.

I wouldn't bother explaining it unless specifically asked. You passed. Leave it be.

Although, you shouldn't have anywhere to explain this anymore because your app was complete and submitted 2 weeks ago. Right?

Also, merging with the "Ask the PC" thread where this belongs.

Ok thanks so much.
Yes I have submitted my app but I wrote it as a small paragraph in my personal statement, because it did happen during the time period where my mother was involved in MVA and could not ambulate for any tasks for long period of time so I had to be with her all times.
I gained lot of strength from that and felt more determined and motivated to succeed.

Ok thanks so much.
Yes I have submitted my app but I wrote it as a small paragraph in my personal statement, because it did happen during the time period where my mother was involved in MVA and could not ambulate for any tasks for long period of time so I had to be with her all times.
I gained lot of strength from that and felt more determined and motivated to succeed.
So, you already explained it. And now you're asking if you should explain it?

I'm confused.

I could have sworn I have a very similar post very recently - was it you? It is exceedingly rare, borderline unheard of for a native-speaking US citizen to fail Step 2 CS twice. It's a fairly significant red flag since the pass rate is so high (>95%?) so don't be surprised if several programs outright reject your application; however, since you included a possible explanation in your PS (which is absolutely the right call) you should be prepared to discuss the situation during interviews - you brought it up so it is fair game. A compelling story showing growth with a hint of pulling at heart strings just might allow some programs to overlook the CS attempts. Thankfully you finally did pass.

So, you already explained it. And now you're asking if you should explain it?

I'm confused.

That's because I could still edit it out from personal statement if it's not beneficial. Thanks.

I could have sworn I have a very similar post very recently - was it you? It is exceedingly rare, borderline unheard of for a native-speaking US citizen to fail Step 2 CS twice. It's a fairly significant red flag since the pass rate is so high (>95%?) so don't be surprised if several programs outright reject your application; however, since you included a possible explanation in your PS (which is absolutely the right call) you should be prepared to discuss the situation during interviews - you brought it up so it is fair game. A compelling story showing growth with a hint of pulling at heart strings just might allow some programs to overlook the CS attempts. Thankfully you finally did pass.

No, it wasn't me. My first time posting on here. My only concern was a lot of programs don't require cs by application time and some might just look to see if i passed it or not so wasn't sure if i bring it up or leave it as such. Thanks for you feedback, hopefully it will be looked at as a positive experience.

Apologize if this has been asked before ...

When closing the interview ... When the PD asks if there are anymore questions ... do we reiterate our strengths and/or just tell the PD we like their program and hope to hear back from them.

Thanks!

When closing the interview ... When the PD asks if there are anymore questions ... do we reiterate our strengths and/or just tell the PD we like their program and hope to hear back from them.

Thanks!

If they ask if there are anymore questions, that is the time to ask any questions. It is NOT the time for you to give a monologue of why they should pick you...

If they ask if there are anymore questions, that is the time to ask any questions. It is NOT the time for you to give a monologue of why they should pick you...

Sorry ... I should have been more clear ... When the interview is over and AFTER you asked all your questions on the program. How should you close the interview. Thanks!

Thanks!

For the love of .....

It's a polite way for the PD to end the day/interview. If you have ONE actual question, ask it. It's not an invitation to more conversation.

Sorry ... I should have been more clear ... When the interview is over and AFTER you asked all your questions on the program. How should you close the interview. Thanks!
"Thanks for your time. Have a great day. I hope to be working with you next year."

Reactions: 3 users

"Here. Please have a freshly fried, homemade donut."

Or

"Thank you".

Either will work fine. Well, actually, one is slightly better. I'll let you figure out which one.

Reactions: 9 users
Hello!
So I found out in August that I didn't pass CS. I redid step 2 CS in September and I'm fairly certain I passed this time. I was wondering if I should:
1) contact the PC/PD and 2) if so, should I email or call them to let them know that I redid the CS?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Do 3rd wave interview candidates have a less chance than the 1st and 2nd wave candidates? I would like to know from a PD's point of view. Do they expect 3rd wave candidates to prove themselves more and really outshine the former waves?

Do 3rd wave interview candidates have a less chance than the 1st and 2nd wave candidates? I would like to know from a PD's point of view. Do they expect 3rd wave candidates to prove themselves more and really outshine the former waves?

No. We reviewed our matches from 2015 recently. We matched at exactly the same rate throughout our interview season. I have no idea at the end of a week where someone was on our "invite" list. I only know how they appeared on interview day and what my people had to say.

Extending invitations is, basically, a crapshoot. For programs with 100+ applicants per position, I have many "qualified" people I could invite. My choices are based on a whole host of factors, including the fabled "gut instinct".

For applicants getting invited later in the season, they are getting a golden ticket. Once you get past that ticket, it's all about interview day.

Reactions: 7 users
No. We reviewed our matches from 2015 recently. We matched at exactly the same rate throughout our interview season. I have no idea at the end of a week where someone was on our "invite" list. I only know how they appeared on interview day and what my people had to say.

Extending invitations is, basically, a crapshoot. For programs with 100+ applicants per position, I have many "qualified" people I could invite. My choices are based on a whole host of factors, including the fabled "gut instinct".

For applicants getting invited later in the season, they are getting a golden ticket. Once you get past that ticket, it's all about interview day.

Back when I interviewed for general surgery, I had a program reject my application. About a month later they decided to give me an interview. I ended up declining it as I was rejected the first time and figured I wasn't high on the list still the second time. Plus I already had something like twenty five interview offers. I'm not sure why this program would send a rejection letter if there was a chance of later giving an interview.

I just saw the option to list your state residency on personal information. I guess i skimmed over it all the other times. I am in Florida, how would have that affected the people filtering apps so far? (My permanent and mailing address are florida though).

I just saw the option to list your state residency on personal information. I guess i skimmed over it all the other times. I am in Florida, how would have that affected the people filtering apps so far? (My permanent and mailing address are florida though).
Unlikely to affect it at all.

I am reviewing apps and I have no idea what you're talking about. There's a current address and a permanent address. There's no state residency listed. And I have no idea what that even means. If you match to my program, you'll become a resident of my state. That's the way it works.

So I have not received any IVs yet. Applying to FM about 120 programs.

1.) When should I start contract Programs and let them know that I'm interested?

2.) How do I let them know I'm interested without sounding desperate and needy

So I have not received any IVs yet. Applying to FM about 120 programs.

1.) When should I start contract Programs and let them know that I'm interested?

2.) How do I let them know I'm interested without sounding desperate and needy

I'd say at this point it's OK to contact programs. It won't make a difference everywhere, but can be a deciding factor if your application is on the bubble. Be direct, be polite, express strong interest, let them know if there are any updates to your application. Then hope for the best.

Applying to psychiatry.

I assigned my USMLE transcript to programs late (9/29).
The tab said it was "pre-authorized" so I thought that once I paid, the transcript would send automatically.

In any case, do the PDs get an alert whenever I make changes to my application? Specifically, were they made aware when I finally did submit my
USMLE transcript (and photo)?

Have not gotten interviews yet. Worried that my file is lost or being overlooked because I had not uploaded my USMLE transcript until 9/29.

Applying for IM.

Several programs I'm applying to require a Chair's letter. I did not designate the Chair's letter; it does not have the "DC" tag. However, the letter does have a title indicating it was written by the Chair. At first, I didn't think it was a big deal, since the title specified the letter came from the Chair. However, I am starting to worry that programs requiring a Chair's letter have filtered out my application because the letter does not have a "DC" tag. Does such a filter exist? Can anyone provide some information regarding my situation?

Thanks!