MCAT Ask Me Anything About the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Self Prep

Vendor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

My name is Andrew George, the head tutor at MCAT Self Prep, the creators of the free MCAT prep course. If you have any questions about how to get ready for the MCAT, feel free to comment below. I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Warm regards,

Andrew George

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Andrew,

I've been researching a few courses on SDN. Luckily, I ran across your page! I started studying for the MCAT back in February, but my biggest downfall was understanding the passages. Does your course encompass methods/strategies to tackle the passages themselves? Thanks for all you do!

Hey Andrew,

I've been researching a few courses on SDN. Luckily, I ran across your page! I started studying for the MCAT back in February, but my biggest downfall was understanding the passages. Does your course encompass methods/strategies to tackle the passages themselves? Thanks for all you do!

Thanks for reaching out DPTinthemaking15! With our Free eCourse, you will be able to learn all of the content that you need to know for the MCAT. Using our Memorization and Strategy Courses such as Our Ultimate CARS Strategy Course and Our Science Passage Reading Strategy Course you will learn the strategies you need to conquer the toughest MCAT passages.

To really excel at reading strategies, in my mind it is not enough to simply read about strategies. The KEY to success comes from knowing how to apply the strategies in the unique situations that you struggle with. This is where our low-cost private tutoring comes in. We can sit down with you and look at the specific passages and questions that cause you the most trouble and help you see how the strategies should be applied in your unique situation.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out! I am here to help!

Warm regards,
Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
What would you recommend for a non-trad that took physics and Chem 5 years ago, and will be taking ochem and bio courses next year? I'm planning on taking the mcat in spring of 2019, but I'm trying to plan very far ahead because I just decided to switch careers to medicine.

Should I get Chem and Bio books from one of the test prep companies and start relearning those? I've noticed your class starts with a practice exam, but I'm worried I won't be ready for that until just before my test due to my lack of bio at this point.

I've really enjoyed all the material I've seen of yours so far, thanks!

Hi Cornfed101,

Great question! And congrats on your decision to take a risk and switch careers. That's awesome.

With your MCAT date still in the distance, I would recommend skipping the diagnostic during MCAT Launchpad and simply moving forward, starting with the Chemistry I or Biology I module. Each lesson of the modules contains all the videos you need to learn all the content, but it wouldn't hurt to supplement with a book series. I would personally recommend the Kaplan 7-book series.

Best of luck studying and please feel free to reach out with future questions!

Warm regards,
Andrew

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Andrew,

First time on this site and loving it so far. I am looking to try it out before purchasing anything.
1) You mentioned in the course overview that each lesson module is about one hour. It really doesn't seem so. Am I missing something?
2) Furthermore, what are the "optional" videos you refer to...I haven't seen them categorized anywhere yet. Very excited for the course.

3) Lastly, between the PR and Kaplan books, are we supposed to read these before the videos or after? Also, any thoughts on pros vs cons between Kaplan or PR. I have both, I just don't have the time to utilize both for now.

Thanks!
Avi

Hi Andrew,

First time on this site and loving it so far. I am looking to try it out before purchasing anything.
1) You mentioned in the course overview that each lesson module is about one hour. It really doesn't seem so. Am I missing something?
2) Furthermore, what are the "optional" videos you refer to...I haven't seen them categorized anywhere yet. Very excited for the course.

3) Lastly, between the PR and Kaplan books, are we supposed to read these before the videos or after? Also, any thoughts on pros vs cons between Kaplan or PR. I have both, I just don't have the time to utilize both for now.

Thanks!
Avi

Hi Avi,

Thank you for reaching out! I do apologize for the delay in getting back to you on your question. We've been working really hard to launch the Pro Version of our eCourse.

First of all, welcome to the site! I am excited to work with you towards a top MCAT score! In regards to your questions:

(1) I am sorry that wasn't especially clear. Each lesson contains one hour of Khan Academy video, so if you just watched those videos it would only take you an hour per lesson. That may be enough for some students, but I would estimate that most students will need to put in much more time per lesson. The Create-your-own Study Plan Course will help you approach our course in a very individualized manner and help you know how much time you personally should spend on each lesson. The Create-your-own Study Plan Course (originally $19.99) is now currently available as part of the Basic Pro Plan, which is just $9.99.

(2) What we've been calling "optional videos" are the non-Khan Academy videos in our playlists.

(3) And I think that the Kaplan Books are great. I would recommend using them after the videos to fill in the gaps. Again, the Create-your-own Study Plan Course will give you more information on how to adjust your studying to your needs.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to reach out with future questions!

Warm regards,
Andrew

Thanks! Just signed up and really loving it so far. Very impressive site you have; I'm sure it wasn't easy creating it. Cheers!

Currently on content review, Heard different things about Altius and Next step Full lengths. Which one is more representative of the actual MCAT. Thank you in advance!

Great question! I'd recommend full-length exams in this order:

1. AAMC
2. NextStep
3. Kaplan
4. Other (i.e. Altius, etc).

Hope this helps!

Currently deciding on prep course companies. Is there any place where we are able to ask questions to masters? Or is this only with tutoring? Also, in my case, I have not taken Physics since high school, and have taken my prereqs in French. Would it be useful to use this ecourse or is something more intensive needed? Thank you!

Hi @Kswizzle21! Great questions! I think you'll find that our eCourse is as intensive as you need for the subjects that you struggle with the most. Using our Basic Pro Plan for just $9, you'll be able to generate an individualized study plan that takes into account your unique background. And if you are looking for some one-on-one help along the way, you'd likely find a huge amount of benefit from our Deluxe Pro PLUS Plan. Please feel free to reach out with any further questions! :)

Hi @Kswizzle21! Great questions! I think you'll find that our eCourse is as intensive as you need for the subjects that you struggle with the most. Using our Basic Pro Plan for just $9, you'll be able to generate an individualized study plan that takes into account your unique background. And if you are looking for some one-on-one help along the way, you'd likely find a huge amount of benefit from our Deluxe Pro PLUS Plan. Please feel free to reach out with any further questions! :)
That's great! Thank you.