Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you don't have a diploma then you are not a dentist and will not be able to commission per the terms of your HPSP agreement. If you take excessively long to graduate then your scholarship can be pulled.
Any difference if s/he is HSCP? Are pay and benefits at risk having to extend to graduate?

@AVB2104 - You are HSCP right? Make sure your Navy contact knows your new graduation date for you to commission and so orders to your first assignment can be adjusted.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It makes no difference. You cannot commission as an active duty Dental Corps LT until you graduate.

So how can the Navy pull back my scholarship since technically HSCP isn't a scholarship? Are they gonna ask me to return all the monthly pay I have received so far? It's kind of unfair since finishing requirements is out of your control(patients cancelling, not having the money, or simply not having the requirements that you need..) Like is there some sort of waiver I can get?

If you finish that summer you'll most likely be fine. If you have to start another academic year you're going to have issues. Every dental student has that fear but only a tiny percentage actually fail to graduate within the same academic year.

I would read your HSCP contract for details on any possible sanctions for failure to graduate.

So how can the Navy pull back my scholarship since technically HSCP isn't a scholarship? Are they gonna ask me to return all the monthly pay I have received so far? It's kind of unfair since finishing requirements is out of your control(patients cancelling, not having the money, or simply not having the requirements that you need..) Like is there some sort of waiver I can get?
I wouldn't worry about it, just do your best to get your requirements done. It would be more of a pain for the Navy to rescind everything than it would be to wait a few more weeks (IMHO). Plus they would end up gapping your billet.
I doubt you would be the first person to face a situation where you didn't finish your clinical requirements on time.

I think I read on SDN a long time ago that you can delay officer training for a year to be able to report to your duty station on time if you need that summer.

I definitely don't remember how true this is, but I would expect that to the exception and not the rule.

I think I read on SDN a long time ago that you can delay officer training for a year to be able to report to your duty station on time if you need that summer.

I definitely don't remember how true this is, but I would expect that to the exception and not the rule.

They hold ODS classes year round, so a delay of that magnitude would not be necessary.

Unique to HSCP is that they can simply call you to active enlisted service if you fail to complete your degree.

If you believe your graduation date is going to be delayed you have to keep the Navy informed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

Go Navy!

Hello! I am currently a third year dental student in the HSCP program. I want to start looking at my options for specializing or GPR/AEGD residencies.
When is a good time to start submitting applications for these residencies? Also, do you know if there really is a bearing on where you will be stationed based on what your specialty is?

I really would love to be stationed in Europe (Germany, Spain, Iceland...etc), is there anything I could do to help my chances?

Finally, how does DUINS factor into all of this?

Thank you so much for your time!

-G

Hello! I am currently a third year dental student in the HSCP program. I want to start looking at my options for specializing or GPR/AEGD residencies.
When is a good time to start submitting applications for these residencies? Specialty applications open in late January and run to 01 May of your third year. PGY1 applications open in the fall prior to graduation. Also, do you know if there really is a bearing on where you will be stationed based on what your specialty is? Yes

I really would love to be stationed in Europe (Germany, Spain, Iceland...etc), is there anything I could do to help my chances? There are no Navy dentists stationed in Germany or Iceland and you will not get Europe as your first duty station. Nothing will help those chances except dumb luck.

Finally, how does DUINS factor into all of this? This question makes no sense.

-G

When is a good time to start submitting applications for these residencies? Also, do you know if there really is a bearing on where you will be stationed based on what your specialty is?

I really would love to be stationed in Europe (Germany, Spain, Iceland...etc), is there anything I could do to help my chances?

Finally, how does DUINS factor into all of this?

-G
You will be a dentist shortly. But you will also be a commissioned officer soon. You are encouraged to seek out the answers on your own, I promise they are out there. Before you know it, Sailors will be coming to you expecting answers.
I don't mean any of this in a negative tone, but you are in a great spot. With these benefits come responsibilities, and now is a good time to learn how to find the answers on your own.
Congratulations on being halfway done with school, and on your scholarship! Best of luck!

What criteria(s) separate COM's from NAM's? Does it largely depend on who's in charge of the command? I've heard certain CO's giving out COM's like candies while others are more hesitant to give them out?

What criteria(s) separate COM's from NAM's? Does it largely depend on who's in charge of the command? I've heard certain CO's giving out COM's like candies while others are more hesitant to give them out?
Depends on the size of the command, the skipper, the reason for award (EOT?), and awardees rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schmoob mostly covered it.. but it also depends on what the individual did.. the award has to fit the criteria.. ex.. your not getting a COMM for just doing your job.. you might get a NAM.. but that all depends on the awards board that convenes to talk about all the submitted awards.. they will decide whether the write up that your leadership submitted for you on your behalf is the right one... but that's just my rant.. I know he answered your questions but I figured I put my 2 cents in... I know it probably wasn't necessary

Do you start receiving IP 90 days after your dental school graduation date or 90 days after you get your dental license? Also, which navy instruction talks about the criterias for the IP?

go to the navy special pays website and all the guidance is there. in short, it will be the first day 90 days after graduation where you are licensed, privileged, and practicing, and only after the request is made in writing.

I hope this thread is still active. Do you know the age limits for entering the Navy as a dentist. I have heard you can get a waiver in some cases. I'm previous enlisted Navy and been practicing for 20 years. I recently sold my practice and like the idea of going back into the Navy and not having the stress of running a private practice. I have a few more questions after this.

I think this may have been discussed, but I am curious, how likely is it to be assigned with a marine unit? I know you can request it, but are these sought out positions that are tough to get? If I were to go with the Navy that is what I would want to do. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

I received new orders beyond my payback time but would like to submit my resignation. Can I still submit my resignation if my obligated service ends in August and my new orders commence in August?

How does specializing through the Navy work? I've heard that it was less competetion than if you were to specialize through the traditional route. Are you required to pay those years of residency back and do you have the freedom to select what specialty or is it need based?

How does specializing through the Navy work? I've heard that it was less competetion than if you were to specialize through the traditional route. Are you required to pay those years of residency back and do you have the freedom to select what specialty or is it need based?
The competition can be greater than the traditional route. Take pedo for example, where 8-12 people are applying for 1 slot. Those are terrible odds compared to your counterparts applying as civilians. It’s even worse for ortho. You will incur a service obligation by specializing. Lastly, you apply to a specific specialty. Hope this helps.

Big Hoss

The competition can be greater than the traditional route. Take pedo for example, where 8-12 people are applying for 1 slot. Those are terrible odds compared to your counterparts applying as civilians. It’s even worse for ortho. You will incur a service obligation by specializing. Lastly, you apply to a specific specialty. Hope this helps.

Big Hoss
I've heard concurrent payback is possible, can you explain that?

Does Navy tuition reimbursement matter if for instance, you chose NYU over a cheaper in state school? What about stipend variables among cost of living in NY vs Indiana/Ohio?

Does Navy tuition reimbursement matter if for instance, you chose NYU over a cheaper in state school? What about stipend variables among cost of living in NY vs Indiana/Ohio?
They pay the tuition regardless. And, the stipend is the same wherever you go. Probably still around $2,100/month. I’m not too sure on the most current rate.

Big Hoss

How's life been since graduation?
Just living that Navy dream. It’s a sweet gig, but I’m not interested in making it a career. I’m looking to start a civilian residency when my obligation is fulfilled next year. Many don’t realize that you’ll be eligible for the GI Bill to fund a civilian residency if you get out. Yet another perk of the HPSP.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Just living that Navy dream. It’s a sweet gig, but I’m not interested in making it a career. I’m looking to start a civilian residency when my obligation is fulfilled next year. Many don’t realize that you’ll be eligible for the GI Bill to fund a civilian residency if you get out. Yet another perk of the HPSP.

Big Hoss
Did not know that! I'm only on my first year of the scholarship so it will be a while before I am in your shoes, but I have looking forward to it

Big Hoss- Do you have a SO? How easy/hard is it to balance that with the obligation?

Big Hoss- Do you have a SO? How easy/hard is it to balance that with the obligation?
I am married with kids. Military families make sacrifices, no doubt about it, many of which go unrecognized by the world. But, I’ve never been deployed so I feel like my sacrifices can’t even compare to those of our forward deployed brothers and sisters.

A few weeks ago I saw a blown up Humvee that had been brought back from who knows where. Very likely some brave, selfless Marines didn’t make it. Really puts my job in perspective. Sure am proud of what I do taking care of the world’s finest Sailors and Marines.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 4 users
Having a family in the Navy is tough, no doubt. But there are perks for them, as well as resources. The medical benefits are fantastic as well (this should not be underestimated). Balancing is tough, but the Navy does what they can to support you. They understand the stressors behind a high OPTEMPO.
I’ve deployed a number of times and it was tough on everyone. But that’s the military, right? It’s service. If you deploy, one of the best feelings in the world is when you see your loved ones when you come home.

Reactions: 4 users
If you deploy, one of the best feelings in the world is when you see your loved ones when you come home.

Preach, shipmate. You earn every second but damn it feels good. Like graduation day, wedding day, and birth of your first child all-at-the-same-time kinda good.

Reactions: 1 users
I just graduated from dental school and I'm currently in a PGY-1 program.
I'm interested in applying for navy endo this year and I was wondering if I should take GRE.
My dental school doesn't have rankings but we did have GPA. My GPA, however, is fairly average (3.67).

Should I take GRE to boost my application?

Or does it not really matter because I'm a 1st year LT so they most likely won't accept me anyways?

If you're talking about the PGY-1 cycle, they came out a few months ago. If you're talking about specialty DUINS, it hasn't even started yet.
Gotcha.
In that case, I am a bit confused on timelines for the Navy. It seems like civilian students consistently match into residency programs during the Winter. Is there a certain time results come out for the Navy as well?

This. But, it doesn’t hurt to apply. If anything it shows your commitment when you reapply. A solid GRE or ADAT score may give you a boost.

Big Hoss

Have you heard or seen anyone getting into endo residency right after AEGD or GPR?

Have you heard or seen anyone getting into endo residency right after AEGD or GPR?
Someone just got in straight from dental school. That catch is he was a Marine Corps fighter pilot for something like 6 years prior to dental school. From what I’ve seen, the general rule is to expect an operational tour before you get specialty training. Not to say it doesn’t happen though.

Big Hoss