Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does the navy pay for dental loupes when you begin active duty?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. They remain the property of the .gov until the end of your service.

Is there a standard loupe that they give us? I was planning on buying a $2700 loupes that has wireless lights built into back of the loupe. I don't know if I should just wait till i finish school and have the navy pay for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a standard loupe that they give us? I was planning on buying a $2700 loupes that has wireless lights built into back of the loupe. I don't know if I should just wait till i finish school and have the navy pay for it.

Yeah you're not getting that. The Navy contracts with Orascoptic most often. Loupe lights are owned by the command and are not purchased for individual providers. Thus, the integrated model you speak of would not be authorized.

Yeah you're not getting that. The Navy contracts with Orascoptic most often. Loupe lights are owned by the command and are not purchased for individual providers. Thus, the integrated model you speak of would not be authorized.
Lucky for him! They just happen to be Orascoptic.
I say buy them. If you don't plan on going career, you will have them when you're done - At student pricing.

Reactions: 1 user
I say buy them. If you don't plan on going career, you will have them when you're done - At student pricing.

LOL yes! I think I might just buy them :) we don't necessarily have to wear the loupes the navy provides us with right?

That's what I would do. If your command was to buy then you would not be able to take them from command to command or take them when you separate.

LOL yes! I think I might just buy them :) we don't necessarily have to wear the loupes the navy provides us with right?
Nope, it's not a prescribed item so there are no Navy standard loupes that are required while in uniform.
I say go for it. I have a set and I love them. They are well balanced, and the batteries last longer than expected.

Nope, it's not a prescribed item so there are no Navy standard loupes that are required while in uniform.
I say go for it. I have a set and I love them. They are well balanced, and the batteries last longer than expected.

awesome. Thanks

Also schmoob and vellnueve, I remember reading somewhere on this thread that if I plan on staying in the Navy it is better to specialize is that true? What if I want to stay in the navy as a GP? is there a residency that is worth doing after PGY-1? comprehensive dentistry perhaps? Or is it better to apply to comprehensive dentistry during school?

thanks.

Also schmoob and vellnueve, I remember reading somewhere on this thread that if I plan on staying in the Navy it is better to specialize is that true? What if I want to stay in the navy as a GP? is there a residency that is worth doing after PGY-1? comprehensive dentistry perhaps?

thanks.
My opinion is if you plan on staying in, specialize. You would already be 4 years in when you commission, plus time in residency counts towards retirement, PSLF, etc. So you may as well get the money for it.
As far as what you should do - I'm not sure. If you want to do a PGY-1 then you should go for it, followed by an operational/utilization. This would also give you the opportunity to figure out if you like any particular field, or if Comp is what you want.

My opinion is if you plan on staying in, specialize. You would already be 4 years in when you commission, plus time in residency counts towards retirement, PSLF, etc. So you may as well get the money for it.
As far as what you should do - I'm not sure. If you want to do a PGY-1 then you should go for it, followed by an operational/utilization. This would also give you the opportunity to figure out if you like any particular field, or if Comp is what you want.

Comp or Operative

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell us about the Operative residency? I really don't know anything about it.

3 years FTOS at UNC or Indiana or possibly other programs I haven't heard of. Focus on direct restorations, fixed prosth, and preventative dentistry. Utilization like a general dentist, don't usually go to sea unless they volunteer. Often become AEGD/GPR program directors or get stationed at recruit depots where they can guide new credentialers.

Do you guys @schmoob and @vellnueve think that you have a higher chance of getting into OS in the navy when you apply as a dental student as opposed to applying after a PGY-1/ have been in the navy for some time?

Read the instruction and you will see that the question is answered.

BUMED says that if you were selected to do an FTOS but are unable to gain admission then you are automatically enrolled in the next cycle for FTIS and if no FTIS program exist then he/she must reapply to gain admission again for FTOS. So I am assuming you are required to keep applying until you get in???

BUMED says that if you were selected to do an FTOS but are unable to gain admission then you are automatically enrolled in the next cycle for FTIS and if no FTIS program exist then he/she must reapply to gain admission again for FTOS. So I am assuming you are required to keep applying until you get in???

Read the whole BUMEDNOTE 1520 top to bottom. Particularly the sample request letter.

It is important that you review things more thoroughly.

Do you have any free time when you're on a ship underway? What is there to do for entertainment?

Read the whole BUMEDNOTE 1520 top to bottom. Particularly the sample request letter.

It is important that you review things more thoroughly.

Thanks. I now see that we have a choice to be considered either FTOS or FTIS or Even both equally. If we were authorized to pursue FTOS is the navy paying for that? Also do we still get paid as an O-3?

Thanks. I now see that we have a choice to be considered either FTOS or FTIS or Even both equally. If we were authorized to pursue FTOS is the navy paying for that? Also do we still get paid as an O-3?
Yes.
Keep in mind that FTOS is determined by the projected manning requirement for that specialty upon program completion and available FTIS slots. This means that they will likely not pay for you to go outservice and simultaneously leave a FTIS billet gapped. Another thing to keep in mind is your payback obligation if you go FTOS. If you get a FTOS residency straight out of school, you will be active duty for a while before you complete your obligation. As a matter of fact, depending on the specialty you could be pretty close to retirement.
Something that vellnueve is hammering on is reading the instruction. This is not meant to put you down in any way. In the military (all branches), there is an instruction, guidance, NAVADMIN, MILPERSMAN, etc for absolutely EVERYTHING. From my observations, he is trying to get you into the habit of finding the most concrete, correct answer on your own. This is a skill that is learned, and believe me you have no idea how much farther you will be ahead of your peers when it comes to Navy knowledge. Your chain of command will immediately recognize your competence when it comes to being an officer.
Also, the next time you can't sleep I recommend you flip through the Navy Correspondence Manual. It may seem silly, but it will give you an understanding of how to properly write memo's. When you route a chit the last thing you want is to get it back marked up to fix the formatting.

Thank you so much for the answer both @schmoob and @vellnueve . And yes I agree that I need to take the time and read everything carefully as opposed to just the ones I am looking for. I really appreciate the help. :)

Hello everyone,

I am currently weighing the pros and cons of the HPSP. I feel that there are immense benefits for someone who would like to have dental school paid for (like me :)). I do not mind the 4-year obligation phase, especially considering I will not have a debt to worry about, will get a stipend during dental school, will have access to military benefits, etc. Also, from my understanding, the Navy will pay for specialty programs as well (assuming I meet the qualifications, of course)... will that tack time onto my obligation phase? I am wondering if there is anything I should be cautious of? I feel that much of this seems too good to be true... for example, I have seen cases where the obligation phase was actually longer than 4 years, and I am concerned about feeling helpless/trapped within a government system for longer than I anticipated.

Also, some questions regarding the medical history "get to know you form" that my HPSP Naval Recruiter sent me. He seemed pretty adamant about portraying myself as being in top notch physical health "if I wanted to get the scholarship" ;);). I feel uneasy about that though... I have had a hairline fracture on my left radius, reconstructive surgery on my right pinky finger (which caused the MCP joint to fuse together at a 45°... but I have no issues with dexterity), some minor stitches for some cuts, asthma (I believe I have not had an attack since I was less than 5 years old), I split my head open (required no stitches - but the ambulance was called because there was a considerable amount of blood, did not go to ER), strep throat a few times when I was young, and mild chickenpox. I am wondering if I should list these on the form, or if I should be hush-hush about them...

I am sorry if this has been answered before, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I used the search function but couldn't find much relating to my specific questions. Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am currently weighing the pros and cons of the HPSP. I feel that there are immense benefits for someone who would like to have dental school paid for (like me :)). I do not mind the 4-year obligation phase, especially considering I will not have a debt to worry about, will get a stipend during dental school, will have access to military benefits, etc. Also, from my understanding, the Navy will pay for specialty programs as well (assuming I meet the qualifications, of course)... will that tack time onto my obligation phase? I am wondering if there is anything I should be cautious of? I feel that much of this seems too good to be true... for example, I have seen cases where the obligation phase was actually longer than 4 years, and I am concerned about feeling helpless/trapped within a government system for longer than I anticipated.

Also, some questions regarding the medical history "get to know you form" that my HPSP Naval Recruiter sent me. He seemed pretty adamant about portraying myself as being in top notch physical health "if I wanted to get the scholarship" ;);). I feel uneasy about that though... I have had a hairline fracture on my left radius, reconstructive surgery on my right pinky finger (which caused the MCP joint to fuse together at a 45°... but I have no issues with dexterity), some minor stitches for some cuts, asthma (I believe I have not had an attack since I was less than 5 years old), I split my head open (required no stitches - but the ambulance was called because there was a considerable amount of blood, did not go to ER), strep throat a few times when I was young, and mild chickenpox. I am wondering if I should list these on the form, or if I should be hush-hush about them...

I am sorry if this has been answered before, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I used the search function but couldn't find much relating to my specific questions. Thanks!

I'm starting dental school this June through the Navy HPSP. It think it's a great deal considering you might save anywhere from $300k to $500k. The signing bonus and living stipend make the deal even better. The pay is decent while serving as a dentist, and you have no loans to pay off. Say you go to a school that would have cost $400k, and you make 70k a year as a dentist in the military. That's an effective salary of $170k a year, while none of your classmates will pay off that debt in four years like you will.

You have four years active duty and four years inactive ready reserve. From all of the research I've done online, it sounds like no dentist has every been called to active duty off inactive ready reserve. If WW3 happens, maybe that changes. You can decide on the likelihood of that.

Navy specialties are not easy to get into right out of school from what I've seen. There are residency selection numbers floating around SDN, so you can check them out to give you an idea of past years (Army: Army - Residency Selection Results?) (Navy: Navy DUINS FY 2017) (Air Force: Air Force Dental Residencies). Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the following info, but this is what I've gathered from these forums. If you get selected for a military residency, the training years are neutral. Say you are chosen for OMFS right out of school. You would train in the military for four years to become an OMFS, and then serve your four year HPSP payback. If you get selected for a residency where the military allows you to train somewhere else (called "FTOS"), you would add those years onto your HPSP payback I believe. So say you are chosen for OMFS FTOS, you would train at some place outside the military for four years, then serve eight years for your OMFS training payback and HPSP payback combined. Ultimately, I wouldn't worry about military specialties until you have the scholarship and you're already in dental school.

As for the medical history and MEPS, I would be as honest as possible. Not sure what others around here would say about reporting certain things though. I would discuss each of these instances with your recruiter, and hopefully they can give you guidance.

Reactions: 1 users
The biggest question mark on that is the childhood asthma. If it's just childhood asthma it's probably not an issue, but if you still carry a asthma diagnosis you're probably done.

It's a bit more than that, even starting out. It climbs quickly too.
That's good news. I think I've heard even as high as 85k depending on where you are stationed? I guess it also depends on if you have a family. I just shot a conservative estimate out there based on the pay calculators available online.

That's good news. I think I've heard even as high as 85k depending on where you are stationed? I guess it also depends on if you have a family. I just shot a conservative estimate out there based on the pay calculators available online.

I'm in my 6th year and make mid 100s.

I think I've heard even as high as 85k depending on where you are stationed? I guess it also depends on if you have a family. I just shot a conservative estimate out there based on the pay calculators available online.
If you're stationed in an area with a higher cost of living like San Diego, you'll be over $100K out the door.

If you're stationed in an area with a higher cost of living like San Diego, you'll be over $100K out the door.
Ah I think I just figured out why I've been confused. The military pay calculators online just give you base salary for O3, but not with the special pays that dentists receive.

That would be awesome if I ended up in San Diego one day though.

I'm starting dental school this June through the Navy HPSP. It think it's a great deal considering you might save anywhere from $300k to $500k. The signing bonus and living stipend make the deal even better. The pay is decent while serving as a dentist, and you have no loans to pay off. Say you go to a school that would have cost $400k, and you make 70k a year as a dentist in the military. That's an effective salary of $170k a year, while none of your classmates will pay off that debt in four years like you will.

You have four years active duty and four years inactive ready reserve. From all of the research I've done online, it sounds like no dentist has every been called to active duty off inactive ready reserve. If WW3 happens, maybe that changes. You can decide on the likelihood of that.

Navy specialties are not easy to get into right out of school from what I've seen. There are residency selection numbers floating around SDN, so you can check them out to give you an idea of past years (Army: Army - Residency Selection Results?) (Navy: Navy DUINS FY 2017) (Air Force: Air Force Dental Residencies). Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the following info, but this is what I've gathered from these forums. If you get selected for a military residency, the training years are neutral. Say you are chosen for OMFS right out of school. You would train in the military for four years to become an OMFS, and then serve your four year HPSP payback. If you get selected for a residency where the military allows you to train somewhere else (called "FTOS"), you would add those years onto your HPSP payback I believe. So say you are chosen for OMFS FTOS, you would train at some place outside the military for four years, then serve eight years for your OMFS training payback and HPSP payback combined. Ultimately, I wouldn't worry about military specialties until you have the scholarship and you're already in dental school.

As for the medical history and MEPS, I would be as honest as possible. Not sure what others around here would say about reporting certain things though. I would discuss each of these instances with your recruiter, and hopefully they can give you guidance.
Thank you very much for the response! The only instance I discussed with my recruiter was the baby asthma - which he basically told me not to mention anymore. That kinda took me by surprise and got me worried about asking other things (like the fractures/surgery). I just want to know if I can even ask these questions to my recruiter or if the question itself will cook my chances at the scholarship.

The biggest question mark on that is the childhood asthma. If it's just childhood asthma it's probably not an issue, but if you still carry a asthma diagnosis you're probably done.
Okay, so if my recruiter told me not to bring up the fact that I ever had asthma, I should just listen? What about the fractures and surgery? The last thing I would ever want is to get the scholarship then be dishonorably discharged - but when my recruiter tells me to leave things like this out I don't know what to think.

Okay, so if my recruiter told me not to bring up the fact that I ever had asthma, I should just listen? What about the fractures and surgery? The last thing I would ever want is to get the scholarship then be dishonorably discharged - but when my recruiter tells me to leave things like this out I don't know what to think.

The fractures are a non issue.

Were you paying back your HPSP years for the Navy when you started? or did you just sign on as a Navy dentist? My recruiter told me that when paying back my 4 years for HPSP, I would not be eligible for any special pay/incentives. That would mean I would just be making the base pay and BAH. Is that true?
This is not true. You are eligible for all special pays except retention bonuses. Either you misunderstood, or he/she did not know what they were talking about.

Dental anesthesiology is not a specialty the Navy recognizes.

Your special pay during your HPSP pay back will be $20K annually on top of base pay and allowances as a general dentist, beginning on the first day that 1) is at least 90 days after you graduate dental school 2) are on active duty 3) are privileged and practicing general dentistry.

The website you linked is reflecting a legacy pay plan you are not eligible for and that has been converted to the new Consolidated Special Pay plan.

That is unfortunate. Is it possible to go reserve after my payback so that I could do dental anesthesiology?
I'm not sure if you didn't answer the question because you didn't know or if you just missed it, but ill just post it again just so it doesn't get lost!
If my spouse is also a dentist but a civilian, will there be any opportunities for her to work at the same base I will be stationed at? If so, how do I go about that and how likely is it to happen? Do you know what their pay would be like?
After your payback you can do whatever you want, such as going reserve. If you want to do anesthesiology, cool. But you will not be considered a specialist. If a situation arises that would require the services of anesthesiology, it would be done by a physician.
As far as your spouse, it's possible. If you're in the states, she will likely not gave trouble finding work in the area. If its abroad, I am not sure. I don't know enough about US dentists working abroad onboard US installations, so I wouldn't want to give you bad info.

Dental anesthesiology is not a specialty the Navy recognizes.

Your special pay during your HPSP pay back will be $20K annually on top of base pay and allowances as a general dentist, beginning on the first day that 1) is at least 90 days after you graduate dental school 2) are on active duty 3) are privileged and practicing general dentistry.

The website you linked is reflecting a legacy pay plan you are not eligible for and that has been converted to the new Consolidated Special Pay plan.

Do you need to have your school's diploma before you can work in the navy? The thing is sometimes a few students have to stay after graduation to finish off requirements and get their diploma. I am just afraid that I will be one of those students and I believe if the navy needs me to report to the base then I must go.

thanks

Do you need to have your school's diploma before you can work in the navy? The thing is sometimes a few students have to stay after graduation to finish off requirements and get their diploma. I am just afraid that I will be one of those students and I believe if the navy needs me to report to the base then I must go.

thanks

That sounds like something that the Navy would have to make accommodations for...so I am guessing you will just go on active duty once you finish your requirements.

Anybody on here applied and got accepted for a dental/medical FAP close to the start date of their residency? My residency requires tuition payments and I am waiting on commission documents. FAP covers tuition and fees and pays 45K/year plus a monthly stipend (~2K). I am concerned that these commission documents might take weeks to months to be prepared and I would already have started my residency and had to take out student loans to cover tuition and living expenses. I heard that the monthly stipend is only disbursed once I sign my contract; anybody knows if I will be refunded tuition?

Also I have attached what I believe is the latest pay plan for medical and dental officers. I think everything is spelled out clearly in this document if anyone wants the best ballpark figure of how much they will make as a general practitioner/ specialist.

Attachments

• Final Navy FY17 Pay Plan (2Dec16).doc
    323 KB · Views: 140
We have OMFS, then CRNAs, then anesthesiologists. There's no need for dental anesthesiology in our setting.

Government civilian jobs are posted publicly and can be easily searched online.

thanks

If you don't have a diploma then you are not a dentist and will not be able to commission per the terms of your HPSP agreement. If you take excessively long to graduate then your scholarship can be pulled.