Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Picked up for Navy HSCP this cycle!

Applied from active duty as a LT from the aviation community, currently finishing up shore duty as a Navy ROTC instructor and will start dental school this August. I put on LT in June of 2011...would be putting on LCDR next year if I stayed URL.

I've heard various rumors about how much "credit" I get for this time towards early promotion to LCDR out of dental school. Can anyone weigh in? Do I just need to "suck up" the fact that in total I'll be spending 10 years as an O-3?

My buddy crossed over from line to medical. He was up for LCDR and when he went to Med school was dropped to LTJG. When he graduated he went to O3 and was up for O4 after 2 years. The good news is he was highest on the lineal list for LTs, so when he was promoted he was #1 for putting on LCDR. Not much of a consolation I guess.

A
My buddy crossed over from line to medical. He was up for LCDR and when he went to Med school was dropped to LTJG. When he graduated he went to O3 and was up for O4 after 2 years. The good news is he was highest on the lineal list for LTs, so when he was promoted he was #1 for putting on LCDR. Not much of a consolation I guess.

A friend of mine WAS an O4, had to drop to ENS for dental school and then put LT on and selected after their first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
A

A friend of mine WAS an O4, had to drop to ENS for dental school and then put LT on and selected after their first year.

As I understand it I drop from O-3 to E-7, then when I graduate from dental school I become an O-3 again, with credit for half my time as a LT in the URL towards promotion to LCDR in the dental corps...meaning I'll be up for O-4 in about 2 years instead of 5.

I don't know if anyone else asked about this, but I read an article today that talked about the upcoming military retirement revisions and it stated that the traditional pension system would change from 50% after 20 years to 40%. Is that true? Also, if that's true, then does that mean that everyone who's grand-fathered under the old retirement plan would be rolled into REDUX from High-36?

Last edited:
Your thread doesn't answer my question. Thank though

You're welcome, but my thread does answer your first question.
Your question is quoted below:

I read an article today that talked about the upcoming military retirement revisions and it stated that the traditional pension system would change from 50% after 20 years to 40%. Is that true?

The thread had the following pieces of information that answer that:
the trade off is a retirement plan of sorts for those who serve less than 20.

The overhaul was required to be budget-neutral; so if they overhaul the retirement system to give benefits to those who serve less than 20, that money had to come from somewhere...the only place it could come from (since again, the overhaul had to be budget-neutral) was from those who DID serve the full 20. Hence the cut from 50% pay to 40% pay at 20 years of service.

tl;dr- yes, it is true.

If you're on the old plan you stay on the old plan.
I don't know if anyone else asked about this, but I read an article today that talked about the upcoming military retirement revisions and it stated that the traditional pension system would change from 50% after 20 years to 40%. Is that true? Also, if that's true, then does that mean that everyone who's grand-fathered under the old retirement plan would be rolled into REDUX from High-36?

My understanding is that the lower pension applies to those under the new plan (it pays for the frontloaded benefits)

Ok so I was very confused here. I thought the new plan didn't have any pension system what-so-ever and it was all just going to be TSP + government matching. According to the article below, it seems like you still get pension with the new plan but about 10-20% less. I'm guessing for some people the new plan may be better depending on their length of service under the new plan, how much they put into their TSP, and how well the stock market performs over the years... 30-40% pension + maximum TSP contributions and gov matchings may be better than 50% pension + minimum to no TSP contributions.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...15/11/23/reiterment-changes-choices/76049640/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 3rd-year HPSP Naval dental student at USC. I have a 2-week break between this spring semester and the summer semester. I am interested in doing a clerkship at 1 of the dental bases that I could be stationed on when I graduate in April 2017. I'm thinking that I would like to go to a base in CA. What do you do at a naval clerkship? Can I do procedures? Where do you stay? Can you do it for just 1 week? If I do a clerkship at a particular base am I more likely to get stationed at that base? Thanks

Another HSCP question. Will I be able to take leave during dental school breaks? Keep in mind I already went to OCS and will not have to do ODS. I'll shoot myself if I have to spend my extremely limited time off in dental school sitting through GMTs at the NRD every day. (Not really, but it'll be a big disappointment)

Another HSCP question. Will I be able to take leave during dental school breaks? Keep in mind I already went to OCS and will not have to do ODS. I'll shoot myself if I have to spend my extremely limited time off in dental school sitting through GMTs at the NRD every day. (Not really, but it'll be a big disappointment)

If you tell them that they'll make you sit through GMT because of the ideation...

Yes I imagine you will be able to take leave. I doubt you'll need to report to the NRD or NOSC unless they need you.

I'm on hscp with no previous military background. I had to submit a leave chit last year and it took about 2-3 weeks to get it cleared( I went out of the country for 4 weeks).

I am traveling to another state this spring and I still need to submit leave chit.. (Not as complicated as the icon is one though

I am traveling to another state this spring and I still need to submit leave chit.. (Not as complicated as the icon is one though

Yes, that's part of military life.

My point is that the NOSC or NRD isn't going to call you in to sit at a desk if you have a day off from school.

HSCP rules have been that you only need to tell your recruiter where you are going if you are travelling CONUS, if travelling OCONUS you need to formally file for leave and have trainings on hand.

***Edit*** - I was wrong, days overseas for personal leave in HSCP DO hit your leave balance. Days overseas doing medical missions and things like that do not.

Last edited:
HSCP rules have been that you only need to tell your recruiter where you are going if you are travelling CONUS, if travelling OCONUS you need to formally file for leave and have trainings on hand, however neither of these hit your leave balance.

Hey so you are saying we can travel as many times as we want out of the country as long it doesn't exceed 30 days? I left the country last year for 4 weeks and my leave days were not deducted at all. My recruiter was a little confused but he said he's not saying anything..

@AVB2104 yes - any in country travelling you do while in school doesn't hit your leave balance. You can travel as much as you want in the US as long as your recruiter knows where you are when you are in the US

***Edited***

Last edited:
Does anybody in here know how the military classifies those who are in residency? Is it "Active Duty for training" or "Active Duty" and nothing more?

For Public Service Loan Forgiveness, anyone on Active Duty is considered eligible, "but [this] does not include active duty for training or attendance at service school." I assume this mainly eliminates those on HSCP who are currently in dental school from being eligible for those four years, but I'm thinking it may also disqualify anyone in residency for however long they're in residency for.

From my interpretation, it seems like the military probably classifies or codes people as a certain Active Duty status, is that right? And then I'm assuming the Dept. of Education bases their decision of eligibility on how the military classifies you.

So, does anybody know what the classification is during residency?

upload_2016-2-13_13-32-17.png

Does anybody in here know how the military classifies those who are in residency? Is it "Active Duty for training" or "Active Duty" and nothing more?

For Public Service Loan Forgiveness, anyone on Active Duty is considered eligible, "but [this] does not include active duty for training or attendance at service school." I assume this mainly eliminates those on HSCP who are currently in dental school from being eligible for those four years, but I'm thinking it may also disqualify anyone in residency for however long they're in residency for.

From my interpretation, it seems like the military probably classifies or codes people as a certain Active Duty status, is that right? And then I'm assuming the Dept. of Education bases their decision of eligibility on how the military classifies you.

So, does anybody know what the classification is during residency?

View attachment 200426

I'd be interested in this too.

Ok so I was very confused here. I thought the new plan didn't have any pension system what-so-ever and it was all just going to be TSP + government matching. According to the article below, it seems like you still get pension with the new plan but about 10-20% less. I'm guessing for some people the new plan may be better depending on their length of service under the new plan, how much they put into their TSP, and how well the stock market performs over the years... 30-40% pension + maximum TSP contributions and gov matchings may be better than 50% pension + minimum to no TSP contributions.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...15/11/23/reiterment-changes-choices/76049640/
My interpretation is the same - this could in fact be better and will most certainly be a wonderful benefit to anyone who doesn't serve the full 20 years. It's kicking money to those who don't do the full 20 years whereas only the people who did the full 20 got something before.
You already posted this exact question in another thread...
Knowing that there has to be someone out there who has actually tried to get their PSLF Employment Certification during residency, I'm hoping to hear from someone who has been through it first-hand and who knows for sure.

PSLF has been around since 2007 - surely there's someone out there who's tried and been successful or tried and was denied? Please share your experience if you have, thanks!

I've put in an email to the Dept of Education and will share the info to the community once I have it, but if others in the know share first, great!

Graduating senior-I'm penciled in for ODS July 31 and then Great Lakes after. Does the Navy pay for our first move to our new base or are we on our own for that?

After I would graduate from dental school, could my wife and I expect to live at the same base for 4 years? Or would there be potential for me to be deployed or continuously moved.

You are very unlikely to be at the same station for 4 years. You will move at least once.

As for deployment, that's kind of part of the whole point...

Do people usually move to their new base before ODS or is there scheduled moving time after ODS/before we start work?

ODS is an intermediate stop between school and your first duty station. Your household goods, etc should typically be scheduled for pickup before you leave for ODS as you won't have much time once finishing ODS before reporting to your duty station. Unless you are on HSCP you will likely have no accrued leave and delaying between the end of ODS and checking in at your first duty station will result in a negative leave balance.

Can you explain a typical living situation for the four years of service? The recruiter explained to me that the navy would have no interest in moving me from the station that I'm assigned at for those four years as it would be too expensive to move me. What would be the odds of being stationed in a foreign country as opposed to a US mainland/territory base? I want to be able to live with my wife all four years

You'll have a 1 year initial tour then usually a 2-3 year tour which could be overseas or not - most aren't. This is assuming no PGY-1 program.

If you're stationed overseas, all but 1-2 locations are accompanied so your family would move with you.

If you happened to deploy during that tour then yes, you'd be separated from your family for some months. There's reasons people hold military service members in high regard and part of that is that they will often have to deploy and be separated from their families. For you it is unlikely unless you end up on a ship, but if you're unwilling then maybe it isn't the best choice for you.

I am currently applying to dental school. Tuition to private dental schools are overwhelming! A buddy of mine suggested that I look into joining the navy to help cover my tuition, supplies, living expenses etc... How exactly would this work? Will the navy pay for ANY school of my choosing? Is there a limit on the amount of tuition and expenses the navy will cover? If anyone can share their knowledge, and provide some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am currently applying to dental school. Tuition to private dental schools are overwhelming! A buddy of mine suggested that I look into joining the navy to help cover my tuition, supplies, living expenses etc... How exactly would this work? Will the navy pay for ANY school of my choosing? Is there a limit on the amount of tuition and expenses the navy will cover? If anyone can share their knowledge, and provide some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Are you applying in the cycle entering this fall for class of 2020?

You basically apply the same way you so to dental school. Letters of rec, good grades, personal statement, etc. Navy requires interviews with 2 naval dentists and you will need to physically qualify.

The Navy will pay for ANY school no matter the cost, as long as they are accredited.

Are you applying in the cycle entering this fall for class of 2020?

You basically apply the same way you so to dental school. Letters of rec, good grades, personal statement, etc. Navy requires interviews with 2 naval dentists and you will need to physically qualify.

The Navy will pay for ANY school no matter the cost, as long as they are accredited.

Thank you for your response BobbyBeavis! Yes I am applying for this cycle (i.e. class of 2020). I have been wait listed at a couple of schools including NYU and Tufts. If I am awarded a navy scholarship for dental school, but ultimately do not get off the wait list at any of the dental schools, does the Navy have designated "class seats" at any of the dental schools, where Navy scholarship recipients can be placed even if they were not accepted directly by that particular dental school? In other words, is being granted admission into dental school completely independent of whether or not someone gets awarded a navy scholarship?

Thank you for your response BobbyBeavis! Yes I am applying for this cycle (i.e. class of 2020). I have been wait listed at a couple of schools including NYU and Tufts. If I am awarded a navy scholarship for dental school, but ultimately do not get off the wait list at any of the dental schools, does the Navy have designated "class seats" at any of the dental schools, where Navy scholarship recipients can be placed even if they were not accepted directly by that particular dental school? In other words, is being granted admission into dental school completely independent of whether or not someone gets awarded a navy scholarship?

You won't get any sort of preference at dental schools because you are looking to join the military. Furthermore, it is most likely far too late to even obtain a scholarship if you haven't even started the process yet. Most people apply to the HPSP during the same time they are applying for dental school. However, it would be most beneficial to you to try to find a recruiter that could get your packet done ASAP (if one still wants to work with you). This would hopefully put you in a good position to be in the running for a 3-year scholarship.

I'm graduating May 13, ODS on July 31 and reporting to Great Lakes September 16. When does my 4 year payback start? As soon as I start at Great Lakes?

I'm graduating May 13, ODS on July 31 and reporting to Great Lakes September 16. When does my 4 year payback start? As soon as I start at Great Lakes?

Great Lakes.....my old stomping grounds. Make sure you go see a recruit graduation.

This might be a really silly question, but if you receive a HPSP through Navy, are you guaranteed to spend some time of your active duty obligation on a ship? That is what I've heard but some say it isn't 100%.

How many times does a typically Navy dentist on the 4 year HPSP contract get deployed?

You'll have a 1 year initial tour then usually a 2-3 year tour which could be overseas or not - most aren't. This is assuming no PGY-1 program.

If you're stationed overseas, all but 1-2 locations are accompanied so your family would move with you

Can someone elaborate on this timeline if I am applying to the 3 year HPSP program? Is it still a 3 year commitment/payback? Would it then be a 1 year initial tour and an additional 2 year operational tour? Would I be ruled out from CONUS or overseas tours?

3 year doesn't rule you out of anything.

Okay. but is it safe to say that I am less likely to be stationed overseas in Japan or Europe for 2 years for OCONUS tours?

Last edited: