Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Prescreening process for the Army HPSP, about how long does it take? I meet with a recruiter tomorrow to discuss applying for the next cycle of scholarships. What all does the prescreening process entail?

Pending that the screening process is Kool, how long on average would it take to schedule my MEPS appointment?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently applying to dental school and I am considering the HPSP. Besides the health requirements, are there any PT or fitness standards you have to meet to get the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently applying to dental school and I am considering the HPSP. Besides the health requirements, are there any PT or fitness standards you have to meet to get the scholarship?

You should try to be fit enough to pass the PT test, the minimum score is 180 (60 in each category: 2 mi run, push ups, sit ups), and the score varies per age and gender. Google APFT score sheet to see where you would fall in... Even better, you could see if you could max the PT test (300 score), that would earn you major props from your leadership!

Reactions: 1 users
Similar to Deep Impact's Navy thread.

If you have a question about Army Dentistry, drop a line and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from my experience.

My tours so far:

Loma Linda - 4yr HPSP
Ft. Lewis- 1yr AEGD
Camp Casey, Korea- 1yr
Ft. Richardson, AK - 1yr
Camp Bucca, Iraq - Been here 8 months
I am looking forward to serving my country as a Dentist for the Army...how many times a day to you get shot at? or how close are you to the field of combat? ...might be a silly question idk.

You shouldn't be shot at much at all. Typically the dental clinics are well within the compounds and dentists are typically not leaving the compounds to do anything. The main risk (which is rare) is inbound rockets/mortars which the base has counter-measures for.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you live off-base on unaccompanied tours like to Korea?

As an Army dentist, do you have the opportunity to work with armor crewman (tanks) or other specialties like artillery? Are these considered TOE spots? Or is infantryman the only mos considered for a TOE spot?

Graduating from dental school after 4-year HPSP requires 4 years at as a base as a dentist. What options does one have if they plan on specializing post-graduation? Would I only be able to apply to Army specialties, and what is the payback time (1:1, if I’m not mistaken)?

what are the pros and cons of going as a reserve in the army ??
Pros:
-Serve your country (as a Commissioned Officer)
-*Get to live where ever you want
-work 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year (this is called "drill")
-Drill pay, may also be eligible for special pays
-Student load repayment program (up to $250K!)
-Stipend program (>$2,200/month while in dental school)
-Low-cost medical and dental care
-Continuing education opportunities
-General Army benefits/discounts (commissary, post exchange store)
-Retirement options
-Retention bonus
-Opportunities for additional training, leadership positions and humanitarian work

...A big Con is that you may be mobilized (typically a 3 month displacement, can be anywhere in the US or overseas) or deployed (typically 9 months to middle east/Africa) at any time so you would have to have an agreement with your employer or have a contingency plan if you are a sole practitioner. Besides that, I think the Cons are clearer too when you compare to the benefits of Active Duty (or FULL TIME) Army

Pros for Active Duty:
-Commissioned Officer Salary pay (Competitive salary with regular increases in rank, salary, and responsibility)
-Incentive pay and Retention bonuses
-Travel and new assignments (free moving)
-Free on-post housing or a housing allowance, sustenance allowance, possible cost-of-living adjustment allowance
-*Free residency of your choosing (+ full salary while attending)
-Board certification and specialty pay
-*Free medical and dental benefits
-Low cost life insurance
-*Malpractice insurance covered
-*30 days paid leave plus all federal holidays off
-Thrift Savings Plan
-Retirement Plan
-GI Bill, VA Home Loan eligibility

The Con here would be that you have some/less autonomy on where you live. Typically our Assignments Officer at HRC will honor your location Wish List (where you rank 1-10 your locations based on availability) and try their best to get you one of your top 4 choices I'd say. You also run the possibility of deployment here but it's typically limited to those who are in a Field Unit/Brigade Dentist/TOE or those who have volunteered.

Can you live off-base on unaccompanied tours like to Korea?
Yes and no. In Korea, Area 1 (most northern) No. Area 2, all unaccompanied live off-post. Area 3 it depends on the on-post availability. Other overseas tours (Europe, Hawaii, Japan) typically yes.

As an Army dentist, do you have the opportunity to work with armor crewman (tanks) or other specialties like artillery? Are these considered TOE spots? Or is infantryman the only mos considered for a TOE spot?
Yes, as a dentist you can be assigned to any type of field (TOE) unit such as an Airborne/Air Assault unit, a Special Forces unit, a Civil Affairs unit, a Medical unit, etc. Remember though, your job is to be a Dentist so you would not change your MOS or AOC. Pending on the mission and your commander, you would be allowed to train with your unit of their tasks though. So for Airborne you're encouraged to jump, for medical you're encouraged to earn the Expert Field Medical Badge, and across the entire Corps, we train to proficiency regularly on our assigned weapon, the M-9 pistol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduating from dental school after 4-year HPSP requires 4 years at as a base as a dentist. What options does one have if they plan on specializing post-graduation? Would I only be able to apply to Army specialties, and what is the payback time (1:1, if I’m not mistaken)?

If you are HPSP then yes you can only apply to Army residencies while you have a service obligation. Before graduation from dental school, you will apply for the 1-year AEGD residency (this is mandatory to apply for but you do not have to accept it) and whichever residency you choose for the specialty you are interested in. *This will be the only opportunity you have to apply for 2 residencies. You will serve your HPSP pay-back time CONCURRENTLY with your residency and then incur a 1:1 year for the length of that residency. Some may add an additional year (ortho, pedo 2:3) because the Army has contracted civilian spots for those residencies. So if you go to a civilian school (ONLY those 2, STILL through the Army application, NOT at a civilian school of your choosing!) you may incur an additional year.

Reactions: 2 users
No you don't need to pass a test in order to get the scholarship but you do need to be in good height-weight-physical standings and will be required to do the PT test for Direct Commissioning Course (DCC) before you start dental school or in the summer after your 1st year, and at Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC), and once on Active Duty every 6 months. Google Apft-standards for reference. I'd recommend familiarizing yourself and getting comfortable with it before being tested.

- Do I need to apply for a DEA license, or does the Army provide something analogous?

- Does the Army reimburse license fees? DEA fees? How can I be reimbursed given that MODS is down?

I wanted to get some information from someone who knows about the process of applying for orthodontic residency for the Army. Are there any specialty test required/suggested (ADAT, GRE, etc)? Where is the ortho residecy currently located (just Louisville)? What is the process for applying while still in school? Thank you!

I wanted to get some information from someone who knows about the process of applying for orthodontic residency for the Army. Are there any specialty test required/suggested (ADAT, GRE, etc)? Where is the ortho residecy currently located (just Louisville)? What is the process for applying while still in school? Thank you!

None of the exams are required. The civilian location is at Louisville (consecutive payback) and the military location is at San Antonio (concurrent payback). You will receive information around August heading into fourth year regarding the application. Mostly just a statement of motivation and some LORs plus a few other forms. You will have a phone interview around November, hear back around end of December. There are usually only 2 slots available a year, rarely taken directly out of school.

- Do I need to apply for a DEA license, or does the Army provide something analogous?

- Does the Army reimburse license fees? DEA fees? How can I be reimbursed given that MODS is down?

The Army takes care of your Federal DEA so you can prescribe in the military and you will not need to register for your own DEA.

The Army will not cover your state dental license fee.

Hi,

I was wondering if dual degrees are allowed under HPSP if it does not add to the time that it will take to graduate and if it does not add any additional costs? Thank you very much!

Dual degrees are generally looked at on a case-by-case basis. The criteria for approval from the HPSP Office is:
1. Copy of Current Transcript
2. Cannot have been placed on any type of academic remediation/repeat
3. Must have passed part 1 of the NBDE on the first attempt
4. Must have attended Army officer training (DCC and or BOLC)
5. Must complete the dental degree on time
6. Cannot impose any additional cost to the government

Once those milestones are met, you must request permission to pursue the degree, and the Consultant must approve it in advance.

Question
I'm trying to plan and need timeline after graduation.
I'm going to apply for 1 yr AEGD but not sure if i will get it.
I have not yet attended BOLC.
So I graduate in May 2020, I have family. We are wondering what's we should be expecting.
I understand I will be attending BOLC after my graduation.
Will I be back home after that before I have to go to first duty station? If so how long will I have to move?

Question
I'm trying to plan and need timeline after graduation.
I'm going to apply for 1 yr AEGD but not sure if i will get it.
I have not yet attended BOLC.
So I graduate in May 2020, I have family. We are wondering what's we should be expecting.
I understand I will be attending BOLC after my graduation.
Will I be back home after that before I have to go to first duty station? If so how long will I have to move?

Action: Find out your first duty station location whether that is AEGD or otherwise (Feb-Mar), graduate (May), commission to Active Duty (usually the same day/day after graduation), BOLC (June), 1st duty station.
You'll typically have a few weeks after graduation to get ready to leave (whether that's finishing up school/licensure requirements, packing if you're moving yourself/having the movers come if you're planning on relocating prior. Your family is not authorized/advised to go with you to San Antonio (BOLC) so a few common options are:

1. Your family stays in place while you go to BOLC and the movers come while you are away. Once finished with BOLC you're family joins you at first duty station or you go back to get them and travel to your duty station together. (You should get a few days of travel time in between.)

2. Your movers come/you pack your things and family stays with parents/in-laws/etc during those 6 weeks.

3. In the weeks after graduation you move your family before you go to BOLC to your new duty station and pay with your stipend/savings.

Things to note:

1. Your family will be on your orders to your new duty station which will typically have a report date of July XX on there and "30 days early reporting is authorized." So your family can move there and get the Housing Allowance 30 days before...which would fall while you are in the middle of your BOLC training.

2. You are allowed 10 days of lodging on arrival at your new duty station- so instead of flying somewhere and checking out the area before while you're busy trying to graduate, you would instead wait to physically look for your place to live in that time frame. And please I advise you not to sign a lease before actually physically looking at the place/neighborhood.

3. There a few options for moving which I'll just touch on briefly. a) Full: movers come and fully pack your things, ship, deliver, and fully unpack on the other end. (Depending on availability could be in transit for 4-6 weeks.) b) DITY (do-it-yourself): you weigh your empty trailer, pack your things, weigh it full, drive, sign in to your station. c) Partial DITY: mix of a and b.
Also, your movers will allow a small shipment that usually will arrive sooner (3-4 weeks). Helpful for things of convenience: air mattresses/bedding, cookware, child's things. etc.

Hope that helps.

-US Army Dental Corps Recuiting Integration Officer
[email protected]

Action: Find out your first duty station location whether that is AEGD or otherwise (Feb-Mar), graduate (May), commission to Active Duty (usually the same day/day after graduation), BOLC (June), 1st duty station.
You'll typically have a few weeks after graduation to get ready to leave (whether that's finishing up school/licensure requirements, packing if you're moving yourself/having the movers come if you're planning on relocating prior. Your family is not authorized/advised to go with you to San Antonio (BOLC) so a few common options are:

1. Your family stays in place while you go to BOLC and the movers come while you are away. Once finished with BOLC you're family joins you at first duty station or you go back to get them and travel to your duty station together. (You should get a few days of travel time in between.)

2. Your movers come/you pack your things and family stays with parents/in-laws/etc during those 6 weeks.

3. In the weeks after graduation you move your family before you go to BOLC to your new duty station and pay with your stipend/savings.

Things to note:

1. Your family will be on your orders to your new duty station which will typically have a report date of July XX on there and "30 days early reporting is authorized." So your family can move there and get the Housing Allowance 30 days before...which would fall while you are in the middle of your BOLC training.

2. You are allowed 10 days of lodging on arrival at your new duty station- so instead of flying somewhere and checking out the area before while you're busy trying to graduate, you would instead wait to physically look for your place to live in that time frame. And please I advise you not to sign a lease before actually physically looking at the place/neighborhood.

3. There a few options for moving which I'll just touch on briefly. a) Full: movers come and fully pack your things, ship, deliver, and fully unpack on the other end. (Depending on availability could be in transit for 4-6 weeks.) b) DITY (do-it-yourself): you weigh your empty trailer, pack your things, weigh it full, drive, sign in to your station. c) Partial DITY: mix of a and b.
Also, your movers will allow a small shipment that usually will arrive sooner (3-4 weeks). Helpful for things of convenience: air mattresses/bedding, cookware, child's things. etc.

Hope that helps.

-US Army Dental Corps Recuiting Integration Officer
[email protected]

Thank you so much! That was a lot of quality information! Something I want to ask now is finance. What do army cover? Like, do they cover moving fees? Travel fees for my family?

I'm a prior service CPT with a total of ten years. I get my primary zone look for Major next year (BZ this year). I have knocked out 95% of my pre-reqs (still need biochem but I have it scheduled for this fall ) and taken my DAT and have my LORs. The only thing I am still really actively working on is my experience list on the AADSAS application. Many of the supervisors that I had in the military for the first 7 years are retired or have gotten out. I don't have numbers and emails for these people, are ADCOMs going to get hung up on this? I've been annotating them as retired in their title.

Former Army Medic, 6 years, Two tours, Qatar & Afghanistan. Hoping to start dental school fall, 2019.

Got any tips/advice for the various scholarship programs. Can you still get all your loans paid for if you join after you graduate, instead of joining as you start dental school?
What's the deal if you join as a first year dental student, national guard style?

Thanks!

I'm a prior service CPT with a total of ten years. I get my primary zone look for Major next year (BZ this year). I have knocked out 95% of my pre-reqs (still need biochem but I have it scheduled for this fall ) and taken my DAT and have my LORs. The only thing I am still really actively working on is my experience list on the AADSAS application. Many of the supervisors that I had in the military for the first 7 years are retired or have gotten out. I don't have numbers and emails for these people, are ADCOMs going to get hung up on this? I've been annotating them as retired in their title.
Shouldn't be an issue. The pool that you are competing against is primarily Civilian and their LORs will be from undergrad professors that they may/may not have worked closely with. Please realize that if/when you graduate dental school and come on active duty that you will be getting 2:1 credit for your prior service for rank, so even if selected for Major you will likely come in as a CPT with 3 or maybe 4 yrs and promotion won't occur for 2 more years (year #6). Promotion to MAJ is a fully qualified board and not a competitive board, so their is no BZ look.

We have a three year scholarship, usually about 10-15 slots per year for the 3 year scholarship.

How competitive is the three year scholarship compared to the four year scholarship? Also could you give a rough estimate on how many spots are available for the four year scholarship and rough acceptance rates?

How competitive is the three year scholarship compared to the four year scholarship? Also could you give a rough estimate on how many spots are available for the four year scholarship and rough acceptance rates?

65 slots for the 4 year scholarship, roughly about a 30-40% chance of getting selected based on the interest for that year group. (last year 150ish applicants)
15 Slots for the 3 year scholarship, roughly about a 20-30% chance of getting selected (last year they actually took 20 people but had around 80 applicants)

65 slots for the 4 year scholarship, roughly about a 30-40% chance of getting selected based on the interest for that year group. (last year 150ish applicants)
15 Slots for the 3 year scholarship, roughly about a 20-30% chance of getting selected (last year they actually took 20 people but had around 80 applicants)

Do you know when the board meets to decide the 3 year scholarship recipients?

Has BAMC shut down its Oral Surgery residency program (speaking for Army)?

Has BAMC shut down its Oral Surgery residency program (speaking for Army)?
upload_2018-10-3_15-6-10.png

Still open, as of this year.

View attachment 240446

Still open, as of this year.
I'm a D3 Army HPSP interested in doing an Oral Surgery Externship at San Antonio MMC, I've searched online but I can't find a contact for the program, and MODS seems to be down for me. Would you be able to point me in the right direction?
Much appreciated

I'm a D3 Army HPSP interested in doing an Oral Surgery Externship at San Antonio MMC, I've searched online but I can't find a contact for the program, and MODS seems to be down for me. Would you be able to point me in the right direction?
Much appreciated

Sent you a private message!

I have a question about service length. If I do 4 years of dental school with 4 years required HPSP commitment afterwards, do a 1-year AEGD first year out of school, do a year of general dentistry in between doing a 2-year AEGD/Endo, how many years do I owe afterwards? Thanks!

With the changes in NDBE, I will have about a 3-month break this summer (end of D1). Is this when I should be attending BOLC or should I attend after graduation?

With the changes in NDBE, I will have about a 3-month break this summer (end of D1). Is this when I should be attending BOLC or should I attend after graduation?

If you can get it done early, do it. You’ll be able to start earlier after you graduate, start your payback, start getting paid, etc. I went early and would recommend it if possible.

If you can get it done early, do it. You’ll be able to start earlier after you graduate, start your payback, start getting paid, etc. I went early and would recommend it if possible.
Thank you!!

Hello everyone!

I am a D1 at Penn Dental and was wondering what the Army cares about the most when it comes to getting selected for residency programs. Like do they care about research and other stuff or is it mostly your GPA?

I am interested in Endo or OS. I know statistically it is nearly impossible to get accepted to Endo right after school, but I am prior service with 5 yrs in. I was Enlisted for 2 yrs as Dental specialist and was selected as 2014 DENCOM Best Warrior/ soldier of the year. Then, did ROTC and was commissioned before I came to dental school. So I would say I am very different from typical HPSP students?

Lastly, is there anyway I can attend a civilian residency program instead?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!

I am a D1 at Penn Dental and was wondering what the Army cares about the most when it comes to getting selected for residency programs. Like do they care about research and other stuff or is it mostly your GPA?

I am interested in Endo or OS. I know statistically it is nearly impossible to get accepted to Endo right after school, but I am prior service with 5 yrs in. I was Enlisted for 2 yrs as Dental specialist and was selected as 2014 DENCOM Best Warrior/ soldier of the year. Then, did ROTC and was commissioned before I came to dental school. So I would say I am very different from typical HPSP students?

Lastly, is there anyway I can attend a civilian residency program instead?

Thanks in advance!

It is more about who you are competing with those slots for. If a bunch of dentists who have been practicing with the army for a few years apply knowing they are adding to their contract they are going to have the best shot at it. The army is always going to help their own and would prefer to get some more years out of their dentists that are already trained. Doesn't mean a student can't apply and get it and I have seen the results every year and there are students who are awarded seats but it is always an uphill battle for a student vs a practicing dentist.

Hello,

I’m currently a D3 on the 4-year scholarship looking into the 2-year AEGD.

When I went to BOLC in 2016 I was given a paper showing the number of applicants to the number of acceptants for each specialty. Does anyone have an updated list for the last couple cycles?

Thanks!

Hello,

I’m currently a D3 on the 4-year scholarship looking into the 2-year AEGD.

When I went to BOLC in 2016 I was given a paper showing the number of applicants to the number of acceptants for each specialty. Does anyone have an updated list for the last couple cycles?

Thanks!
Yes you can email me and I'll share the info! [email protected]

I have a question about service length. If I do 4 years of dental school with 4 years required HPSP commitment afterwards, do a 1-year AEGD first year out of school, do a year of general dentistry in between doing a 2-year AEGD/Endo, how many years do I owe afterwards? Thanks!
Your specialty training runs concurrently with your HPSP contract and your utilization tour time incurred for residency training is tacked on after. You can email me and we can talk about specific scenarios. I'm the recruiting integration officer for the army dental corps [email protected]

Pros:
-Serve your country (as a Commissioned Officer)
-*Get to live where ever you want
-work 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/year (this is called "drill")
-Drill pay, may also be eligible for special pays
-Student load repayment program (up to $250K!)
-Stipend program (>$2,200/month while in dental school)
-Low-cost medical and dental care
-Continuing education opportunities
-General Army benefits/discounts (commissary, post exchange store)
-Retirement options
-Retention bonus
-Opportunities for additional training, leadership positions and humanitarian work

...A big Con is that you may be mobilized (typically a 3 month displacement, can be anywhere in the US or overseas) or deployed (typically 9 months to middle east/Africa) at any time so you would have to have an agreement with your employer or have a contingency plan if you are a sole practitioner. Besides that, I think the Cons are clearer too when you compare to the benefits of Active Duty (or FULL TIME) Army

Pros for Active Duty:
-Commissioned Officer Salary pay (Competitive salary with regular increases in rank, salary, and responsibility)
-Incentive pay and Retention bonuses
-Travel and new assignments (free moving)
-Free on-post housing or a housing allowance, sustenance allowance, possible cost-of-living adjustment allowance
-*Free residency of your choosing (+ full salary while attending)
-Board certification and specialty pay
-*Free medical and dental benefits
-Low cost life insurance
-*Malpractice insurance covered
-*30 days paid leave plus all federal holidays off
-Thrift Savings Plan
-Retirement Plan
-GI Bill, VA Home Loan eligibility

The Con here would be that you have some/less autonomy on where you live. Typically our Assignments Officer at HRC will honor your location Wish List (where you rank 1-10 your locations based on availability) and try their best to get you one of your top 4 choices I'd say. You also run the possibility of deployment here but it's typically limited to those who are in a Field Unit/Brigade Dentist/TOE or those who have volunteered.
New regulations now limit mobilizations and deployments to maximum 90 days!

Thank you so much! That was a lot of quality information! Something I want to ask now is finance. What do army cover? Like, do they cover moving fees? Travel fees for my family?
100% moving expenses. Movers come and pack everything and address responsible for unpacking on the other end (including removal of boxes and all packing material). You can partially DIY your move too. In fact, you often make money when you move. 100% travel for family. Paid hotel stay when you get to your new location so you can look for a new place to live.