Ask an Army Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does any one know what are my chances of getting off the OML for the 4yr HPSP of 2019 Grad??? My recruiter told me that I was 'Selected' but because I applied late (I applied in June when 4yr HPSP reopened due to # of applicants dropped), there are many applicants before me, hence I was put on OML, and I am just going to have to keep my finger cross for the 4 yr HPSP. However, if NOT selected, he said I will rollover for the 3 yr HPSP.

* So, my question here is: Being 'Selected' already and assuming I don't get pickup for the 4yr! Am I guarantee a 3 yr HPSP with Army ??

Thank you much.
No. You and all the other OML candidates will be reconsidered for the 3 year scholarships along with the new 3 yr applicants. I do not however remember if you have to submit a new application or if they just use your old one.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me what determines where you get stationed after you graduate from dental school? What will help get your top choice? Are things like GPA and class rank determining factors or is it random? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I believe the Army will send u where you are most needed, as a dentist.

I am signing the contract through MAVNI program as an active duty soldier. Is it possible i can receive HPSP for dental after i finish the AD and receive my citizenship? I have asked my mavni recruiter but it seems like that he does not really know about HPSP..

Yes. AFTER you have fulfilled the active duty commitment, and obtain citizenship, with an acceptance to a dental school in the US or Puerto Rico, you are welcome to apply for the scholarship.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. AFTER you have fulfilled the active duty commitment, and obtain citizenship, with an acceptance to a dental school in the US or Puerto Rico, you are welcome to apply for the scholarship.

Thank you so much. I am glad that i am eligible to apply. I have another question. What if i sign as a army reserve?

You are not eligible to be in HPSP while in the active Reserves or National Guard.

Any 4-yr Army HPSP left at this point. Or should I best hope for the 3-yr? Inputs are always welcome.

3 yr will be your only option this late in the game. To apply for a 4 yr you need to have begun the application process in the fall so that everything is completed waiting on your acceptance letter in December. The longer you wait after that, the less your chances. If you are starting dental school this fall and you are just now looking at applying in the summer you have a zero chance at the 4 yr and you will be disadvantaged at the 3 yr since you have a short period of time to get your application together.

Can anyone else confirm that all 3 year Army scholarships this year will be given out only to those applicants that were put on the OML (order of merit list)? Pretty disappointing to hear from my recruiter after I completed all of my application, essay, and had multiple individuals write new letters of recommendation for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read above posts

What exactly am I supposed to be reading? My question hasn't been answered above. I had my app for the 3 year HPSP ready to turn in today, only to be told that all 3 years will be given to those on the OML from last year. I'm looking for someone to confirm this.

I believe it is. The nice thing about the comp program is if you decide later you want to specialize in something else, you can.

Senior year of dental school you can apply for many of the traditional specialties in the Army. Each year they determine which ones. Comp has always been one of the options. The process for applying to comp, or any of the other applicable specialties would be to submit your packet (there will be guidance stating exactly what goes into the packet), wait for the board to meet and select residents, wait for the program directors to select which residents go to which programs, graduate school and go to BOLC (if not already completed), snow-bird for a year as a general dentist, begin the specialty program the following summer.

I will claim one small bit of ignorance...I don't recall if you can do a 1 yr AEGD as your snow-bird year and then immediately begin a specialty the following summer.

Sometimes they will offer both a one year AEGD and specialty spot, with 2 PCSs. Not sure how common it is to do AEGD while snowbirding, or why it would be offered, but this was offered to me. They said I wouldn't technically graduate from the AEGD program until completing my first semester of specialty training because I would have had to leave AEGD early to begin the next training.

What exactly am I supposed to be reading? My question hasn't been answered above. I had my app for the 3 year HPSP ready to turn in today, only to be told that all 3 years will be given to those on the OML from last year. I'm looking for someone to confirm this.
I said posts (plural) - you gotta be able to read more than one old post to find the answer to your question.

I said posts (plural) - you gotta be able to read more than one old post to find the answer to your question.
Thanks for being of no help at all. I'm not asking to be spoon-fed, but I have gone back to three years of posts and haven't seen any relevant answer.

Thanks for being of no help at all. I'm not asking to be spoon-fed, but I have gone back to three years of posts and haven't seen any relevant answer.
Well, you won't get any help with that kind of attitude, I thought u r suppose to be a 'Dental Student' now

What does being a dental student have to do with anything? Please go back under your bridge

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What does being a dental student have to do with anything? Please go back under your bridge

tsk..tsk...oh gringo, you have a lot of learning to do! Sounds like ur not too happy paying that high tuition at MWU

Have a great day. Hopefully someone else can be a little more helpful

Hi, I am applying to dental school this fall with the intention of not completing my bachelor's degree. I am also interested in the HPSP scholarship. I have contacted both the army and the navy healthcare recruiters and both have told me that I need to complete my bachelor's in order to be eligible for the program, because a college degree is required in order for a person to be an officer. However, I have seen it posted in this forum that a college degree is not nessesary for either branch as long as I have acceptance into a dental school. I also know that tbond5 ( a member of this forum) recently received a 4 year navy scholarship without a college degree. My question is; do I or don't I need a college degree to apply for the HPSP scholarship? If I don't need one, how do I convince the recruiters that I don't so that they will 1) Allow me to begin the application process and 2) actually take my application seriously? Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi, I am applying to dental school this fall with the intention of not completing my bachelor's degree. I am also interested in the HPSP scholarship. I have contacted both the army and the navy healthcare recruiters and both have told me that I need to complete my bachelor's in order to be eligible for the program, because a college degree is required in order for a person to be an officer. However, I have seen it posted in this forum that a college degree is not nessesary for either branch as long as I have acceptance into a dental school. I also know that tbond5 ( a member of this forum) recently received a 4 year navy scholarship without a college degree. My question is; do I or don't I need a college degree to apply for the HPSP scholarship? If I don't need one, how do I convince the recruiters that I don't so that they will 1) Allow me to begin the application process and 2) actually take my application seriously? Any feedback is appreciated.

I confirmed with Recruiting Command Headquarters - there has been no change in policy. If you get accepted to dental school you are eligible for the scholarship. If your recruiter still does not believe this, just have them contact the dental liason at USAREC (recruiting command) to confirm/validate.

Can anyone else confirm that all 3 year Army scholarships this year will be given out only to those applicants that were put on the OML (order of merit list)? Pretty disappointing to hear from my recruiter after I completed all of my application, essay, and had multiple individuals write new letters of recommendation for me.

***Here's the caveat - this is subject to change in future years***

Recruiting Command confirmed that a board will be convened to consider the 4yr OML applicants as well as the new 3 yr applicants. I did not ask when the board was meeting nor any other information about # of applicants or when results will be announced. I do know that there are only 15 - 3 yr scholarships available for this next year. So depending on the number of new applicants and wait listed applicants, that will determine the liklihood of a scholarship being awarded.

***Here's the caveat - this is subject to change in future years***

Recruiting Command confirmed that a board will be convened to consider the 4yr OML applicants as well as the new 3 yr applicants. I did not ask when the board was meeting nor any other information about # of applicants or when results will be announced. I do know that there are only 15 - 3 yr scholarships available for this next year. So depending on the number of new applicants and wait listed applicants, that will determine the liklihood of a scholarship being awarded.

Thanks. I was told by a recruiter yesterday that there will be a board coming up soon for us 3 year applicants, to possibly receive a 4 years scholarship, but if we are not selected, then we are out of luck. I'm calling today to get more info on this

Thanks. I was told by a recruiter yesterday that there will be a board coming up soon for us 3 year applicants, to possibly receive a 4 years scholarship, but if we are not selected, then we are out of luck. I'm calling today to get more info on this
There is no possibility of getting a 4 yr scholarship. Best you could hope for is 3.

There is no possibility of getting a 4 yr scholarship. Best you could hope for is 3.
I'm hearing all sorts of conflicting info. One recruiter has told me that there should be a few extra 3 year scholarships available, while another said they will all be dispersed. Then I'm hearing that I can still apply for the four year scholarship. My app is ready to turn in, but I'm not expecting much at this point. Just crossing my fingers and hoping that I can still apply for a 3 year scholarship;

My friend recently received the 3yr HPSP and signed on for a 4th year to receive the $20k signing bonus. She now regrets it so I was wondering if there was a way to give the money back? If not, what would happen if she left the army early and didn't serve her 4th year? (Her recruiters don't know so I've turned to SDN)

Have your 'friend' read her contract. If she does not have a copy she can contact the HPSP office at 877-MED-ARMY and they will provide a copy to her.

What kind of school slots are open for Dentists? A financial Aid rep at a school I was interviewing at told us that some students that had received the HPSP went into the Army and then went on to SF selection.. I wanted to call BS but I really wasn't sure. I'm sure Dentists get Airborne, Air Assault slots but Im wondering what else? SOCM? Ranger? etc.. I know its all unit dependent etc. And I get it, "why would a Dentist need Ranger school?"... But those of that have spent time in the Military have seen all kinds of crazy things that we thought didn't make sense...

The Dental Corps has very few locations that are with SF units, however they do not take dentists straight out of school as they want someone that has finished a 1 yr AEGD or has practiced for a few years - same thing goes for brigade dentists.

Schools that you may have the opportunity to go to will depend on the command that you go to. If you are assigned to a combat unit (SF or as a brigade dentist), those opportunities may be more plentiful as it is something that the other members of your unit will attend (typically not SF school or Ranger - but Airborne, Air Assault, etc...). Outside of combat units YMMV. If you are assigned to a dental unit that is located where these schools take place (Benning, Campbell, Drum, etc...) then you may have an opportunity since it does not cost your unit any money. If you are not located at one of these bases it will depend on your Commander, however the opportunity to compete for the Expert Field Medical Badge (EFMB) should be offered to any interested individual within the AMEDD.

Hi,

I will be applying for dental school in June of 2016, and am interested in the HPSP scholarship. My DAT scores are AA - 23, TS - 24, and PAT - 17. My GPA shows a strong upward trend, and will be about 3.4 when I apply.

I would like to know when would be a good time to apply, what are my chances of acquiring the scholarship, and whether the scholarship still comes with a $20,000 sign-on bonus?

Also, I can't swim, so I assume it would be best to apply to the Army or Air Force instead of the Navy?

If I understand correctly you are going to apply next year with a hopes of a 2017 start in dental school. If you are trying for a 2016 start then you should get in touch with a recruiter now.

Best time to begin working with a recruiter is next summer when you begin to put together your applications to dental school and go on interviews. As far as your chances it will depend on how many people apply since there are only a set amount of scholarships. You will be compared against your peers, therefore if your stats are above most, you have a better chance then if you are in the middle or bottom third. The healthcare recruiter will be able to tell you what bonuses are available when you contact them next summer.

2 questions

Is the aegd required after dental school in the military?

Also, after graduation, what kinds of training do you have to go through? I know there is the OBC, but i was reading that it consisted of two parts? Could someone explain the two parts?

Just trying to figure out what happens after graduation besides being commissioned as Captain and needing to do some sort of training.

AEGD is not required after dental school, but you are required to apply for it (1 yr AEGD). You can then decline it if selected. No other required training other than OBC/BOLC. It would be best to do OBC/BOLC before you start dental school in my opinion.

AEGD is not required after dental school, but you are required to apply for it (1 yr AEGD). You can then decline it if selected. No other required training other than OBC/BOLC. It would be best to do OBC/BOLC before you start dental school in my opinion.
Why would it be better to do it before??

Probably just to get it out of the way and avoid any crazy scheduling issues in the future. I think going to BOLC early on will give a future Army Officer an idea of the Army culture and will ease the transition from civilian to military life. Just my opinion. Krmower may have different reasoning.

Nope. I think it improves the initial transition while also allowing some flexibility following dental school graduation. Not only will it open up the opportunity for externships at bases during the summer, but following graduation you can report as early (or as late) into the summer as you want to your first Army assignment.

Nope. I think it improves the initial transition while also allowing some flexibility following dental school graduation. Not only will it open up the opportunity for externships at bases during the summer, but following graduation you can report as early (or as late) into the summer as you want to your first Army assignment.
Got it, thank you!

Last question: For the physical fitness test, i know that it is towards the beginning of obc. So before entering obc, should i be fit or will there be some physical conditioning prior to the test?

start getting fit now, you don't want to show up and try to get in shape, there will be no time for that... I personally haven't been to BOLC but I'm sure there are plenty of nice long runs (3-6 miles), plenty of push ups, sit ups, leg lifts etc, and I assume a ruck march or 2 (6 or 12 miles, 25-50lbs).. I'm sure a quick google search can produce the specifics... Anyway, start getting in shape.. again a google search will produce a wealth of "beginner" training regimes or "military PT" workouts.. focus on endurance and bodyweight exercises, then the weights.. I see a lot of guys hitting the weights before Basic training etc.. which is good but endurance is paramount in the military training

Here is the link to the Army BOLC. It's a little out of date, and some stuff does not apply because out of all the BOLC classes each year, yours is the only one that is six weeks long instead of 11 weeks. Take the time to click on the "Job Book" lotta good stuff there.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/BOLC/

Reactions: 1 users
Okay thank you!

I lied about the last question.

I was wondering about how the scheduling of everything would go if I don't do BOLC before graduating dental school.

How do you schedule everything if you still have to take the WREB and have still yet to go to bolc?

Okay thank you!

I lied about the last question.

I was wondering about how the scheduling of everything would go if I don't do BOLC before graduating dental school.

How do you schedule everything if you still have to take the WREB and have still yet to go to bolc?

You are REQUIRED to take the exam before coming onto active duty. You don't need to pass it, but you do have to take it. If it is not offered before you graduate, then things become more difficult. You can look into taking a different board, or you will go to BOLC after coming onto active duty. If that is the case, you don't go to the 6 week BOLC, you go to the one that is almost 3 months long.

Again, go to BOLC before school if at all possible.

You are REQUIRED to take the exam before coming onto active duty. You don't need to pass it, but you do have to take it. If it is not offered before you graduate, then things become more difficult. You can look into taking a different board, or you will go to BOLC after coming onto active duty. If that is the case, you don't go to the 6 week BOLC, you go to the one that is almost 3 months long.

Again, go to BOLC before school if at all possible.
Okay sounds good. Thank you for your reply.

Hi, just wanted to know if there has been any news on the 3yr. Army scholarships ?? Was anyone accepted & are there any left since I heard the number is lower this yr.?

Thanks much

Hi, just wanted to know if there has been any news on the 3yr. Army scholarships ?? Was anyone accepted & are there any left since I heard the number is lower this yr.?

Thanks much

Any updates? I was told they were given to everyone on the order of merit list that applied for 4 year scholarships last year. I hope there are still a few remaining

Any updates? I was told they were given to everyone on the order of merit list that applied for 4 year scholarships last year. I hope there are still a few remaining
I was told by AirborneDentist that everyone on OML for 4 yr. will be reconsidered for the 3 yrs. scholarship as well as the new applicants applying. Now, my recruiter told me that the first board for 3 yrs. was this past October, but so far he has not informed me on it. So I am just looking for more info since I worried that I did not get it. Also, someone told me that the number of 3 yrs. scholarships are lower this year.