Ask a first year DPT student anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently 1 week deep into my first semester of PT school so if you guys have any questions in regards to it feel free to ask away and I'll answer whenever I have some free time.

I know when I was pre-PT I loved to read threads like these and see what it was like from an actual students point of view and get my questions/concern(s) addressed.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for doing this!

What is one thing you immediately wish you had done beforehand or prepared for?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for doing this!

What is one thing you immediately wish you had done beforehand or prepared for?

Honestly, nothing. The program moves so fast already and you spend 90% of your time in class/studying that it's best to come in refreshed. You will feel overwhelmed (as I do now) pretty much within the first few days.

If anything, I would just re-familiarize myself with the basics of anatomy when it comes to muscles, bony landmarks, etc. because for most of us it's been a few years since our anatomy class. However, as mentioned above you'll be spending all your time doing this anyways so I wouldn't even worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity what school are you attending

Hey guys,

I'm currently 1 week deep into my first semester of PT school so if you guys have any questions in regards to it feel free to ask away and I'll answer whenever I have some free time.

I know when I was pre-PT I loved to read threads like these and see what it was like from an actual students point of view and get my questions/concern(s) addressed.

I understand that everyone has a different preference , but what were some of study strategies you or others found helpful to remember all the information that was coming at you.

I understand that everyone has a different preference , but what were some of study strategies you or others found helpful to remember all the information that was coming at you.

I'm a first year DPT student as well and some of the study strategies I found very helpful is studying in groups! It's key because it helps you understand things you might've not understood in class as well as share things you have a good grasp on with your classmates.
OneNote and google docs are your best friend. Also there's an app called Complete Anatomy that's extremely helpful when learning all your anatomy.

Here's also a video from Greg Todd where he gives some advice to first year DPT students!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a first year DPT student as well and some of the study strategies I found very helpful is studying in groups! It's key because it helps you understand things you might've not understood in class as well as share things you have a good grasp on with your classmates.
OneNote and google docs are your best friend. Also there's an app called Complete Anatomy that's extremely helpful when learning all your anatomy.

Here's also a video from Greg Todd where he gives some advice to first year DPT students!

Everybody says to study in groups. Yes it is definitely helpful, but do not discount self studying either. What I find helpful is to start off with self studying to build a base of understanding of the material, THEN get together in group to help each other solidify that understanding and build off of it. When everybody in the group starts off not knowing enough of the information, it may steer the group in the wrong direction and also simply not be fruitful in the end.

Reactions: 4 users
What's your favorite dinosaur?

Reactions: 4 users
Everybody says to study in groups. Yes it is definitely helpful, but do not discount self studying either. What I find helpful is to start off with self studying to build a base of understanding of the material, THEN get together in group to help each other solidify that understanding and build off of it. When everybody in the group starts off not knowing enough of the information, it may steer the group in the wrong direction and also simply not be fruitful in the end.
I absolutely agree and second @PathforwardtoDPT

This. This is something I actually found helpful in undergrad as well, but this is what 80% of my class does. I find studying in groups as you mentioned early on in the learning process is almost a waste of time because not everyone is familiar with everything you're talking about.

Study by yourself first, familiarize yourself with the content, then get in groups and go through everything so that everyone understands it correctly. Clarify with your group members on everything. If there are some people in your group that don't understand something, then if you're able to teach them then you understand it.

did you take loans out to live off of? how early should a first year apply for those loans? what kind of loans did you take out? and how did you calculate the amount you took out?

did you take loans out to live off of? how early should a first year apply for those loans? what kind of loans did you take out? and how did you calculate the amount you took out?

Yes I took loans out from the government. Each school (I believe) has an estimated cost of attendance that you can borrow from the government up to that amount. Usually they are pretty generous with that amount but just take what you think you'll need based on that. I would say apply early to avoid any headaches, but you can really do it whenever leading up to your program start.

Members don't see this ad :)
After you submit your FAFSA, you'll be able to take up to $20,500 per year in federal loans. If you need more than that, you can take out a grad plus loan. Personally, I saved up enough money to pay for rent for my first year in school with my mom paying for my groceries. This year, I received $10,000 in institutional grants that will cover my rent. It really depends on the school when it comes to how much you need to take out since fees can very between institutions.

Thanks guys that was very helpful.

After you submit your FAFSA, you'll be able to take up to $20,500 per year in federal loans. If you need
After you submit your FAFSA, you'll be able to take up to $20,500 per year in federal loans. If you need more than that, you can take out a grad plus loan. Personally, I saved up enough money to pay for rent for my first year in school with my mom paying for my groceries. This year, I received $10,000 in institutional grants that will cover my rent. It really depends on the school when it comes to how much you need to take out since fees can very between institutions.

For the direct unsubsidized loan I know you can receive up to $20,500 per year but I saw on a website for repayment you begin paying after your 6 month grace period once you graduate? Is that true or does interest start occurring once you take out the loans?

Interest starts accruing as soon as the loan is disbursed.

Also, I am about to start my first year and I just applied for my grad plus loan 2 weeks ago and I got everything done. So though it was stressful, it is possible to wait till the last minute to get your loans. (I only waited because I was waiting to hear back about a scholarship)

For the direct unsubsidized loan I know you can receive up to $20,500 per year but I saw on a website for repayment you begin paying after your 6 month grace period once you graduate? Is that true or does interest start occurring once you take out the loans?
Both are true. Interest starts when the loan is taken out and repayment begins 6 months after graduation.

Just how much physiology (general, exercise & neuro) & pathophysiology will you be take this year and next and how in depth do you go?

Hello!

I actually have a question regarding interviews. I have been invited to interview at two schools that are my top schools but of course, they happen to fall on the same weekend. What kind of advice do you have for this? Obviously it would be devastating to have to pick one and I would love to make both work but also, I worry that it may reflect poorly on me if I were to tell either school that I am hoping to interview with another school too and would like to try to figure out an alternative or different day. What are your overall thoughts on this situation and what do you think is the best way to approach it??

Thank you sooo much!

Hello!

I actually have a question regarding interviews. I have been invited to interview at two schools that are my top schools but of course, they happen to fall on the same weekend. What kind of advice do you have for this? Obviously it would be devastating to have to pick one and I would love to make both work but also, I worry that it may reflect poorly on me if I were to tell either school that I am hoping to interview with another school too and would like to try to figure out an alternative or different day. What are your overall thoughts on this situation and what do you think is the best way to approach it??

Thank you sooo much!

Try to reschedule one of them

Hello!

Thank you sooo much!

Call both schools and see if either have another date you can interview. I know it’s a little tough to say to a school that you want to look at another one too but they all know you most likely didn’t apply to only one.

Hello..
It's my first time on these forums, and I need some advice.. I hope you are able to help!
I did not study anything related to science for my undergrad nor my post-bacc. I studied hospitality and accounting, but I got a good amount of exposure to PT and OT. It's something I've been wanting to go towards for a while.

My concern is that I need to fulfill prereqs before I can even think about applying.
Do you think that it would be looked down upon if I take courses from a community college to fulfill my prereq requirements?
Or should I be looking into taking classes at an established university?

Also, is your DPT program what you expected it to be? I heard it is challenging. My friend is about to finish out his second year soon and start his full year of rotations.

Hello..
It's my first time on these forums, and I need some advice.. I hope you are able to help!
I did not study anything related to science for my undergrad nor my post-bacc. I studied hospitality and accounting, but I got a good amount of exposure to PT and OT. It's something I've been wanting to go towards for a while.

My concern is that I need to fulfill prereqs before I can even think about applying.
Do you think that it would be looked down upon if I take courses from a community college to fulfill my prereq requirements?

Also, is your DPT program what you expected it to be? I heard it is challenging. My friend is about to finish out his second year soon and start his full year of rotations.

As a student going through the application process right now, have worked along side many DPT/SPTs, and with what I've learned from emails and visiting the schools, many programs use a point system that weighs cumulative GPA, science GPA, essays, GRE, volunteer hours, etc.. Since DPT applications are on the rise, the initial evaluation to get an interview is heavily weighed on those quantitative factors. Then comes the interview, so that they can see how well you would fit in the program and in turn, a way for you to evaluate their program.

The good thing is that IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU DID YOUR UNDERGRAD IN & I'VE TAKEN CLASSES AT A UNIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE, rather it's how well you did in school (cGPA & prGPA) and what you did outside of school. PT as a profession is about service and DPT programs look into factors such as volunteering in the community, observation hours in a variety of PT settings, work, and living situation. Wherever you work or volunteer, show that you want to learn and show that you're personable, if you're the type of person that wants to do this type of work, you wouldn't even have to try hard, it'll show!

I've worked with many PTs where their undergrad were non-health or science related. During one interview, I met a student in the program that did her undergrad in art, another did it in finance. It doesn't matter because you'll learn what you need to know when you're in the program.

All in all, as long as you had good grades during your undergrad, do great with your science/pre-req courses, do good in your GRE, and have shown that you volunteer and are active in the community, you should be well on your way to a DPT program.

Hoped this helped :)

Last edited:
StrengthPT,

Thank you so much for your experience and wisdom!! I really appreciate your words and your help. Although it is not an easy process, it seems a little less daunting having the knowledge that it does not matter where you get your education. I haven't had the chance to go back to school to fulfill the prerequisite requirements, but now I know what I need to focus on from here on out. I am very passionate about becoming PT and enjoy even the thought of helping someone go through his/her personal transformation process. I'll be joining the application process hopefully within the next couple years!

I wish you the best of luck, StrenghPT!!

And again, thank you so much!

As a student going through the application process right now, have worked along side many DPT/SPTs, and with what I've learned from emails and visiting the schools, many programs use a point system that weighs cumulative GPA, science GPA, essays, GRE, volunteer hours, etc.. Since DPT applications are on the rise, the initial evaluation to get an interview is heavily weighed on those quantitative factors. Then comes the interview, so that they can see how well you would fit in the program and in turn, a way for you to evaluate their program.

The good thing is that IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU DID YOUR UNDERGRAD IN & I'VE TAKEN CLASSES AT A UNIVERSITY AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE, rather it's how well you did in school (cGPA & prGPA) and what you did outside of school. PT as a profession is about service and DPT programs look into factors such as volunteering in the community, observation hours in a variety of PT settings, work, and living situation. Wherever you work or volunteer, show that you want to learn and show that you're personable, if you're the type of person that wants to do this type of work, you wouldn't even have to try hard, it'll show!

I've worked with many PTs where their undergrad were non-health or science related. During one interview, I met a student in the program that did her undergrad in art, another did it in finance. It doesn't matter because you'll learn what you need to know when you're in the program.

All in all, as long as you had good grades during your undergrad, do great with your science/pre-req courses, do good in your GRE, and have shown that you volunteer and are active in the community, you should be well on your way to a DPT program.

Hoped this helped :)

Hello..

You for sure don't need to have a science-related bachelors degrees. I currently have 3 classmates that have non-science backgrounds. As for pre-reqs i took 6/10 of my pre-reqs at a community college instead of a university. at the end of the day, all that matters is the grade you got in the class, not where you took them.

as for how challenging the program is, it's as challenging as you expect it to be. you just have to be committed to putting in the work and excepting the fact that you probably won't be getting A's on everything.

Hello..

From my experience, many schools are fine with a few prereq courses taken at a CC, but I would recommend taking a majority of them at a 4-year institution. Out of the 8 schools I applied to last year, 6 of them would only allow 2-3 prereqs to be taken at a CC. One of the schools that "allowed" unlimited CC courses warned me that my application wouldn't receive as many points when being scored by the admissions committee if I had more than 2 CC courses on my transcript. That being said, get in contact with schools you plan on applying to and see what their stipulations are. You'd definitely save a good amount of money by taking prereqs at a CC, but I would just proceed with caution.

Hello..

All of my prereqs except chem 1, bio 2, and a couple of psych courses were taken at a community college. None of the schools I applied to had a limitation on the amount that had to be taken at a 4 year university. Check with the schools you're wanting to apply at, though. Personally, my DPT program is everything I expected it to be. It's challenging, but I'm also thoroughly enjoying school.