As a minority applicant choosing HBCU medical schools vs non HBCU medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackStar90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good morning all! I just have a few questions. As a minority male applicant do you all think there are benefits to choosing to go to a HBCU medical school or a non HBCU medical school particularly those concerned with addressing the health care disparity in underserved areas. Please do share your thoughts. It is my hope that this will be a productive convo and can give me some insight. Thank you!!!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also minority male applicant. I think there is benefits to a going to a HBCU medical school for many reasons

1. You will probably get exposure to medical health issues that impact communities of color ( such as diseases, ailments, access to care, awareness about care)

2. The curriculum and mission statements of the HBCU are tailor made to encourage minorities to work in areas and regions where whites other ORM's are reluctant and shy away to work in. (In underserved communities in low income neighborhoods.)

3.In a classroom and clinical setting you won't have to worry about feeling out of place with respect to your peers, dealing with microaggressions and subtle racism minority students experience at PWI's

4. Opportunity to work with other minorities in schools, health clinics , community centers and social service programs. Minorities can gain valuable experience while helping the community while dispelling negative stereotypes and achieve progression and prosperity for minorities.

Reactions: 14 users
I'm also minority male applicant. I think there is benefits to a going to a HBCU medical school for many reasons

1. You will probably get exposure to medical health issues that impact communities of color ( such as diseases, ailments, access to care, awareness about care)

2. The curriculum and mission statements of the HBCU are tailor made to encourage minorities to work in areas and regions where whites other ORM's are reluctant and shy away to work in. (In underserved communities in low income neighborhoods.)

3.In a classroom and clinical setting you won't have to worry about feeling out of place with respect to your peers, dealing with microaggressions and subtle racism minority students experience at PWI's

4. Opportunity to work with other minorities in schools, health clinics , community centers and social service programs. Minorities can gain valuable experience while helping the community while dispelling negative stereotypes and achieve progression and prosperity for minorities.
Valid points. Micro aggression is real for sure. Something experienced pretty much every day. I know the community in these HBCU'S is like a family (I graduated from an HBCU) and I love it, but sometimes it is not a true representation of the professional world. Although you will absolutely be highly prepared because they push you to be prepared for sure. I guess I'm trying to decide as to if I want to be exposed to those things you mentioned before (which would be highly beneficial experiences in medical school) or go to a medical school were while I may be the minority still seek to gain those same experiences but in a setting more representative of how the medical field will be you know what I mean? (Micro aggression and all) and I know at face value it seems like is it even a question? But I believe there are pros and cons to each side. And while it's not the worst problem to have, it is something to think about.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really just think it's a matter of preference and what you want out of your medical school experience/professional career as a whole. I've been accepted to Howard and am now choosing between them and some non HBCU's and from my experience on the interview day the points you guys have raised are very valid. Their class seems to have that extra sense of unity that I only saw at maybe one of the other schools I went to. They also addressed there and at Morehouse that your curriculum will involve plenty of community outreach as they want to produce doctors that will impact healthcare disparities. Not to say you can't get those experiences elsewhere but they might be more readily available at HBCU's. And then you also have to consider costs. I'm not sure about Meharry but Howard/Morehouse are much more expensive than most state institutions so if that's a factor it's something you'll have to consider. My biggest advice is find what's important to you as an individual and then go after whatever that is to you.

Reactions: 2 users
I really just think it's a matter of preference and what you want out of your medical school experience/professional career as a whole. I've been accepted to Howard and am now choosing between them and some non HBCU's and from my experience on the interview day the points you guys have raised are very valid. Their class seems to have that extra sense of unity that I only saw at maybe one of the other schools I went to. They also addressed there and at Morehouse that your curriculum will involve plenty of community outreach as they want to produce doctors that will impact healthcare disparities. Not to say you can't get those experiences elsewhere but they might be more readily available at HBCU's. And then you also have to consider costs. I'm not sure about Meharry but Howard/Morehouse are much more expensive than most state institutions so if that's a factor it's something you'll have to consider. My biggest advice is find what's important to you as an individual and then go after whatever that is to you.
Good advice! I appreciate the insight. I personally feel like I'm in so much debt costs don't matter to me I'll pay it back. I just want a quality education and to grow as a man and future physician. I know HBCU'S and other schools will do that for sure.

So what other schools are u accepted into and what factors are you personally considering?

I'm in the same boat. I honestly am leaning more towards an HBCU. I feel bad though bc the dean at the PWI I've been accepted to personally extended the invitation and really pushed for me to admitted :/

I'm in the same boat. I honestly am leaning more towards an HBCU. I feel bad though bc the dean at the PWI I've been accepted to personally extended the invitation and really pushed for me to admitted :/
Haha that's a good position to be in. You mind sharing what all schools you have been accepted into?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile app

Haha that's a good position to be in. You mind sharing what all schools you have been accepted into?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using SDN mobile app

So far just the Medical College of Georgia. My interviewer at Meharry dropped very strong hints about me being there in the fall so I'll update you when I find out that on Friday. I'm also interviewing at Morehouse on Friday so there's that hopefully that -> acceptance.

Reactions: 5 users
Good deal!! That's a blessing! Do you mind sharing your stats? Feel free to PM me.

Nothing spectacular. I'm surprised I got as many interviews as I did and I'm still in shock that I even got in anywhere lol
sGPA: 3.56 cGPA:3.61
MCAT: 497 124/125/124/124
Shadowing: 120 hours
Clinical Volunteering: 250-ish
Nonclinical volunteering: 600-ish

Reactions: 7 users
Nothing spectacular. I'm surprised I got as many interviews as I did and I'm still in shock that I even got in anywhere lol
No those are great stats! Haha forreal.

Members don't see this ad :)

MCAT studying is so discouraging to me right now. You give me hope. My practice score was around there. SDN will have you thinking you have to get 555 to be accepted.

Reactions: 7 users
MCAT studying is so discouraging to me right now. You give me hope. My practice score was around there. SDN will have you thinking you have to get 555 to be accepted.

I got into multiple schools with a 502; but also be mindful that you need to have other strengths in your app to justify your MCAT.

Valid points. Micro aggression is real for sure. Something experienced pretty much every day. I know the community in these HBCU'S is like a family (I graduated from an HBCU) and I love it, but sometimes it is not a true representation of the professional world. Although you will absolutely be highly prepared because they push you to be prepared for sure. I guess I'm trying to decide as to if I want to be exposed to those things you mentioned before (which would be highly beneficial experiences in medical school) or go to a medical school were while I may be the minority still seek to gain those same experiences but in a setting more representative of how the medical field will be you know what I mean? (Micro aggression and all) and I know at face value it seems like is it even a question? But I believe there are pros and cons to each side. And while it's not the worst problem to have, it is something to think about.

To both of the quotes above, I purposely chose to go to a PWI. It really just depends on what you value more. I was fortunate enough to have did undegrad at an HBCU so I didn't necessarily long for a tight-knit type institution in terms of professional school; I wanted to re-immerse myself into the general population so that it wasn't a complete culture-shock when I got back into the real world and started residency.

Other people who attended an HBCU for undergrad highly value that tight-knit community so they purposely choose to attend an HBCU for professional school. And still there are others who never had an HBCU experience and so they go to there for medschool.

It really just comes down to balancing your challenges versus necessary level of comfort. Medschool is already difficult so if you feel that battling race at the same time might be too much then go ahead for the HBCU, otherwise PWI is your option. I won't lie and say it's a walk in the park (some schools are worse than others) but at the same time, it's strengthening me for future encounters when I hit the workforce.

Finally in terms of mission, it's true that most HBCU's do want you go back and serve the underserved but you can also find that same mission at select PWIs. These institutions typically tend to be ones in major cities that aren't in the top 15-20 (top 15-20 tend to be more research heavy).

Weigh your personal preferences and do what you think will benefit you in the long run; You'll get an excellent medical education no matter where you go.

Reactions: 15 users
I got into multiple schools with a 502; but also be mindful that you need to have other strengths in your app to justify your MCAT.

To both of the quotes above, I purposely chose to go to a PWI. It really just depends on what you value more. I was fortunate enough to have did undegrad at an HBCU so I didn't necessarily long for a tight-knit type institution in terms of professional school; I wanted to re-immerse myself into the general population so that it wasn't a complete culture-shock when I got back into the real world and started residency.

Other people who attended an HBCU for undergrad highly value that tight-knit community so they purposely choose to attend an HBCU for professional school. And still there are others who never had an HBCU experience and so they go to there for medschool.

It really just comes down to balancing your challenges versus necessary level of comfort. Medschool is already difficult so if you feel that battling race at the same time might be too much then go ahead for the HBCU, otherwise PWI is your option. I won't lie and say it's a walk in the park (some schools are worse than others) but at the same time, it's strengthening me for future encounters when I hit the workforce.

Finally in terms of mission, it's true that most HBCU's do want you go back and serve the underserved but you can also find that same mission at select PWIs. These institutions typically tend to be ones in major cities that aren't in the top 15-20 (top 15-20 tend to be more research heavy).

Weigh your personal preferences and do what you think will benefit you in the long run; You'll get an excellent medical education no matter where you go.
Great advice! I really appreciate it!

Do u mind me asking which medical school u chose and which HBCU'S u declined?

Do u mind me asking which medical school u chose and which HBCU'S u declined?

Sure, since it's all over the boards anyway lol. I declined MH and Howard. Chose UMiami.

Reactions: 2 users
Went to an HBCU for undergrad and UAB for medical school and NYU for residency. I found the experience to broaden my horizon and I became well rounded so I could serve all my patient. There are plenty of NMA/SNMA for mentorship opportunities at a majority institution. But all things being equal(ranking, research and match opportunities) pick the place you will most comfortable so you can set yourself up for success

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to Medical College of Georgia and Meharry. I've gone to predominately white/asian schools my entire life and I really wanted to go to a majority black school for med school but at the end of the day, a non HBCU was the better option for me in terms of resources and finances.

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted to Medical College of Georgia and Meharry. I've gone to predominately white/asian schools my entire life and I really wanted to go to a majority black school for med school but at the end of the day, a non HBCU was the better option for me in terms of resources and finances.
Yeah cost of attendance is definitely important.

Last edited:
What do you mean resource wise? Chances for research?

Definitely in terms of research as well as facilities and faculty with clout. I'm not sure if I want to go into primary care and I know my school would give me a chance at a variety of other specialties. Also non mandatory/recorded lectures are always a win

Definitely in terms of research as well as facilities and faculty with clout. I'm not sure if I want to go into primary care and I know my school would give me a chance at a variety of other specialties. Also non mandatory/recorded lectures are always a win

Haha understood. Congrats !!!!

Good morning all! I just have a few questions. As a minority male applicant do you all think there are benefits to choosing to go to a HBCU medical school or a non HBCU medical school particularly those concerned with addressing the health care disparity in underserved areas. Please do share your thoughts. It is my hope that this will be a productive convo and can give me some insight. Thank you!!!

You have to know who you are and what you need. I went to an all black elementary school, and almost all black high school, and then an HBCU college. It was at the HBCU college I truly gained my "family feel" and received so much support. I almost went to Howard or Meharry for med school, but I realized that I needed to have a different experience and prove that I could compete in a more racially diverse environment. In medical school, I definitely got that and I appreciated it as I already received the foundational confidence from my HBCU college. Some people don't need an HBCU to get that foundation, while others do. If you are smart you will do well where ever you go. But even at a school where you are the minority, you will likely still gravitate towards the students that look like you and the minority organizations at those schools. This is purely my opinion, but I think its a red flag to go to a non-HBCU medical school that has a dying or anemic SNMA or office of diversity. Its always good to have someone there that you know is looking out for your welfare.

Reactions: 11 users
You have to know who you are and what you need. I went to an all black elementary school, and almost all black high school, and then an HBCU college. It was at the HBCU college I truly gained my "family feel" and received so much support. I almost went to Howard or Meharry for med school, but I realized that I needed to have a different experience and prove that I could compete in a more racially diverse environment. In medical school, I definitely got that and I appreciated it as I already received the foundational confidence from my HBCU college. Some people don't need an HBCU to get that foundation, while others do. If you are smart you will do well where ever you go. But even at a school where you are the minority, you will likely still gravitate towards the students that look like you and the minority organizations at those schools. This is purely my opinion, but I think its a red flag to go to a non-HBCU medical school that has a dying or anemic SNMA or office of diversity. Its always good to have someone there that you know is looking out for your welfare.
Thank you for the advice. What medical school did you go to?

Where did you apply? We have almost identical stats lol

Where did you apply? We have almost identical stats lol
Hey Twin!!!
I sent my primary to like 18 schools but I only finished the secondaries for like 8 >_<

George Washington, Did not complete

Georgetown University School of Medicine, did not complete

Howard, no response

Indiana U, II

John's Hopkins, did not complete

Medical College of Ga, II, accepted

Meharry, II, WL

Mercer, II, rejected

Morehouse, II, WL

New York Medical College, did not sit for caspr test/incomplete secondary

SUNY Downstate, rejected no II

UCLA/Drew, rejected no secondary

University of Arizona, did not complete

University of Florida, rejected no secondary

University of Maryland- did not complete

VCU, rejected no secondary

Wake Forest, rejected no II

Hey Twin!!!
I sent my primary to like 18 schools but I only finished the secondaries for like 8 >_<

George Washington, Did not complete

Georgetown University School of Medicine, did not complete

Howard, no response

Indiana U, II

John's Hopkins, did not complete

Medical College of Ga, II, accepted

Meharry, II, WL

Mercer, II, rejected

Morehouse, II, WL

New York Medical College, did not sit for caspr test/incomplete secondary

SUNY Downstate, rejected no II

UCLA/Drew, rejected no secondary

University of Arizona, did not complete

University of Florida, rejected no secondary

University of Maryland- did not complete

VCU, rejected no secondary

Wake Forest, rejected no II
This is encouraging. What state are you from? I'm an Illinois resident and I'm guessing you live in Maryland somewhere or east coast.

I'm optimistic about Indiana. I'm applying there and my sister actually graduated from there. She's close friends with someone on the admission committee. Whenever they interview someone, they tell my sisters story lol

This is encouraging. What state are you from? I'm an Illinois resident and I'm guessing you live in Maryland somewhere or east coast.

I'm optimistic about Indiana. I'm applying there and my sister actually graduated from there. She's close friends with someone on the admission committee. Whenever they interview someone, they tell my sisters story lol
Thank you! I live in Georgia, and that where I'll be staying! Indiana was a rough interview and it was so cold.

I know this is old, but I really appreciate it. It sums up everything that I try to explain to people about HBCUs/minority-serving institutions.