Residency, Fellowship, and Medical Student Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARRO Board

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We would like to announce the debut of a bulletin board for the posting of unexpected radiation oncology residency openings. Residency positions that become available at unusual or unexpected times can be listed on this forum, at the discretion of program directors. We hope that this site will be a useful resource for current radiation oncology residents seeking transfer, as well as medical students and residents looking to enter radiation oncology. This site can be accessed through a link on the ARRO website or directly at http://www.arro.org/residents/programopenings/index.htm. As always, please contact us with any questions or comments.
Sincerely,
The ARRO Executive Board

Members don't see this ad.

For the record - ARRO is fully aware of the deficiencies of the website. It is a longstanding problem. ASTRO controls the website, so you have to go through multiple people outside ARRO to get anything changed/updated.

However, ASTRO has promised us a new site this year (along with their own upgrade) that we will have more direct control over. Hopefully, this change will work out.

But regarding the job postings, that particular page can be updated very easily as it will be linked to the ASTRO job placement center.

Casey

I wonder if people are more likely to read this website than check the ARRO website ... this was my source (other than word of mouf') for openings.

S

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Maryland Radiation Oncology Residency Program has an immediate opening for one residency position (PGY-2 preferred but PGY-3 to PGY-4 will be considered) beginning July 1, 2011.

Interested applicants should email Ms. Tina Begay at [email protected] for further details.

Deadline for all applications is Friday, November 12, 2010.

Selected applicants will be invited for personal interviews which offer an opportunity to tour our facilities and meet with our faculty and current residents.

If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Tina Begay at (410) 328-1677.

The Department of Radiation Oncology at Henry Ford Hospital has one position available to a candidate seeking to start their PGY2 year in July 2011. We may consider a PGY3 or PGY4 candidate. Interested candidates who are US citizens, permanent residents or visa holders should send their:
  1. Curriculum vitae
  2. Medical school transcripts
  3. At least two letters of recommendation
  4. USMLE step 1, 2 and 3 (if available) scores
  5. Personal statement
These items should be submitted no later than January 14, 2011, to our program coordinator, Lorrie Cook, [email protected], phone: 313-916-1015, fax: 313-916-3264. Additional program information can be found at http://henryford.com/body_program.cfm?id=49966.

Loyola University Chicago has an opening for one resident position starting July 1, 2012. The position is open to PGY 3, 4 and 5 residents, and consideration will be given to PGY 2 residents.

Interested applicants should send a CV and interest statement to Dr. Bahman Emami at [email protected].

Yes, this post is real. It has been verified by the ARRO board. Loyola in Chicago has one position open as stated above.

why doesnt the new arro site have a place for open positions anymore? or is it that i cant find it?

Members don't see this ad :)
why doesnt the new arro site have a place for open positions anymore? or is it that i cant find it?
The ARRO website was recently redone along with the ASTRO website. We are working to restart the ARRO Forums which previously had a bulletin board for open residency positions.

i hope it gets done soon. but in the meantime are there any other sites dedicated for radonc openings?
and anyone know if this position is still open at loyola? have they given out interviews?

Last edited:
There is an open Radiation Oncology resident position at Loyola University Chicago for the 2012-2013 academic year. Incoming PGY2-4s welcome to apply. Contact Dr. Emami at [email protected] with CV and interest statement.

There is an open Radiation Oncology resident position at Loyola University Chicago for the 2012-2013 academic year. Incoming PGY2-4s welcome to apply. Contact Dr. Emami at [email protected] with CV and interest statement.

I don't think this is open anymore. I had a friend send their app materials and they were told that the position is filled.

Wondering if any one knows of any last minute openings, or off cycle spots!

thanks in advance

Perhaps not. Loyola has re-posted their open residency slot on the ASTRO job center today. Link is here.

That's very interesting Gfunk. My friend said the coordinator with whom he spoke with seemed completely unaware of the position, SDN, or that they were advertising anything, and he did not get a response to the email listed on the opening. I find it odd that he'd be told that it was filled if it was not too no?

That's very interesting Gfunk. My friend said the coordinator with whom he spoke with seemed completely unaware of the position, SDN, or that they were advertising anything, and he did not get a response to the email listed on the opening. I find it odd that he'd be told that it was filled if it was not too no?

The contact person in Dr. Emami (the Chair). Perhaps the program coordinator is out of the loop?

The contact person in Dr. Emami (the Chair). Perhaps the program coordinator is out of the loop?

Perhaps, who knows. According to my buddy though, he says he wrote a couple of times but Dr. Emami never responded either. Weird. :rolleyes: I find it interesting that they are posting the position again but not responding to those interested.

Maybe it's a phantom position where it's advertised but they know who they want.

Maybe it's a phantom position where it's advertised but they know who they want.

It is possible, but why would they keep re-posting it then and not respond to applicants and say hey sorry your application is not acceptable or something? Seems odd that they would tell you hey it's filled or not answer at all. It would seem that if they have someone in mind, they would just not post it period.

Do any current Loyola folks know the exact situation??
Would appreciate any info

I applied to Loyola for a job that they posted when I was a resident (and I actually knew some of their faculty). They didn't have the decency to respond and say, "Hey buddy, you're not what we're looking for." I'm not surprised they are doing a similar thing for this position.

I get emails from random residents and people looking for a job without even posting an ad, and it takes literally 3 seconds to say, "I'm not sure if we're hiring, but I've cc'd my managing partner and if there is an opening you'd be a good fit for, we'll be in touch."

-S

I applied to Loyola for a job that they posted when I was a resident (and I actually knew some of their faculty). They didn't have the decency to respond and say, "Hey buddy, you're not what we're looking for." I'm not surprised they are doing a similar thing for this position.

I get emails from random residents and people looking for a job without even posting an ad, and it takes literally 3 seconds to say, "I'm not sure if we're hiring, but I've cc'd my managing partner and if there is an opening you'd be a good fit for, we'll be in touch."

-S

This is what I was saying. It's not professional to ignore emails from interested parties, particularly when they keep re-posting the position as available. I agree with you that it takes a minimal amount of time to say sorry, but you don't fit our needs, or your qualifications are not what we are looking for, etc. It takes soo little time to do that and at least the applicant gets closure. It's even worse to tell an applicant that it has been filled, when it hasn't.

Not to continue bashing on Loyola, but dont know of many other places where one Program coordinator is taking care of 4 programs (i.e, rad onc, psych, urology, ophtho).
Just say yes or no to the emails, calls, and I will move on :(

Not to continue bashing on Loyola, but dont know of many other places where one Program coordinator is taking care of 4 programs (i.e, rad onc, psych, urology, ophtho).
Just say yes or no to the emails, calls, and I will move on :(

Not sure what this means. I doubt that the coordinator takes care of 4 depts.

If u call her, that is what her voicemail says, so I doubt that she is making it up.

If u call her, that is what her voicemail says, so I doubt that she is making it up.

Ok, I have to interject in this conversation. I graduated from Loyola a year ago and have been keeping up with all that is goings on there to the best of my ability. It is indeed a time of transition for the department.

First, all residency coordinators at LUMC take care of multiple departments. It does indeed suck and leads to situations like unreturned phone calls. Residents don't actually have much interaction with these coordinators. Department administrative assistants help us with the vast majority of our secretarial issues. That being said, more support is needed for residents.

Second, the residency program director recently left to do lung at Penn. Another attending just left for UT southwestern. Thus, the department is down to 4 attendings. Dr. Emami has stepped in to take on more patients and fill the role of PD until new staff starts. Anyone know a near-retirement chair who would also take on those duties and do it well?

And yes, they are hiring a new resident. A first year is leaving to go to a program closer to home.

I appreciate my time at Loyola and the people I worked with. I believe I received very solid training, and I am happy with where I ended up job wise. That being said, the department is a bit of a mess right now. I think it will be significantly better in a year - but it will be painful getting there.

Ok, I have to interject in this conversation. I graduated from Loyola a year ago and have been keeping up with all that is goings on there to the best of my ability. It is indeed a time of transition for the department.

First, all residency coordinators at LUMC take care of multiple departments. It does indeed suck and leads to situations like unreturned phone calls. Residents don't actually have much interaction with these coordinators. Department administrative assistants help us with the vast majority of our secretarial issues. That being said, more support is needed for residents.

Second, the residency program director recently left to do lung at Penn. Another attending just left for UT southwestern. Thus, the department is down to 4 attendings. Dr. Emami has stepped in to take on more patients and fill the role of PD until new staff starts. Anyone know a near-retirement chair who would also take on those duties and do it well?

And yes, they are hiring a new resident. A first year is leaving to go to a program closer to home.

I appreciate my time at Loyola and the people I worked with. I believe I received very solid training, and I am happy with where I ended up job wise. That being said, the department is a bit of a mess right now. I think it will be significantly better in a year - but it will be painful getting there.

I think your post clarifies some things for people wondering so thanks for that. I think the source of frustration is that some people might be really interested in the position that they've posted a number of times and it's weird to keep wondering, why do they keep reposting the position, but don't reply to emails from those who are applying? It may be a great institution/program to train at, I don't think anyone is trying to say that Loyola's training is not good. There is just a disconnect from the posting to the applications I guess and that's where people wonder. With that said, if you or someone else can post the contact info to apply for the position it may help those looking for spots.

I am in no way trying to excuse the lack of returned phone calls and emails. I think the situation is being handled very poorly from an administrative perspective. I hope they get their act together soon - there are many good residents there that would benefit from finding the right applicant.

But if I had to wager a guess, I would bet money there is a pile of CV's on the chairman's desk that have not been looked at yet. Re: reposting, like many post-residency jobs, that is often meaningless - someone in HR without any knowledge just presses a "repost" button.

I am in no way trying to excuse the lack of returned phone calls and emails. I think the situation is being handled very poorly from an administrative perspective. I hope they get their act together soon - there are many good residents there that would benefit from finding the right applicant.

But if I had to wager a guess, I would bet money there is a pile of CV's on the chairman's desk that have not been looked at yet. Re: reposting, like many post-residency jobs, that is often meaningless - someone in HR without any knowledge just presses a "repost" button.

While that is very much possible, it's frustrating for applicants and I bet most feel like they are being snubbed. Like someone said, it takes 10 seconds to say hey sorry you are not what we are looking for if they don't want a certain applicant. Just my 2 cents.

We are pleased to provide an exciting update regarding the radiation oncology residency training program at UT Southwestern Medical Center- we were recently granted an increase in the number of our residency training positions by the ACGME. Specifically, we are interested in adding resident(s) to the PGY-2 year starting July 2013. If you are a current PGY-1 intern who did not match to a residency training program, or otherwise have completed an internship and would be eligible to start a PGY-2 position in radiation oncology in July 2013, please contact us if you are interested in being considered for an interview.

Transfer applications to the current PGY-2/upcoming PGY-3 year can also be considered.

Please contact our program coordinator- Susan Brown: [email protected]

UT Southwestern Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

Jeff Meyer, MD, Program Director

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am writing to let you all know about a new stereotactic radiosurgery fellowship at Yale, beginning July 1, 2012. Details are also on the ASTRO job website, but here it is cut and pasted. If you have any questions, please contact me - j a m es.b.yu -at - yale dot e d u . I will be at ASTRO so if you'd like to meet in person to talk about the program, please feel free to contact me and we can arrange a meeting. The program will have plenty of opportunities for clinical research and training in intracranial, spine, liver, and lung radiosurgery. We will also pay for you to go to a gamma knife training program and become gamma knife certified.

Thanks!
James Yu MD
Assistant Professor, Yale Therapeutic Radiology

***********************************************************************************************
***********************************************************************************************
The Yale Department of Therapeutic Radiology (Radiation Oncology) is seeking candidates for a 12 month fellowship in stereotactic radiosurgery. Eligible candidates are board eligible or early career board certified radiation oncologists who will have completed an ACGME accredited radiation oncology residency prior to July 1, 2013. Residents graduating in 2013 are welcome to apply.

This fellowship, which will occur at Smilow Cancer Hospital at Yale New Haven, an NCI designated comprehensive cancer center, will train the candidate in a world class multidisciplinary setting. Training includes spine, liver, lung, and CNS radiosurgery. Equipment includes the Novalis TX radiosurgical platform and the Gamma Knife Perfexion. Candidates will have an opportunity for research and clinical training. Enrollment in a Gamma Knife training course and certification will also be provided.

About Yale Cancer Center: Yale Cancer Center is southern New England's only cancer center designated as a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute- and one of only 41 in the nation. The significance of this designation has profound implications for those who choose Yale as the place where they will be cared for and receive treatment for their cancer.

About Yale Therapeutic Radiology: In 1958, the Yale University School of Medicine committed itself to a long-range program in support of research and training in clinical radiation therapy and radiobiology with the construction of the Robert E. Hunter Radiation Therapy Center. In 1962, Yale was awarded one of the original NIH Program Project Grants in Radiation Therapy and Radiobiology. This program provided funds for the support of a nucleus of physicians with a focused interest in the therapeutic application of radiation and related basic research. A variety of sources provide millions of dollars annually for support of research activities within the department. A separate training program in therapeutic radiology was established in 1961, and since the original NIH Program Project Grant in the early 1960s, the department has developed and expanded to provide a multitude of scientific and translational research opportunities.

In 1972, Therapeutic Radiology became an independent department at Yale and was organized into three major divisions: Radiation Therapy, Radiobiology and Radiological Physics. Currently, there are 20 University radiation oncology attending physician faculty who provide specialized clinical service, multidisciplinary care, education for housestaff/students, and pursue clinical and basic research endeavors.

Has interview invites been sent out for the position starting in July 2013 at UTSW yet? Thanks!

Last edited:
Does anybody know how many candidates they are planning to interview for the UT Southwestern PGY-2 position? Also, is it just one spot or multiple, since I think it says spot(s).

The ABS is now accepting applications for the 2013 brachytherapy scholarships. There are HDR and LDR scholarships available for residents and young attendings (i.e. </= 2 years out from training). You can only apply for one... so choose wisely. :D

http://americanbrachytherapy.org/fellowship/index.cfm

P.S. What is the current thought on using emoticons? Too junior high?

The spot at the University of Kansas has been filled.

Last edited:
The University of Rochester's Radiation Oncology residency program was recently approved to increase its size from 6 to 8 residents. In our application to increase the number of our residency spots, we described our increase in patient numbers we have had over the past few years as well as our commitment to education of our current residents.

Currently we are recruiting additional resident(s) outside of the match, to start July 1, 2013, and plan to recruit future residents within the match.

The University of Rochester's main Radiation Oncology site is at Strong Memorial Hospital within the James P. Wilmot Cancer Center. We moved into our current site on the ground floor of the Cancer Center in 2008. In 2012, the Cancer Center was expanded to include inpatient wards on the 6th and 7th floors. The first floor of the Cancer Centers houses the multidisciplinary clinics and the other floors house research labs and offices. Adjacent to the Cancer Center is the construction site for the new Golisano Children's Hospital, which will be a state of the art pediatric inpatient and outpatient facility.

Treatment machines at Strong Memorial Hospital include Tomotherapy, Novalis, Trilogy, 2 other Varian LINACS, and 2 unused vaults allowing for future expansion. Highland Hospital, located 1.5 miles from Strong Memorial Hospital, is another University of Rochester affiliated hospital where our residents rotate. Our high dose rate brachytherapy machine is located there.

Residents gain expertise in IMRT, IGRT, total body and total marrow irradiation, SRS, SBRT/SABR, radioembolization (Y-90), unsealed sources, HDR brachytherapy, interstitial brahytherapy, and pediatric oncology. Generally, residents cover 1 attending for a block of 2-3 months. A resident may cover 2 attendings if both have a 20-50% clinical service (i.e. other time committed to funded research or coverage of satellite offices). Our Department employs 4 physician assistants (one at Highland Hospital) who provide coverage of services without a resident as well as cross-coverage and triage services.

Didactic lectures are provided for radiation biology, physics, dosimetry and clinical radiation oncology. Other educational opportunities include journal clubs, cancer survivorship workshops, chart rounds and weekly, resident run, case-based presentations.

Residents receive at least 6 months of elective time, all of which can be used for research. Some residents opt to rotate at one of our 3 private practice satellites (residents are not required to rotate at these satellites).

The University of Rochester's Chair is Dr. Yuhchyau Chen, MD PhD. Her clinical interests include thoracic and head and neck malignancies. Her research interests include cytokine analyses to predict radiation toxicity and bone marrow genotoxicity; she currently is funded by a Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) contract to develop drugs to treat radiation-induced bone marrow injury.

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=3389

Dr. Louis Constine, MD, our Vice Chair, is an internationally recognized leader in pediatric oncology, sarcoma and hematologic malignancies, as well as late effects of cancer treatment. He holds several leadership positions in national and international societies. He is involved in a multitude of clinical research projects.

In addition to research opportunities with the clinical faculty, residents can participate in translational and basic science research with other prominent faculty. Jacqueline Williams, PhD, who is President of the Radiation Research Society, currently heads the Center for Medical Countermeasures against Radiation &#8211; a multi-project U-19 grant to study radiation injury. (http://radoncu19.urmc.rochester.edu/)

Dr. Lois Travis, MD ScD heads the Cancer Survivorship research division. She, along with colleagues in the NCI-funded Community Clinical Oncology Program (http://urcc-ccop.com/ccop/) have office space in University of Rochester's Clinical & Translational Science Institute (http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/ctsi/), one of ~10 NCI funded Translational Institutes.

Several faculty in other departments (such as Environmental Medicine, Immunology, Biochemistry and Biophysics) also have research interests in radiation biology.

We are now accepting applications for a resident to start July 1, 2013 (outside of the match).

Requirements include the following:
- Updated curriculum vitae
- 3 letters of reference
- Medical school transcript and Dean's letter
- USMLE Transcript (Steps 1 and 2 are required)
- Personal statement
- Completion of an ACGME approved internship
- No contractual obligations to another program, or applicant's current Program Director's and Dean for Graduate Medical Education's approval to accept a position at Rochester

Interested applicants are asked to email Susan Fritsch, our program coordinator. Her contact information can be found at:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/educa...applicant-information/contact-information.cfm

Michael T. Milano, MD PhD
Associate Professor
Residency Program Director

6/28/13 EDIT: Both positions have been filled.

Last edited:
Got an email that Miami has added some new spots and they would like to spread the word. In the email it said "For those that matched, congratulations, if you would kindly spread the word that we are currently recruiting residents for 2013 and 2014, we would greatly appreciate it." Contact info for the residency coordinator is [email protected]

Got an email that Miami has added some new spots and they would like to spread the word. In the email it said "For those that matched, congratulations, if you would kindly spread the word that we are currently recruiting residents for 2013 and 2014, we would greatly appreciate it." Contact info for the residency coordinator is [email protected]

This is for a PGY-2 position

Mayo Clinic in Arizona is offering a PGY-2 Radiation Oncology Residency position starting in July 2014. This ACGME-accredited program offers individualized training that prepares you for a career in private practice or academic medicine.
During the four years of the radiation oncology residency training, you will be responsible for most patient care, including initial evaluations, management decisions, treatment delivery and follow-up. With each year of training a resident is expected to have increasing responsibility and demonstrate increasing ability to work independently with a goal of competency in medical knowledge, patient care, system based practice, interpersonal and communication skills, professionalism, and practice-based learning and improvement.
After completion of the Radiation Oncology Residency, you will be eligible to take the board certification examination offered by the American Board of Radiology.
The Radiation Oncology Residency will have it's first PGY-2 resident starting in July 2014. It is anticipated that one resident will complete training in this program annually.
You can enter the Radiation Oncology Residency Program in Arizona after successful completion of one or more years of postgraduate training in a clinical medical field
To obtain an application, please contact:
Silvana D'Alessandro
Program Coordinator, Radiation Oncology Residency
[email protected]

Deadline is July 31, 2013

Last edited: