Army periodic health assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnt0711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the Army just made the policy to have all HPSP students complete the PHA and some other medical screenings once a year. I have one scheduled in about a month and I'm curious to know how it works and what they do with the results. The people on the phone told me it's basically just repeating everything we did at meps plus some additional vaccinations and tests. My main concern is, if they happens to find something in one of their tests (for example, high cholesterol, hpv + pap test, anemia, etc), what would happen to the HPSP student? Would there be a possibility of getting cut from the program, since we're not really active duty yet? I'm pretty sure I'm totally healthy and nothing major will come up, but I had such a hard time getting through meps that anything Army medical related makes me a little nervous.
Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If there are any changes to your health that would render you unfit for duty, then yes, your scholarship can be terminated. This is a Reserve Army requirement not a HPSP requirement. Surprisingly, it's one that I tend to agree with. If someone is unfit, and we pay for their education with no benefit of an Army dentist at the end, we would not be good stewards of the texpayer's money.

If the scholarship was terminated like this, how would that work with repayment/contractual obligations? Interesting situation.

It depends. If the disqualifing condition will still allow you to utilize the degree just not in the Army, like some sort of strange skin disease that precludes you from being deployed to the sandboc or jungle. The Army would most likely discharge you and then recoup the money spent plus interest. Each case is looked at based on it's own merit, but remember, the Army has been doing this for a long time. They pretty much can spot someone trying to get over right away.