Army medicine ... before I sign my soul away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen tons of complaining about navy and air force medicine, but very little regarding army medicine. Is it any better, or is nobody foolish enough to join the army? :D

Members don't see this ad.

JKDMed said:
I've seen tons of complaining about navy and air force medicine, but very little regarding army medicine. Is it any better, or is nobody foolish enough to join the army? :D

Why are you wanting to obligate yourself to anything at this point? Wouldn't you have more flexibility if you didn't?

island doc said:
Why are you wanting to obligate yourself to anything at this point? Wouldn't you have more flexibility if you didn't?

Maybe, but it's something I'm going to do anyways, so I might as well take the option with the most financial benefit (HPSP). It's not like the military can force me into a residency I don't want. Only apply to those I want in the military and civilian. If I match neither, GMO until my time is out and go my separate way.

Besides, I am one of the few who really can't afford med school without it.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
Maybe, but it's something I'm going to do anyways, so I might as well take the option with the most financial benefit (HPSP). It's not like the military can force me into a residency I don't want. Only apply to those I want in the military and civilian. If I match neither, GMO until my time is out and go my separate way.

Besides, I am one of the few who really can't afford med school without it.

prayers and best wishes for you on your military career. It really is a admirable vocation, and I hope it is one that you enjoy. Realize that you lose something precious when you give up your freedom, and many docs have served their country well but separated because of the poor state of affairs in much of mil med currently. Hopefully things will be better by the time you reach the front line, or maybe you will get a rare good functioning clinic and even more rare, an excellent commander.

USAFdoc said:
prayers and best wishes for you on your military career. It really is a admirable vocation, and I hope it is one that you enjoy. Realize that you lose something precious when you give up your freedom, and many docs have served their country well but separated because of the poor state of affairs in much of mil med currently. Hopefully things will be better by the time you reach the front line, or maybe you will get a rare good functioning clinic and even more rare, an excellent commander.

Luckily this forum has jaded me enough, so I'm not expecting much. :D

I'm not really sure why I want to do it, it's just something I have always felt compelled to do. The events of the past five years and the enlisted dudes I met at MEPS have only strengthened this desire. My brother in law is in Iraq right now, so I've heard quite a bit of what it's like.

Personally, I would feel very fortunate (and perhaps somewhat guilty) calling myself a veteran knowing that my biggest worry was what my incompetant commander would do or how understaffed my clinic would be; I'm not out there dodging bullets with the grunts.

Regardless of how much we all may bitch about having served, I bet all of us will still stand proud on veteran's day, or secretly enjoy the rare praise we'll get for having served. When I'm an old man, I'll still be proud to say I put up with all the military's crap than to say I never served.

Maybe I've seen too many Army commercials.

JKDMed said:
Luckily this forum has jaded me enough, so I'm not expecting much. :D

I'm not really sure why I want to do it, it's just something I have always felt compelled to do. The events of the past five years and the enlisted dudes I met at MEPS have only strengthened this desire. My brother in law is in Iraq right now, so I've heard quite a bit of what it's like.

Personally, I would feel very fortunate (and perhaps somewhat guilty) calling myself a veteran knowing that my biggest worry was what my incompetant commander would do or how understaffed my clinic would be; I'm not out there dodging bullets with the grunts.

Regardless of how much we all may bitch about having served, I bet all of us will still stand proud on veteran's day, or secretly enjoy the rare praise we'll get for having served. When I'm an old man, I'll still be proud to say I put up with all the military's crap than to say I never served.

Maybe I've seen too many Army commercials.

in comparing my life in a USAF family practice clinic to that of our soldiers in IRAQ; there is NO GOOD COMPARISON. I was not placed in harms way, there were no suicide bombers and despite the long hours, I was still seeing my kids just about everyday.

That being said; there was still NO GOOD EXCUSE for what was going on inside our clinic and how it was affecting the patient care and staff. All the more frustrating (for those who cared) was that so much of the problems were easily fixable and would be a COST SAVINGS if only we had the authority to make decisions and fix things. In the end, nearly 100% of staff (civilians and military alike) quit, separated, etc.

It was no IRAQ, but it was nowhere near what it should be either.