ARMY HPSP: Do you have the opportunity to say "NO" after MEPS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brewdog11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm writing to see if the HPSP Scholarship can still be declined after going through MEPS. AFAIK, I haven't signed anything committing myself to it (the last page of the 601-37.22 form was the latest document I signed).

I know enlisted Soldiers sign their contracts while at MEPS, so I didn't know if I would be committed to the HPSP Scholarship after successfully passing. I know that commissioning comes at a later date. Is that voluntary?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm writing to see if the HPSP Scholarship can still be declined after going through MEPS. AFAIK, I haven't signed anything committing myself to it (the last page of the 601-37.22 form was the latest document I signed).

I know enlisted Soldiers sign their contracts while at MEPS, so I didn't know if I would be committed to the HPSP Scholarship after successfully passing. I know that commissioning comes at a later date. Is that voluntary?
Until you sign, no. I don't know if you will be offered papers to sign at MEPS though.

If you are still concerned....what are your concerns?

rumor is until you've accepted money you can still get out. once they've paid your school you're chained.

--your friendly neighborhood post scholarship/pre medschool you are like schroedinger's cat caveman

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Until you sign, no. I don't know if you will be offered papers to sign at MEPS though.

If you are still concerned....what are your concerns?

Honestly, I'm starting to get some cold feet. I don't know what my life will be like four years down the road, so committing myself to something major makes me nervous. For one, what if I'm engaged in four years to someone doing a residency in my home state while I'm off in San Antonio or some other place? What if I have health problems in the middle of medical school? What if I don't get my preferred residency? Etc.

I feel badly about dragging along the recruiters for so long like this, because I've had doubts for a little while.

Honestly, I'm starting to get some cold feet. I don't know what my life will be like four years down the road, so committing myself to something major makes me nervous. For one, what if I'm engaged in four years to someone doing a residency in my home state while I'm off in San Antonio or some other place? What if I have health problems in the middle of medical school? What if I don't get my preferred residency? Etc.

I feel badly about dragging along the recruiters for so long like this, because I've had doubts for a little while.
These are all reasonable doubts to have. And you're right in that you can't predict the future and that life happens. You are asking the right questions and only you can supply the answers. Bundle up those questions and frame it as "is it worth all of the aforementioned risks for the perceived benefits of military service?". If yes, then go for it. If no, then you are under no obligation to sign. Don't worry about the recruiter, you don't owe them anything. This is your life and career versus a couple of hours of paperwork. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
These are all reasonable doubts to have. And you're right in that you can't predict the future and that life happens. You are asking the right questions and only you can supply the answers. Bundle up those questions and frame it as "is it worth all of the aforementioned risks for the perceived benefits of military service?". If yes, then go for it. If no, then you are under no obligation to sign. Don't worry about the recruiter, you don't owe them anything. This is your life and career versus a couple of hours of paperwork. Good luck.

Would you do it again?

Your doubts are valid. I married in medical school, didn't think I would. My spouse wanted to do fellowship but couldn't do we could stay together. Now he's looking at doing it next year when my commitment ends. Many rippling effects by signing the contract that don't only affect you.

Yes but was bounced out after intern year to make room for a returning GMO. That was how general surgery used to roll, but the practice was conveniently phased out after it happened to me.

I'm so sorry to hear, and I really appreciate your insight. Were you sent to GMO?

I'm so sorry to hear, and I really appreciate your insight. Were you sent to GMO?
Yes, I've been with an active duty unit ever since. My plan is to finish my time and reapply to a civilian residency.

By the way, check out the sticky for a discussion about the fate of GMOs: Military Medicine: Pros, Cons, and Opinions Usually the HPSP is sold to pre-meds with the understanding that GMO time increases your chance to match when you re-apply. It turns out that is not exactly 100% true. Some GMOs re-apply and do fine, but many do not. Same for TYs. Just be aware of that if you do decide to join.

Yes, I've been with an active duty unit ever since. My plan is to finish my time and reapply to a civilian residency.

By the way, check out the sticky for a discussion about the fate of GMOs: Military Medicine: Pros, Cons, and Opinions Usually the HPSP is sold to pre-meds with the understanding that GMO time increases your chance to match when you re-apply. It turns out that is not exactly 100% true. Some GMOs re-apply and do fine, but many do not. Same for TYs. Just be aware of that if you do decide to join.

Thanks for the link. Do you plan to apply to an advanced spot in gen. surg?

Another tidbit. I did the hpsp and fap and am 2 years away from getting out. Would I do it again..... Hell no. But did I get to meet some awesome people yes. Did I practice in austere locations yes. I am better because I joined...... The military has challenged me not in practice but socially and politicaly and understanding motive.

No. I love surgery but the lifestyle no longer jives with my life.

ah ic! Are you aiming for an advanced spot in another field (over intern year round 2)?

Another tidbit. I did the hpsp and fap and am 2 years away from getting out. Would I do it again..... Hell no. But did I get to meet some awesome people yes. Did I practice in austere locations yes. I am better because I joined...... The military has challenged me not in practice but socially and politicaly and understanding motive.

Thanks for sharing! Were you able to match into your preferred residency? Also, did you GMO after intern year?

ah ic! Are you aiming for an advanced spot in another field (over intern year round 2)?

Thanks for sharing! Were you able to match into your preferred residency? Also, did you GMO after intern year?
No gmo time for me civillian deferred for residency in my field of choice.

You'll likely regret your decision on your first assignment out of residency, when the civilian physician in the office next to you is making $150,000 more per year than you are working fewer hours per week and with a significantly lower burden of, "additional taskings". Plus the ability to simply take leave when they want, as opposed to having to fill out forms, make sure your trainings are up to date, have an NCO inspect your POV, and wait patiently until a Commander you've never met decides whether they want to sign off or not.