Army DCC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YayPudding

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm a prospective HPSP student with the Army. My recruiter has advised me that DCC has been made mandatory as preparation for BOLC. Has anyone been through DCC as Fort Sill? Is it expected that a 1st year med student find time for both DCC and BOLC?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks,

I'm a prospective HPSP student with the Army. My recruiter has advised me that DCC has been made mandatory as preparation for BOLC. Has anyone been through DCC as Fort Sill? Is it expected that a 1st year med student find time for both DCC and BOLC?

Cheers
Sweet Jesus, that is just cruel. It takes all of the time wasting of BOLC and adds 4 more weeks. This is a special child of the Good Idea Fairy. Or are they changing the amount of BOLC time at Ft Sam? I feel like I hear about BOLC being shortened or extended every year. 4 weeks at Ft Sill and then 2 at Ft Sam? Then why go to Ft Sam at all? I didn't go to any fancy DCC course, and I'm over here military bearing AF.

OP, there is no time to do this during medical school. Hell, there isn't time to do it before med school either, presuming you graduate in June.

However, if you are a big fan of spending time not practicing medicine and having your time wasted, then this course and milmed just may be for you!

Reactions: 2 users
Sweet Jesus, that is just cruel. It takes all of the time wasting of BOLC and adds 4 more weeks. This is a special child of the Good Idea Fairy. Or are they changing the amount of BOLC time at Ft Sam? I feel like I hear about BOLC being shortened or extended every year. 4 weeks at Ft Sill and then 2 at Ft Sam? Then why go to Ft Sam at all? I didn't go to any fancy DCC course, and I'm over here military bearing AF.

OP, there is no time to do this during medical school. Hell, there isn't time to do it before med school either, presuming you graduate in June.

However, if you are a big fan of spending time not practicing medicine and having your time wasted, then this course and milmed just may be for you!
Yes - The good idea fairy strikes again. No apparent change to BOLC timelines yet - and it is already tooooo long for most. Some 05/06 needed a few bullet points on an OER. Some AMEDD BOLC graduate that was Direct Commissioned probably wrote in the AAR/Review they were not sufficiently prepared for BOLC in how to wear a uniform, take apart a weapon, run a convoy, defend a position, write a counseling statement, or do land navigation. There is no concern that this will interfere with med school class time, an ADT rotation at a Med Center, or cause a residency late start.

OP - Here is the facebook page for the DCC Course. Maybe you could ask on their facebook page. The inaugural class graduated March 13th and many/all/some? are at BOLC in San Antonio now - the long course. C Battery 2-6 ADA Direct Commission Course. The other place you might get an answer is the Military HPSP Facebook page. Military HPSP Students & Physicians though I would rather see an answer from the DCC group page.

Off topic - Army needs to switch to the Navy method and utilize ROTC/SA/OCS/Basic Training as meeting title 10 requirements for Initial Military Training. Then the only participants in AMEDD/MS BOLC will be MedService and those with no previous experience. Or, shorten the course to 2 weeks for Medical and Dental Corps + a few others.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, DCC became mandatory last October due to the belief that HPSP students were not prepared for BOLC. DCC is 3 wks long

I went to a 1 day "pre-BOLC" meeting. We did an APFT, went to clothing and sales, and had a rah-rah speech from the company commander. Done.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, DCC became mandatory last October due to the belief that HPSP students were not prepared for BOLC. DCC is 3 wks long

DCC got out on indefinite hold a month or so ago. Don't worry about it. If you get chosen for army HPSP (same for me I'll find out in about 3-4 weeks) you'll do BOLC unless they reinstate DCC, but it apparently was a cluster **** so they halted it.

This is all in line with the Army's mission to waste as much of their resources as possible. If it can be done in the most painful way possible, and especially without any return on investment, even better. They seem to have some kind of Brewster's Millions deal with the federal government wherein they need to eliminate all their assets and have nothing to show for it by the end of the fiscal year so that they can inherit their rich Uncle's fortune.

This is all in line with the Army's mission to waste as much of their resources as possible. If it can be done in the most painful way possible, and especially without any return on investment, even better. They seem to have some kind of Brewster's Millions deal with the federal government wherein they need to eliminate all their assets and have nothing to show for it by the end of the fiscal year so that they can inherit their rich Uncle's fortune.
Wow. Mad props for the stellar reference of the classic Richard Pryor/John Candy comedy vehicle.

DCC got out on indefinite hold a month or so ago. Don't worry about it. If you get chosen for army HPSP (same for me I'll find out in about 3-4 weeks) you'll do BOLC unless they reinstate DCC, but it apparently was a cluster **** so they halted it.
I'm aspiring Army HPSP. Who would be the best person to give clarification on whether we will need to do DCC? If I understand correctly, DCC is on hold for now so the only commitment we need to make after 1st year of med school is BOLC. How long is BOLC anyway at Ft. Sam Houston?

I'm aspiring Army HPSP. Who would be the best person to give clarification on whether we will need to do DCC? If I understand correctly, DCC is on hold for now so the only commitment we need to make after 1st year of med school is BOLC. How long is BOLC anyway at Ft. Sam Houston?

Check with your recruiter for sure, but I asked mine for clarification about a week ago. I want to say 42 days?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how the Army is doing with filling HPSP slots this year? My recruiter is seeking to accelerate my accession physical and board review because apparently they're nearly filled.

Anyone know how the Army is doing with filling HPSP slots this year? My recruiter is seeking to accelerate my accession physical and board review because apparently they're nearly filled.

No idea, but have you gotten through MEPS yet?

DCC is on hold for now bc they can't square away the logistics since leadership is comprised of a bunch of *****s. However, you can rest assure that DCC is definitely in the plan as a mandatory session. The Army has a habit of leaking out future plans and then temporarily halting them. But don't worry. Leadership is making plans for this to be in place for future HPSPers. If you are an Army HPSPer, you should try to go to BOLC ASAP.

Hey folks,

Cheers

This is a warning to all future HPSPers that Big Green doesn't give a damn about your future medical career. In fact, it doesn't think that you need much Step 1 prep time in order to be a PCP. Please note that the number 1 goal of the Army is to fill PCP quotas.

Complete bull. Army HPSP slots for medical school go unfilled every year. They're accelerating your package bc they need to meet quotas.

Anyone know the dates for DCC this year?
Don't quote me, but from my recruiter:

Dates within this fiscal year for BOLC are as follows: 14 Mar to 05 May, 11 Jul to 01 Sep, and 27 Aug to 20 Oct. For next fiscal year: 10 Oct to 01 Dec, 07 Jan to 02 Mar, 13 Mar to 04 May, 10 Jul to 31 Aug, and 26 Aug to 19 Oct.

Don't quote me, but from my recruiter:

Dates within this fiscal year for BOLC are as follows: 14 Mar to 05 May, 11 Jul to 01 Sep, and 27 Aug to 20 Oct. For next fiscal year: 10 Oct to 01 Dec, 07 Jan to 02 Mar, 13 Mar to 04 May, 10 Jul to 31 Aug, and 26 Aug to 19 Oct.
Bolc dates are in atrrs

I believe that poster was asking about dcc

Bolc dates are in atrrs

I believe that poster was asking about dcc
My mistake! DCC dates within this fiscal year are 19 Mar to 09 April, 21 May to 11 Jun, and 06 Aug to 27 Aug.

But isn't the DCC requirement gonna be instated for people who get commissioned after a certain date/year? what would that be, those who get commissioned in sometime 2017? 2018? so basically if we are in already it wouldn't affect us?

But isn't the DCC requirement gonna be instated for people who get commissioned after a certain date/year? what would that be, those who get commissioned in sometime 2017? 2018? so basically if we are in already it wouldn't affect us?
I would say anyone going forward from around now. I think officially it was October 2016 but it doesn't appear to be strongly enforced. Someone please correct as needed.

I received notice that the DCC course is back on for June 10 (at least for me). I am HPSP, commissioned April 2016, and was to go to BOLC July 11, 2017 before reporting in September to my first duty station.

I am seeking clarification but the email indicated that I am required to attend this course even though I commissioned lin April 2016.

Last edited:
I received notice that the DCC course is back on for June 10 (at least for me). I am HPSP, commissioned April 2016, and was to go to BOLC July 11, 2017 before reporting in September to my first duty station.

I am seeking clarification but the email indicated that I am required to attend this course even though I commissioned lin April 2016.

Noooooooo

I heard on the HPSP FB group that DCC is off! I don't know what to believe anymore

It's not official until you guys actually get orders to report there, so the best thing to do is to carry on.
App hasn't hit board yet but I accept being told what to do for the coming years :rolleyes:

The decision was made late last week that there would be a June course. Currently there about 20 seats available on a first come basis. The Director Medical Education put out that anyone who signed a oath after last Sep will have got attend prior to BOLC. All others don't have to attend.

The decision was made late last week that there would be a June course. Currently there about 20 seats available on a first come basis. The Director Medical Education put out that anyone who signed a oath after last Sep will have got attend prior to BOLC. All others don't have to attend.
Any word on relaxing the time limit to get this all done? 20 students at a time during the only 2 months students tend to be free isn't logistically feasible

There are actually 140 seats in the June class. All but 20 have been taken by direct accessions, USU, and the HPSP folks asking for BOLC who oathed after 1 Oct. Their goal is to get more classes and more seats per class. This particular class got caught in the "we're doing DCC" "no, wait", "yes we are", "no wait". Much like the old Bill Cosby routine come here, come here, come here, go away, go away, go away.

If I board this month or June and commission in July/August to start school this year, will I go to DCC?

There are actually 140 seats in the June class. All but 20 have been taken by direct accessions, USU, and the HPSP folks asking for BOLC who oathed after 1 Oct. Their goal is to get more classes and more seats per class. This particular class got caught in the "we're doing DCC" "no, wait", "yes we are", "no wait". Much like the old Bill Cosby routine come here, come here, come here, go away, go away, go away.

Thank you for your response!

Do you have any knowledge on how this would effect HPSP status? Originally, I was supposed to go to BOLC in July followed by BOLC Behavioral Track followed by PCS to my CPIP internship. If I now go to DCC in June then BOLC then CPIP (as I have been told I will), my 12 month HPSP scholarship contract (10.5 months school and 1.5 months BOLC) will be lessened by one month (9.5 months school and 2.5 months active duty training).

Edit: The main reason I ask is that I am scheduled to take a course in the first summer session and DCC would prevent that so I lose part of my scholarship altogether.

Last edited:

I just learned that I will be going to DCC 10 JUN and BOLC 11 JUL too, but I commissioned in Jan 17.

I just learned that I will be going to DCC 10 JUN and BOLC 11 JUL too, but I commissioned in Jan 17.
That sounds fun? I don't get why adding DCC is necessary. Why not extend the didactic portion of BOLC to 4 weeks instead of requiring two separate training programs? It's going to seriously screw with those who, like me, won't be able to do either until the summer between 1st&2nd year. Our summer between OMS I and OMS II is only 4 1/2 weeks so I'm scratching my head trying to figure out when I'll be able to do DCC&BOLC...

That sounds fun? I don't get why adding DCC is necessary. Why not extend the didactic portion of BOLC to 4 weeks instead of requiring two separate training programs? It's going to seriously screw with those who, like me, won't be able to do either until the summer between 1st&2nd year. Our summer between OMS I and OMS II is only 4 1/2 weeks so I'm scratching my head trying to figure out when I'll be able to do DCC&BOLC...
I hear ya. I will be doing training from 10 Jun to 15 Sep which means I will be out of clinic for a long time. Most likely will walk with my class at graduation, but not graduate until I catch up on those hours missed.

so when would we do BOLC if we have to attend DCC between 1st and 2nd year?

http://sill-www.army.mil/assets/doc/tfz.pdf

Seems like a fine line, but, it can be argued that as a healthcare worker temporarily assigned to a TRADOC unit, you cannot smoke during the duty day, while in uniform or outside of designated smoking areas. Best to resign yourself to doing without for a few weeks.

You will have to return to the point of departure upon completion of the orders. This is true for all ADTs.

When you requested the ADT, the first section of the screen told you that if you wanted to leave and return from an address different from the school to change it prior to inputting the ADT request.

If you did not do that, contact the HPSP office at 877-MED-ARMY and explain that you will need to have the order amended.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 83