Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"students are reminded that they're in a professional college and individually responsible.."

Then goes to list a bunch of micromanaging policies to treat said professionals like kindergarteners

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, the handbook is from early fall, which is why I hold onto a little sliver of hope that they will make some changes. I won't get my hopes up though. In undergrad, I did the best when I attended all of my lectures, but everything I've read about mandatory attendance in medical school is negative. All negative. Like I literally haven't read one good thing about it, and it makes me nervous. I don't want to see myself or any classmates struggle, but if it happens, I just hope they will be open to some revisions.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Yeah, the handbook is from early fall, which is why I hold onto a little sliver of hope that they will make some changes. I won't get my hopes up though. In undergrad, I did the best when I attended all of my lectures, but everything I've read about mandatory attendance in medical school is negative. All negative. Like I literally haven't read one good thing about it, and it makes me nervous. I don't want to see myself or any classmates struggle, but if it happens, I just hope they will be open to some revisions.

I feel like this stuff has all been recently added.. Do you? I looked through it a couple of months ago and didn't see anything on attendance or dress code, so I clung on to hope too. Maybe I just missed it! I think most (not all) of the negativity has to do with having to deal with it during M2 while juggling board prep material. Maybe they will be willing to compromise on that when it comes around.. Still not thrilled about having to possibly deal with it 8-6 m-f all first year :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this stuff has all been recently added.. Do you? I looked through it a couple of months ago and didn't see anything on attendance or dress code, so I clung on to hope too. Maybe I just missed it! I think most (not all) of the negativity has to do with having to deal with it during M2 while juggling board prep material. Maybe they will be willing to compromise on that when it comes around.. Still not thrilled about having to possibly deal with it 8-6 m-f all first year :(
Hmm I can't remember when I first read over the handbook and if it used to have less information! I do assume that our days will differ in how many hours we will be on campus - I'm sure (hoping) that we would have some short days as well. During our TBL activity, the faculty member said lectures would normally be 8-noon, 50 min with 10 min breaks in between and lunch from noon-1. Then afternoons would be TBL, anatomy lab, or OMM, etc. So at least we would only have the bulk of lecturing in the mornings?

Do you remember if they said they have dedicated study time set aside for step/level 1 during second year?

Hmm I can't remember when I first read over the handbook and if it used to have less information! I do assume that our days will differ in how many hours we will be on campus - I'm sure (hoping) that we would have some short days as well. During our TBL activity, the faculty member said lectures would normally be 8-noon, 50 min with 10 min breaks in between and lunch from noon-1. Then afternoons would be TBL, anatomy lab, or OMM, etc. So at least we would only have the bulk of lecturing in the mornings?

Do you remember if they said they have dedicated study time set aside for step/level 1 during second year?

That's true. The 8-6 is probably our long anatomy lab days. Hopefully the others will be a few hours shorter!

I went into my interview day prepared to ask this and completely forgot to.. The cookies distracted me at the end of the day :laugh: hopefully someone else on here asked!

That's true. The 8-6 is probably our long anatomy lab days. Hopefully the others will be a few hours shorter!

I went into my interview day prepared to ask this and completely forgot to.. The cookies distracted me at the end of the day :laugh: hopefully someone else on here asked!

Those were seriously some of the best cookies I've ever had

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a terrible sweet tooth and Fort Smith has some wonderful bakeries to feed my problem :laugh: they were delicious!

Lol well even if I don't get accepted, At least I had some incredible cookies

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are done with interviews after the 27th. If you go back to the portal where you scheduled your interview, you are still able to see upcoming interview dates, and there are none listed for march.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are done with interviews after the 27th. If you go back to the portal where you scheduled your interview, you are still able to see upcoming interview dates, and there are none listed for march.

I don't think they've added March dates yet! I know I was wondering the same thing when I interviewed in January. None of the February dates showed up until it gets close to February.

I submitted my primary application in November and have not received any notification or contact from them since. I'm not even sure they received my app. I've called and emailed numerous times (when calling never spoke to an actual person, just left voicemails). I've never heard of this happening and it's pretty sad...I don't know what else I can do.

I submitted my primary application in November and have not received any notification or contact from them since. I'm not even sure they received my app. I've called and emailed numerous times (when calling never spoke to an actual person, just left voicemails). I've never heard of this happening and it's pretty sad...I don't know what else I can do.
That's really odd.. Do you happen to be local? If so, I'd go by there and ask about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could be wrong but I interpreted that only to mean that the dress code applies during business hours, not that classes necessarily go 8-6. I'd imagine med students will have 24/7 access to the building and can wear casual clothes during non-business hours.

It's not very clear.

This is why we need a tentative schedule ASAP.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I interpreted that only to mean that the dress code applies during business hours, not that classes necessarily go 8-6. I'd imagine med students will have 24/7 access to the building and can wear casual clothes during non-business hours.

i didn't interpret it that way. Also remember, that a chunk of the faculty did come from LECOM-Bradenton and they have similar dress code rules. i think it might be 8-6

Did they ever get cleared for Federal Student Loans?

This is what I remembered from my interview day concerning dress code and the 8-5 schedule. In terms of the dress code they said it is business casual and what they meant by that was no shorts or jeans. I also think they said we could change into something more comfortable once class was over, since we will each have a locker assigned to us. In terms of the 8-5 schedule, they said there might be some days like that but that does not mean we will have that ever day. Some days we might end at noon, others we might have a few hours to ourselves and then lab etc. I interviewed back in January but things might have changed.

This is what I remembered from my interview day concerning dress code and the 8-5 schedule. In terms of the dress code they said it is business casual and what they meant by that was no shorts or jeans. I also think they said we could change into something more comfortable once class was over, since we will each have a locker assigned to us. In terms of the 8-5 schedule, they said there might be some days like that but that does not mean we will have that ever day. Some days we might end at noon, others we might have a few hours to ourselves and then lab etc. I interviewed back in January but things might have changed.

I think you're right. That's how many medical schools do things. I know LMU DCOM does. They actually have each student assigned to a group for lab and they'll rotate lab times in the afternoon throughout the week

Does anyone know an actual name of someone that seems open to me contacting them about my application?

I actually have the same issue and I completed my primary application in July. I've called once a month until december and actually spoke to someone most of the times. The last time I called in december, the lady actually checked if they had everything needed from me and reviewed my app superficially. After reviewing, she was confused as why I haven't received a secondary as well, but she said she will make a note of it to the admission committee. I haven't heard from them since...

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything (rejection, alternate, or accepted) who interviewed in February? It just seems like there hasn't been any movement at all this month

Has anyone heard anything (rejection, alternate, or accepted) who interviewed in February? It just seems like there hasn't been any movement at all this month

Interviewed 2/6 and nothing yet

I received a call earlier today from admissions confirming that I wanted to be on the waitlist. She said that they were going through all the waitlisted apps and that today was one of the deadlines

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here. Best of luck to everyone!

@bethygean I hope this one goes to you!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here. Best of luck to everyone!

@bethygean I hope this one goes to you!

Congrats on your other acceptance! I greatly appreciated the insight you gave me on here for my visit to Arkansas.

Congrats on your other acceptance! I greatly appreciated the insight you gave me on here for my visit to Arkansas.
No problem! Wish nothing but the best for this school. You all will be great doctors come time for graduation! I look forward to being colleagues down the road. Good luck!

I interviewed here yesterday and they informed us that Monday February 27th will be the last interview date. So I would make sure to take that date if offered.

thats weird...on their website it says that they will be accepting secondary applications until April 15...

I too will be withdrawing my acceptance from here. Where are you headed instead if you don't mind me asking?
I'll be attending the instate MD school, UAMS. What about you?

Has anyone received anymore information about matriculation since the email sent in mid February? I know the email mentioned that more info concerning financial aide and other needed materials would be sent before March 1st. My email has been messing up lately and deleting emails without me knowing so I just wanted to check and make sure that I haven't missed anything. Thanks!!

Has anyone received anymore information about matriculation since the email sent in mid February? I know the email mentioned that more info concerning financial aide and other needed materials would be sent before March 1st. My email has been messing up lately and deleting emails without me knowing so I just wanted to check and make sure that I haven't missed anything. Thanks!!

I have not received an email either. I think it's fairly earlier in the day there and we should expect to receive one later today or at least that's what I expect to happen. Hope that helps!

I have not received an email either. I think it's fairly earlier in the day there and we should expect to receive one later today or at least that's what I expect to happen. Hope that helps!
Thank you! :)

Did anyone get in from Jan 30th or any of the Feburary Interviews yet? I interviewed on Jan 30th and have yet to hear back.

Did anyone get in from Jan 30th or any of the Feburary Interviews yet? I interviewed on Jan 30th and have yet to hear back.

I interviewed on 1/30 as well and haven't heard back yet

First time posting but this group has been super helpful for me.

I emailed Mandy about the documents. The online portal for managing all of the matriculation documents will be up sometime next week and we'll receive an update through email then.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think this school screens for subsections MCAT scores?

Last edited:
Do you guys think this school screens for subsections MCAT scores? I have a 122 in CARS, does anyone here have a 122 in one of the sections and still got accepted?

I don't think it will hurt you too bad. I interviewed and I believe I have a 122 subsection. Also, I'm pretty sure they accepted someone with as low as a 495, so I'd guess they had a 122 or lower in something.

Has anyone from 1/30 interview or later heard yet?

Today, I received an email from ARCOM stating that it "has received eligibility approval for Federal Student Aid authorized by Title IV, HEA Programs." Toot toot.

Interviewed 2/10. Acceptance call on Tuesday. I know of one other person who interviewed the same day and got the call as well.