Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely worth it! Hot Springs is beautiful and Little Rock is full of stuff to do. LR has our largest hospitals as well that we will have the opportunity to do rotations at through ARCOM (with the exception of UAMS hospital). After LR though, you will see the very rural parts of AR haha eastern AR is farm country, so don't expect too much between there and Jonesboro!
I greatly appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who interviewed 1/16 or 1/20 hear back recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed 1/16 or 1/20 hear back recently?

I interviewed on 1/13 and received a call the following Friday 1/20. If that helps in terms of a timeline.

Thanks, it does!

No problem! They also told us we would know something 7-10 days after the interview. They also said they were going to weekly meetings to discuss applicants if I remember correctly. I also received a formal letter yesterday 1/30. That's all I know on how they will let applicants know if they are accepted.

I also just withdrew my acceptance as well guys. I hope the spot goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 users
Alright its February, hopefully we get some good news about federal aid eligibility soon! ;)

I think they ranked the waitlist today. Praying to hear something soon!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I thought you got accepted somewhere else?!

I got accepted at DCOM but it won't work for my family right now to make the move. So, ARCOM is my only option, at least for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted at DCOM but it won't work for my family right now to make the move. So, ARCOM is my only option, at least for this cycle.

Hope you get some good news from here soon! Have you sent an email conveying this? I imagine a school hearing that an acceptance was turned down in hopes of moving off the waitlist here could be really positive if worded the right way. Really hope it works out for you!

Hope you get some good news from here soon! Have you sent an email conveying this? I imagine a school hearing that an acceptance was turned down in hopes of moving off the waitlist here could be really positive if worded the right way. Really hope it works out for you!

So, is it official are they dont have anymore spots other than waiting list here?

I've sent an email to both admissions and to Dr. Fudge but did not directly state that I turned down another acceptance

I've sent an email to both admissions and to Dr. Fudge but did not directly state that I turned down another acceptance

Well, I'm rooting for ya. If nothing happens in a couple of weeks, I might drop that hint to Dr. Fudge if I were you. Best of luck!

For those interviewing soon, report back if you hear anything about financial aid being approved, please!

This group has been pretty quiet lately, so I'll break the silence! I interviewed on Friday, 1/27 and received my acceptance call yesterday!

Primary sent to ARCOM: 1/10
Secondary received: 1/12 (submitted same day)
Complete: 1/13
II: 1/13
Interview: 1/27
Acceptance call: 2/2 (around 11AM central)

I'm an OOS non-trad and would have been very negatively affected by the AACOMAS grade replacement policy changing with the next cycle. I was scheduled to retake my MCAT this spring and apply in May, but I took a chance that worked in my favor! (It helped that I had most of my primary complete already - just had to be verified which only took 4 days.) I had a sub-500 MCAT (between 495 and 499), 3.3-3.6 GPAs, and strong ECs. Very grateful for this opportunity!

Edit: On my interview day, there was still no official word on financial aid, but they were optimistic that they would hear back any day. The Residents apartments being built are due to open July 15 if they don't hit any snags and will likely be $750 for a one bedroom (utilities included) - not sure now much for two bedrooms.

They had also said that ~100 students have put down their deposits for the 150-162 seats available.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
This group has been pretty quiet lately, so I'll break the silence! I interviewed on Friday, 1/27 and received my acceptance call yesterday!

I'm an OOS non-trad and would have been very negatively affected by the AACOMAS grade replacement policy changing with the next cycle. I was scheduled to retake my MCAT this spring and apply in May, but I took a chance that worked in my favor! (It helped that I had most of my primary complete already - just had to be verified which only took 4 days.) I had a sub-500 MCAT (between 495 and 499), 3.3-3.6 GPAs, and strong ECs. Very grateful for this opportunity!

Edit: On my interview day, there was still no official word on financial aid, but they were optimistic that they would hear back any day. The Residents apartments being built are due to open July 15 if they don't hit any snags and will likely be $750 for a one bedroom (utilities included) - not sure now much for two bedrooms.

They had also said that ~100 students have put down their deposits for the 150-162 seats available.

Thank you for your feedback................. is there a number to reach admission directly? I have been trying for a week and I keep getting sutdents services with no answer !

Did they say anything about mandatory attendance? I'm hoping that policy changes with the new dean.

Thank you for your feedback................. is there a number to reach admission directly? I have been trying for a week and I keep getting sutdents services with no answer !
I'll PM you some numbers I have.

Did they say anything about mandatory attendance? I'm hoping that policy changes with the new dean.
I didn't hear anything when I interviewed and nobody asked in my group as far as I know. I regret not asking though because everywhere I look, people only have negative things to say about mandatory attendance... :/ Can someone else interviewing soon maybe ask about this? Or someone who has plans to contact the school with other questions?

I'll PM you some numbers I have.

Can you PM me the numbers too?
I didn't hear anything when I interviewed and nobody asked in my group as far as I know. I regret not asking though because everywhere I look, people only have negative things to say about mandatory attendance... :/ Can someone else interviewing soon maybe ask about this? Or someone who has plans to contact the school with other questions?

Did anyone hear back from the 1/30 interview?

I stopped by today and chatted with a few folks. The waitlist will probably start being ranked soon. Financial aid is looking good, no reason it shouldn't get approved. Especially this far along.

Picked up a couple t shirts while I was there! Haha.

Well, that's a good sign.
When I interviewed, they highlighted this during the powerpoint presentation. There was a slide that explicitly stated that there was mandatory attendance and a dress code.

Did you have to do a TBL exercise during your interview day?
We had to plan out a typical day in med school on a white board. We were told to block the hours of 8am-5pm off for class.

Last edited:
Well, that's a good sign.
When I interviewed, they highlighted this during the powerpoint presentation. There was a slide that explicitly stated that there was mandatory attendance and a dress code.

Did you have to do a TBL exercise during your interview day?
We had to plan out a typical day in med school on a white board. We were told to block the hours of 8am-5pm off for class.

Hmm interesting! I'm 99% sure there was no slide about a dress code. We went over the curriculum, but I really don't think there was anything mentioned about mandatory attendance either. Maybe this is a good sign!

We did do the TBL about a 24 hour schedule, and we were asked if we thought this was enough time to learn everything. He didn't outright say it, but I almost got the feeling that the faculty member with us didn't think all day/mandatory lectures leaves us with a sufficient amount of time.

Hmm interesting! I'm 99% sure there was no slide about a dress code. We went over the curriculum, but I really don't think there was anything mentioned about mandatory attendance either. Maybe this is a good sign!

We did do the TBL about a 24 hour schedule, and we were asked if we thought this was enough time to learn everything. He didn't outright say it, but I almost got the feeling that the faculty member with us didn't think all day/mandatory lectures leaves us with a sufficient amount of time.
+1 to this and my interview was in November right after the new dean was brought in. I called admissions roughly a month later and was basically laughed at for even the thought of not having to come to class though. Wouldn't get your hopes up.

There is 100% mandatory attendance and a business casual dress code. Absolutely.

+1 to this and my interview was in November right after the new dean was brought in. I called admissions roughly a month later and was basically laughed at for even the thought of not having to come to class though. Wouldn't get your hopes up.

That sucks. I'm fine with going to class, but claiming 45 hours of our time each week seems excessive even with breaks.

That sucks. I'm fine with going to class, but claiming 45 hours of our time each week seems excessive even with breaks.

I don't think class will actually be until 5 each week day. Some of the days maybe, but I doubt it will be every week day. A lot of schools have lecture in the mornings and then labs in the afternoon, which are often divided up into groups of students. Some days may involve your group being the last one of the day to have lab while other days, your group may be the first in the afternoon to have lab

I'm hoping it's something that is only required for the first year. Something to get our feet wet in medical school and get us a solid foundation of knowledge, and then let us spread our wings a little bit second year and do what works best for us. Especially since we'll start prepping for boards and be using more outside resources to learn than what is taught in lecture each day. I feel like, as the first class, that's something that could be talked about with staff and is a very reasonable compromise.

Thank you for responding guys, it seems they take long time to send secondary and then II! right?
Yeah, I sent my primary app out in July 2016, got a secondary invitation in late November I believe. Though, a day later after doing their secondary, I got an offer for interview. So they are pretty quick about that.

For those that have been accepted, how long did it take to receive the email to send your deposit and all the other stuff? thank you

For those that have been accepted, how long did it take to receive the email to send your deposit and all the other stuff? thank you
I received my email about 30 mins after my acceptance call. The email only talks about deposits and dates due, and I haven't received information about anything else yet.

I received my email about 30 mins after my acceptance call. The email only talks about deposits and dates due, and I haven't received information about anything else yet.
Yeah, I haven't received an email yet. How long does it give you to pay your deposit? thank you

Yeah, I haven't received an email yet. How long does it give you to pay your deposit? thank you
  • Applicants accepted prior to November 15 will have until January 15 to pay the final, non-refundable $1,500 deposit.
  • Applicants accepted between November 15 and February 15 will have 30 days to submit the first deposit of $500 and an additional 30 days to submit the final, non-refundable deposit of $1,500.
  • Applicants accepted after February 15 will have 30 days to pay the total $2,000 non-refundable deposit.

• Applicants accepted prior to November 15 will have until January 15 to pay the final, non-refundable $1,500 deposit.
  • Applicants accepted between November 15 and February 15 will have 30 days to submit the first deposit of $500 and an additional 30 days to submit the final, non-refundable deposit of $1,500.
  • Applicants accepted after February 15 will have 30 days to pay the total $2,000 non-refundable deposit.
Thank you very much!