Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
14 million dollars! Damn that's a lot of money. Looks like it was backed by Fort Smith regional healthcare (http://www.sparkshealth.com/physicians)

Would like to see that partnership strengthen to the point where SparksHealth becomes main teaching hospital for the medical school.
The president of the Arkansas Osteopathic Association has been really pushing for this school to open. They are very nice people and I hope everything works out for them. Fort Smith is a little, meh, for my liking.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What are each of your opinions on rotation sites at this school? NYIT also has a campus in the state so both schools now have to compete for the rotation sites.

What are each of your opinions on rotation sites at this school? NYIT also has a campus in the state so both schools now have to compete for the rotation sites.

It's gonna get messy, since it won't be just the two schools but also schools from adjacent states.

I honestly can't speak from any experience, but I do know that if Sparks is backing this school then they should have no trouble filling residency slots simply due to the size of the Sparks systems around this region. There are adjacent schools, but for the most part I think people try to stay in their home states if possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Campbell is really going up on my list for this reason. They're the only DO school in the state, as well as many good hospitals in the region. Plus, UNC and Duke are nearby so hopefully that helps bring up CUSOM as well.

Anyone have any idea when they will start taking applications?

Does anyone bave any updates on this school?

Hmm. Tuition and fees are $45,500/yr, but they say they don't plan to increase it for 10 yrs. If that actually happens it'll be good and is below the average cost of DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we know how strict they are on that 124 subsection cutoff?

I have 505 (128/127/126/124), psych and socio had their way with me

Is this the same school thats under NYITCOM?

Is this the same school thats under NYITCOM?
no I dont think so, this is ARCOM, and then NYITCOM has an arkansas sister campus opening up, both unrelated to each other

I have had no luck contacting admissions... does anyone have a phone number? I have not found one yet... and they have not answered any emails. I am sure they are swamped.

And no, this is not NYIT, this is a separate entity.

I have talked with the president of the Arkansas Osteopathic Association and he is the one who has really been the driving factor behind this university. He and his father, whom is a DO and teaches in Kirksville, both came and talked at my university last year about this school opening up. They have high expectations for this university and in my honest opinion I think this medical school will be better than the NYIT-Jonesboro medical school. I can find his phone number and email if you all really need or want it. He is open to anyone contacting him about physicians to shadow in Arakansas or just answering general questions.

I have talked with the president of the Arkansas Osteopathic Association and he is the one who has really been the driving factor behind this university. He and his father, whom is a DO and teaches in Kirksville, both came and talked at my university last year about this school opening up. They have high expectations for this university and in my honest opinion I think this medical school will be better than the NYIT-Jonesboro medical school. I can find his phone number and email if you all really need or want it. He is open to anyone contacting him about physicians to shadow in Arakansas or just answering general questions.
Long shot, but did he give you any indication of when their admissions process would begin?

So they are accepting for the class of 2017? If so let me know so I can create an actual thread in the school specific forum.
According to MSAR (and the fact they were on the primary and I sent them an app), they sure are!

Just a heads up - the requirements they posted are firm. I went to the undergraduate school in Fort Smith and live 10 minutes from the campus. I have spoken to them about the requirements because I have a 504 overall but a 124 in CARS. They told me to retake the MCAT to be considered as a competitive applicant. They will have regional preference, but that does not mean you do not have to meet the requirements they posted. Unlike most schools, meeting 2 out of the 3 does not sound like it will be enough to give you a decent chance at an interview (even for a local applicant). They have agreements in the works with Sparks, but already have rotations setup with Mercy. It is going to be a great school.

How did you get in touch with them? Email or phone?

Just a heads up - the requirements they posted are firm. I went to the undergraduate school in Fort Smith and live 10 minutes from the campus. I have spoken to them about the requirements because I have a 504 overall but a 124 in CARS. They told me to retake the MCAT to be considered as a competitive applicant. They will have regional preference, but that does not mean you do not have to meet the requirements they posted. Unlike most schools, meeting 2 out of the 3 does not sound like it will be enough to give you a decent chance at an interview (even for a local applicant). They have agreements in the works with Sparks, but already have rotations setup with Mercy. It is going to be a great school.
pretty crazy that they wont be lenient on the 125 rule :/

How did you get in touch with them? Email or phone?
I'm family friends with a physician on the board and he set me up with the Director of Admissions.
pretty crazy that they wont be lenient on the 125 rule :/
I thought the same thing. Especially for a new school. Even the established schools usually have a 2 out of 3 rule for their requirements. They told me that they would only consider interviews for those that don't meet the requirements if they didn't fill all of the seats, but they're anticipating around 5k applicants so that shouldn't be too hard. So I asked them if they would interview someone with a 500 and a 125 on every section over my 504 (127, 124, 127, 126) and they said yes...

Interesting indeed.

I'm family friends with a physician on the board and he set me up with the Director of Admissions.

I thought the same thing. Especially for a new school. Even the established schools usually have a 2 out of 3 rule for their requirements. They told me that they would only consider interviews for those that don't meet the requirements if they didn't fill all of the seats, but they're anticipating around 5k applicants so that shouldn't be too hard. So I asked them if they would interview someone with a 500 and a 125 on every section over my 504 (127, 124, 127, 126) and they said yes...
very strange indeed, curious to see how the school develops and plays out then. With so many new DO schools coming about, its hard to pick out the good ones that will provide a quality education vs junk

very strange indeed, curious to see how the school develops and plays out then. With so many new DO schools coming about, its hard to pick out the good ones that will provide a quality education vs junk
Very true. I think it'll be a really good school honestly. If I do apply, it will most likely be later in the cycle after hearing from the other schools I have applied to. Hopefully seats haven't been filled or have opened up here by then.

finally got an email saying that they received my primary and its under review

"Primary app received" email as well. I bet their office is a **** show

I did not receive said email... Should I contact them?

Nope just an email that said my application was received.

I submitted yesterday. I would love to hear something from this school. Maybe soon!

When they came to my school, they told us they were going to be accepting people as early as October. They had better get things moving for you guys if that's going to be the case.

I have a feeling we will be hearing something very soon.

Sent from my LG-D950 using SDN mobile

What do you all think the chances are that the 125 subsection cutoff will be absolutely cut throat even with good stats 29+/3.6+?

Do you guys know what the latest MCAT they take is?

They should hire us as debuggers for secondary application websites.

Sent from my LG-D950 using SDN mobile