Argosy Online BA in Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpasticSpike

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm attending Argosy University for their online program for a BA in Psychology and my major being Organizational/Industrial Psychology. I've heard bad things about the campus Argosy University experience but not much as to how their online programs are. I know what most people are going to say which is that they're a for-profit school and they accept more students which "apparently" is a bad sign of a thirsty college looking to take some sucker students money for a ride before they drop out. Also apparently they were under pending investigations from the U.S. Department of Justice in the past. However, not too long after I enrolled they made an announcement that they were going non-profit because the Dream Foundation was taking over. So I'm hoping the negative light is dimmed with this change but I'm still not sure. I'm looking for some insight on Argosy University online program perspective on if it's just as bad as some of the campuses based at the multiple Argosy's.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm attending Argosy University for their online program for a BA in Psychology and my major being Organizational/Industrial Psychology. I've heard bad things about the campus Argosy University experience but not much as to how their online programs are. I know what most people are going to say which is that they're a for-profit school and they accept more students which "apparently" is a bad sign of a thirsty college looking to take some sucker students money for a ride before they drop out. Also apparently they were under pending investigations from the U.S. Department of Justice in the past. However, not too long after I enrolled they made an announcement that they were going non-profit because the Dream Foundation was taking over. So I'm hoping the negative light is dimmed with this change but I'm still not sure. I'm looking for some insight on Argosy University online program perspective on if it's just as bad as some of the campuses based at the multiple Argosy's.
For profit/non profit is a legal distinction that has no bearing on how much they charge and the ability of people to get rich off of it, and no effect on students. People get rich off non profits and charities all the time.

Yes, people will say those other things. The reason is that they are accurate.

Last edited:
As MCParent said, "not for profit" is a legal term and has very little to do with how the money is used, relative speaking. The reputation (which is well earned) of anything associated with Argosy won't change until long after their outcomes have changed. Those have consistently remained low in the category of "quality education" and I have not seen any evidence that their educational practices have been/are/or will shift any time soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
The other aspect to keep in mind with any online bachelor's degree is that if the eventual goal is entry into a graduate program, the potentially limited access to volunteer research positions could be substantially limiting. Access to letter of recommendation writers who know you well may be likewise limited.

Reactions: 1 user
I would strongly advise against it, especially if you have any goals for further education or employment in the field.

I'm an Argosy grad and am generally much more positive on Argosy than most posters here. However, I really have a tough time seeing how an online BA would translate well to a graduate school experience at any school.

Reactions: 1 user