Argentina x US? What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VicLoira

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I am starting a new thread with my situation because I feel there are many specifics that aren't mentioned in other threads... Basically, I am at a crossroad with what direction I should steer my life to.
I am Argentinean, but have been living abroad for most of my life (not in US and I am 18), and I still hope to return to Argentina someday..
I am wholeheartedly sure that I will study medicine. Last year I spent a couple of weeks assisting a local surgeon on his surgeries (cystectomies, hysterecomies....), which I loooved.
Now I do not know what to do.
If I go to Argentina I will attend Argentina's best university for medicine, and if I go to US, I would go to a college ranked around 30-something. Studying medicine in Argentina is muuuch cheaper, not to mention how much closer I would be to my home and friends and family. But my main concern with Argentina is the limited options I would have in the future. Would I stay "trapped" in Argentina for the rest of my life? I know I would loove to live in Boston/NY at some point, but maybe this is too unrealistic.
Exactly what are the chances that I get into medical school, a residency programme or a specialty/anything related to medicine in US if I go to Argentina (after graduating from the 5-year medical school of Argentina - there are no undergraduate studies in Argentina)? What is Argentina's general reputation for medical education? And if I go to US now instead, would it actually be easier to get into medical school? Is more money spent in a US college worth it? What would be my best alternative?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same questions! It is unfortunate that nobody has replied. Have you heard anything elsewhere? I desire to study in Argentina and return to the USA for residency. Medical education here just doesn't appeal to me.

I know that at least the state of California recognizes degrees from Argentina, but as for residency, I am sure it is much harder to obtain one.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have more choices if you choose to study in the US. It is more expensive but you will have more chances to work and live in the Boston/NY area. As an international graduate, you will have to deal with a lot of obstacles and and even worse if you would like to become a surgeon. Most of top programs do not take IMG's.
If you go back to Argentina, it will be free but down the road... It is not worth it. Now if you cannot afford a US medical school, then work very hard from day 1, study with USMLE preparation books, be the first of your class, travel to the US for clerkships, get American letters of recommendation, ace the USMLE and you could get to programs friendly to IMG's.

Hi, I am in the exact same situation!! I am already attending Universidad Austral here in Argentina but got accepted to a University in the US so I'm deciding whether to stay or leave in August. Please tell me what you decided to do. Also, check my profile and feel free to send me an inbox, maybe we could have a better conversation over email or whatsapp haha.

Just curious, do medical interns/residents in Buenos Aires work the same number of hours as US interns/residents do? Do they still manage to party late into the night as everyone else does in BA?

Hi, I am in the exact same situation!! I am already attending Universidad Austral here in Argentina but got accepted to a University in the US so I'm deciding whether to stay or leave in August. Please tell me what you decided to do. Also, check my profile and feel free to send me an inbox, maybe we could have a better conversation over email or whatsapp haha.

If your plans are to practice In USA, pack you bags and accept that offer boy!

Reactions: 1 user
I really hope you did not listen to these idiots and you stayed in Universidad Austral. I just found A resident MD in NY from your University. Best of luck Amigo.

I really hope you did not listen to these idiots and you stayed in Universidad Austral. I just found A resident MD in NY from your University. Best of luck Amigo.
is it really that good? i want to study there but i don't know if i should rather go to the UBA. Austral has the opportunity of using machines and being able to travel to the usa and have clinical knowledge. But i dont know if internationally the UBA is better seen that Austral. you have any advice?

Im in Universidad Austral. Do you know how was he able to live in NY? Did he have good grades? That's my goal.

Did you leave to study in the US????? Im in Universidad Austral also but I have always wanted to study abroad.

Reactions: 1 user