Are there any programs that require a home chair letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xingster23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they any derm programs that require a letter from the derm department chair from our home school? Or can we just get one from our home school's program director? I asked my PD and he said he would be fine with the chair cosigning it if there are schools that require a chair letter. I figure it would benefit me to have two names on my letter, especially since our PD is an assistant professor.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I have this question as well!

Are they any derm programs that require a letter from the derm department chair from our home school? Or can we just get one from our home school's program director? I asked my PD and he said he would be fine with the chair cosigning it if there are schools that require a chair letter. I figure it would benefit me to have two names on my letter, especially since our PD is an assistant professor.

Thank you so much!

In general, the PD letter is going to be more important. I don't know of any programs that specifically require a department chair letter but if your chair is OK with cosigning the letter, you should still be covered there.

In a best case scenario, you would get to know both your chair and PD well enough that you could get two excellent letters each from both of them.