Are patient logs mandatory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedMan80

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my program we're told to log atleast 1 patient a day for our entire residency..how mandatory is this for licensing and or board eligibility purposes?

Members don't see this ad.

Well they might not let you graduate without completing it so there is that... otherwise it has nothing to do with licensing or board certification though it is not uncommon for residency programs to want case logs
Well, since graduating from an accredited training program is generally required for licensing and board certification, it might be argued that it does indeed have something to do with that!

The ACGME mandates that programs "demonstrate that each resident has met the educational requirements of the program with regard to variety of patients, diagnoses, and treatment modalities." Most programs use logs to ensure this in some way shape or form. You could also look at it as appropriate self-discipline, and self-tracking of your own progress and development, much as you use an exercise app to track your workouts.

In my program we're told to log atleast 1 patient a day for our entire residency..how mandatory is this for licensing and or board eligibility purposes?

every program is going to require it; just a silly and useless hoop you have to jump through. Just do them/record them all at the end of each year whenever they are do. I don't know of anyone who ever actually tracked/recorded them on a day by day or even week by week basis.

Members don't see this ad :)
My job actually asked for copies of my logs and I had to get them sent from my residency.

My job actually asked for copies of my logs and I had to get them sent from my residency.

Sounds like a pretty good reason to turn down a job.

We don't have logging at my residency, but I definitely had to log encounters at my medical school, and many of my resident colleagues in psychiatry from other programs (we work together in the VA) have to fill out logs.

I think it's useful on some level to make sure you're getting exposure to everything you're supposed to, but in practice we are seeing so many patients that the bases are covered. :)