Are DAT scores considered differently for students with different ethnicity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiaotian5136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that dental schools review applicants with Asian heritage much more competitively than other majority of students. Does this mean it is required to have a more competitive score to enter a certain dental school if you are of Asian ethnicity than the majority of other students? Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

My friend said that even though 22 might be a solid score to get into some schools as non-Asian student, I needed like a 23,24 to be safe, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your friend may have said that because there are many asian applicants with high scores. It is sort of similar with how admissions to colleges are nowadays with asians rocking the SATs. Although it is not as clear cut like that for dental school admissions I would say asians do have a harder time getting in. It won't be because of a 22 AA tho lol, that is a great score!

I don't think they look at scores like that. I'm Asian and I only got a 19AA. I was accepted to three schools and wait listed at three.

I think it works in the other direction. An URM applicant has a chance of getting accepted with a lower than average DAT (possibly 18 AA), but everyone else will probably not. When it comes to the level of 22 AA, I don't think race matters lol That's a great score regardless..23/24 will make you super safe