Applying to PT school with low GPA (2.66)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jn7771992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently graduated from college last December and I'm applying to several PT schools in Texas to become a PT. I've been wanting to become a PT since my sophomore year of college. Unfortunately, my GPA is really low due to changing majors and it took me 5.5 years to graduate with a BS degree in Kinesiology. I volunteered in several different PT clinics (Outpatient, Inpatient, Nursing homes, Sports Medicine) with 222 observation hours. I'm looking for jobs as PT tech/aide and I'm studying the GRE right now and taking the test in April. Now I'm really nervous since my chances of getting in are slim due to a low GPA. I need some advice on what to do at this point? How can I get through this without the stress and constant anxiety and worrying about my future?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I'd definitely retake a lot of those courses you didn't do very well in to at least bring up your GPA to a 3.0. That's the minimum requirement for pretty much every school. I would also look into programs that take your highest grade for classes you've retaken. I think you have plenty of observation hours so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just be sure to do very well on the GRE and bring up that GPA! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Jay laid it out for you perfectly. You must meet each school's admission requirements to be considered for admission, and most schools list a minimum GPA of 3.0 as one of their requirements.

I would suggest taking a year to retake prerequisite courses and getting no less than A's. This would prove to Admissions that you are serious about being a PT and that you would be able to handle the coursework in PT school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't apply this upcoming cycle. With that GPA your application would likely be thrown away and you would've wasted a lot of money on application fees.

Hey guys,

I recently graduated from college last December and I'm applying to several PT schools in Texas to become a PT. I've been wanting to become a PT since my sophomore year of college. Unfortunately, my GPA is really low due to changing majors and it took me 5.5 years to graduate with a BS degree in Kinesiology. I volunteered in several different PT clinics (Outpatient, Inpatient, Nursing homes, Sports Medicine) with 222 observation hours. I'm looking for jobs as PT tech/aide and I'm studying the GRE right now and taking the test in April. Now I'm really nervous since my chances of getting in are slim due to a low GPA. I need some advice on what to do at this point? How can I get through this without the stress and constant anxiety and worrying about my future?

Thank you!
I've got to agree with those above. I'd say your observation hours are fine. Are the therapists you've worked under willing to write letters of recommendation for you? You'll also need a professor to write one. Which is why it's a great idea to start retaking classes, primarily your pt pre reqs. My piece of advice would to be to try to get more A's than B's, and literally no C's on the pre reqs. Last year when I applied, I had a 3.3 pre gpa and only made it on the wait list at 2 schools when I applied to 8. Never got accepted. So I retook 2 classes, brought it up to a 3.5, and got accepted by my number 1 school!

Don't think of school as a timeline, it doesn't matter that it took you 5.5 years to complete your bachelors. What matters is that you finished. And now if you want to be a PT, you need to go back and work really really hard over the next 2-3 semesters. I'd say take 2 classes a semester, especially if you're working while retaking these courses. The good news? The retaken classes should be much easier for you, seeing material for the second time increases your chances of an A dramatically.

You may also want to think about taking the GRE twice. Taking it in April will give you plenty of time to think about retaking it a few months later with more time to study. 150's on the quantitative and verbal are usually the minimum a school would accept, so scoring around a 155 on each puts you in a good place. Consider retaking statistics if that's one of your lower pre req grades, as it will help a lot during the GRE.

Schools love to hear what you've done since graduation, have you considered finding a job such as a personal trainer/group ex/coaching? It will look really good and you'll have plenty of stories to tell during interviews.

I agree with what has been said already. I was in your same shoes applying to PT schools but I did have about a 3.1 GPA and an average GRE when I applied. I got denied by about 8 FL schools my first time around. I asked myself how bad did I really want to pursue this passion of mine. So I went for my masters degree in Exercise Physiology and busted my ass for a year and got all A's in the program. I applied this round to 9 Florida schools. So far I've been denied again by each one with an exception to the University of Saint Augustine for Health Sciences! Once I received my Master's degree they waived my GRE and my GPA received a nice boost.
So with all of that being said, I'm telling you this because it is certainly possible. Ask yourself how bad do you really want it and make a game plan how you will really improve your application. If you don't want to knock out your Master's in a year then really improve your GPA, Prereqs, and GRE. Research many schools and see which one's requirements you meet then go from there. I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much everyone! It means a lot since I've been questioning myself whether I'm capable of doing it or not. It's been very rough lately and I'm trying my best not to think negative. I've applied to many jobs from PT Aide to Medical Assistant and Exercise group jobs to gain some experience and I got some interviews, but I haven't got any offers. So far, everything from my GPA to job applications has gone terrible. Also, I'm struggling financially and I'm debating on do PTA if I don't get into PT schools for this purpose.

Don't do PTA, do PT. You can do it if you just have the right game plan and mindset. I tell you this because I'm on the exact same path. Graduated last year with a GPA of 2.56. Yes, I was in an even worse position than you are in regards to GPA.

First off, have you taken all of your prerequisite courses already? If not, you are in a better position than I am. You can have a very high prerequisite GPA if this will be your first time taking them.

Here is my game plan that you should highly consider doing if you truly want to be a PT. Now it's going to take a year or two, but it's a small price to pay when considering PT is going to be your lifelong career.

You must retake most of the prerequisite courses you got a B- in or less in. This is going to cost several thousand dollars, so I suggest taking these courses at a community college to save money. I'm also poor, so what I'm doing is working overtime so that I can afford to pay the bills and tuition at the same time.

Here's a protip to paying for these courses: Only do this is you are responsible with your finances!! I have an outstanding credit score, so I applied for a credit card with a special 0% APR for 18 months. This allowed me to pay for tuition on my credit card, as well as granting me a year and a half to pay off the balance without worrying about interest. Don't do minimum payments either, you want to pay off the balance as soon as you can because you don't want to be left with a $2000 balance accumulating interest on month 19. After all other expenses are paid for (rent, cell phone, utilities, etc.) pay off as much as you can afford to on your balance.

You can not afford to get anything less than an A in these prerequisite courses. You already have well over 100 credits, so each class you take will raise your cGPA by only a small amount. Getting A's in these courses will tell the admissions committee two things:
1) you are capable of mastering the material needed to enter PT school
2) you are determined to becoming a PT

Be sure to get close to your Professors. After all, they will be writing your LORs.

Study for the GRE for at least 3 months, you really want to stand out and get a high score. If you get a cumulative score of 310+, that will help overlook your subpar cGPA. It might be best to study in the Summer and take the GRE sometime in August or September.

Be sure to shadow at least 2 PTs, both inpatient and outpatient. Get at least 200 hours in. Also, get very close with those PTs. Make sure that they can write you superb LORs.

After 1 to 2 years you will be ready to apply. You should look into schools that take the highest grade for retakes (if you had to retake your courses) and schools that look at your last 60 credit hours instead of your cGPA. These will be the schools where you have the best shot in. I'm assuming you are in Texas. I believe there a quite a few schools there that meet this criteria. Apply strategically, no need to apply to 15+ schools. Just focus on the few schools where your application will be the strongest.

If you have any questions about this plan, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Don't do PTA, do PT. You can do it if you just have the right game plan and mindset. I tell you this because I'm on the exact same path. Graduated last year with a GPA of 2.56. Yes, I was in an even worse position than you are in regards to GPA.

First off, have you taken all of your prerequisite courses already? If not, you are in a better position than I am. You can have a very high prerequisite GPA if this will be your first time taking them.

Here is my game plan that you should highly consider doing if you truly want to be a PT. Now it's going to take a year or two, but it's a small price to pay when considering PT is going to be your lifelong career.

You must retake most of the prerequisite courses you got a B- in or less in. This is going to cost several thousand dollars, so I suggest taking these courses at a community college to save money. I'm also poor, so what I'm doing is working overtime so that I can afford to pay the bills and tuition at the same time.

Here's a protip to paying for these courses: Only do this is you are responsible with your finances!! I have an outstanding credit score, so I applied for a credit card with a special 0% APR for 18 months. This allowed me to pay for tuition on my credit card, as well as granting me a year and a half to pay off the balance without worrying about interest. Don't do minimum payments either, you want to pay off the balance as soon as you can because you don't want to be left with a $2000 balance accumulating interest on month 19. After all other expenses are paid for (rent, cell phone, utilities, etc.) pay off as much as you can afford to on your balance.

You can not afford to get anything less than an A in these prerequisite courses. You already have well over 100 credits, so each class you take will raise your cGPA by only a small amount. Getting A's in these courses will tell the admissions committee two things:

Be sure to get close to your Professors. After all, they will be writing your LORs.

Study for the GRE for at least 3 months, you really want to stand out and get a high score. If you get a cumulative score of 310+, that will help overlook your subpar cGPA. It might be best to study in the Summer and take the GRE sometime in August or September.

Be sure to shadow at least 2 PTs, both inpatient and outpatient. Get at least 200 hours in. Also, get very close with those PTs. Make sure that they can write you superb LORs.

After 1 to 2 years you will be ready to apply. You should look into schools that take the highest grade for retakes (if you had to retake your courses) and schools that look at your last 60 credit hours instead of your cGPA. These will be the schools where you have the best shot in. I'm assuming you are in Texas. I believe there a quite a few schools there that meet this criteria. Apply strategically, no need to apply to 15+ schools. Just focus on the few schools where your application will be the strongest.

Your post and everyone's else really moved me. I'm in the same boat like you guys. I have 3.00 gpa and I received a C and a b- on many science prerequisites. I didn't take physics and second part of chemistry yet. I'm taking my prerequisites in September at Laguardia community college. I'm patient care worker, and I only make 11 per hr and I work 40 hours. I can't afford the college tuition. Is it possible that I can do my prerequisites on student loans?

Also how does non degree works if you go full time. Do I pay the full time tuition or by credit?

Your post and everyone's else really moved me. I'm in the same boat like you guys. I have 3.00 gpa and I received a C and a b- on many science prerequisites. I didn't take physics and second part of chemistry yet. I'm taking my prerequisites in September at Laguardia community college. I'm patient care worker, and I only make 11 per hr and I work 40 hours. I can't afford the college tuition. Is it possible that I can do my prerequisites on student loans?

Also how does non degree works if you go full time. Do I pay the full time tuition or by credit?

I don't know if you can get student loans post bacc. If you have a credit score of 740+ AND you are financially responsible, apply for a 0% promotional APR credit card. This will allow you to pay for multiple courses over the span of over a year without accumulating interest.

I believe you pay by the credit for courses.

I feel that you need to transition out of the "apply to PT school" mentality and back into the "complete my prerequisite" mentality. You'll save yourself a lot of stress. There is no sense in applying with that GPA and inside I'm sure you know that. You need to take a year or two to build up. KIN is a tough degree and it's difficult to pull a top GPA. You NEED to excel in your prerequisite courses. I don't think it's impossible. But as for now, I think you need to go back to the workbench. Best of luck. Stay motivated.

I don't know if you can get student loans post bacc. If you have a credit score of 740+ AND you are financially responsible, apply for a 0% promotional APR credit card. This will allow you to pay for multiple courses over the span of over a year without accumulating interest.

I believe you pay by the credit for courses.
I did a semester of pre reqs post bachelors at a CC, while I wasn't able to get Pell or any grants I was able to borrow the unsubsidized loans that I had remaining. So I would recommend at least visiting the financial aid office and asking them, worst case you know for sure and search for other loan options

Hello, there!
Thanks for your advice. I was rejected by PT schools this year, and I am going to reapply. My GPA is 3.01. Please tell me if your were accepted to St. Augustine University? Thanks again

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say don't give up! I also knew my third/fourth year of college that I wanted to do PT. But I knew my grades weren't good, I didn't have enough observation hours, wasn't close to any of my professors, and was too scared to apply to PT school. I ended up taking two years off after graduating and retaking Anatomy & Physiology. My cumulative GPA at graduation was a 3.12 and I have no idea what my prereq GPA was at that time but I had many B-'s and C's in my bio and chem prereqs. Luckily, I never attempted physics or statistics in undergrad and took those over the summer at CC during summer breaks.

Anyway, for the most part I was too much of a bum during this time to try too hard to retake prereqs. My CC Anatomy classes were like $700 a class and I also worked part time at a job that also does not pay very well. I sort of wish I had retaken intro chem to get my prereq GPA up. I think retaking Anatomy did help though. Most of my time spent out of school was spent on getting more PT observation hours.

Anyway, during this time I was able to shadow at two more PT locations (OMG so hard to find places that let you shadow someone!), but this helped me meet the requirements bc I was able to get recommendation letters from these PT's, and meet the observation hour requirements at many schools, especially since some make you do inpatient hours (hard to find).

Finally this round I applied to 12 schools! I was wait listed at 5 schools and recently got in off of one of the wait lists. I feel like if I had retaken more prereq classes and had a higher GPA I would have had a better chance to get into a state school that's more affordable. Maybe I would have also been higher on many of the wait lists, which would have improved my chances to get in as people dropped. So my advice to you if you have a low GPA is to retake some classes & get more observation hours!!

Also, choose the schools you apply to strategically. I did not apply to in-state schools in states other than the state I am from unless they specifically said they do NOT have a preference for in-staters or the acceptance rate for in-state and out-of-state was 50/50 or atleast 70/30. If the school accepts only 2% out-of-state and that's not in your state I would not apply there. Also, I applied to private schools. I also looked at the average GPA's and GRE scores for accepted student at the schools I applied to and picked ones with pretty low average GPA's, like an average of 3.2 is accepted then I would apply there. That does not mean that you can't apply to schools with higher average GPA acceptance rates though if you want to go there! And that also doesn't mean you will get in just because there average is LOW (I was flat out denied to many schools that listed the average GPA for accepted students was 3.2 or 3.3 etc.)

Don't be scared to apply! But also try to be as prepared as possible when you do! I was sad to be wait listed at so many schools, but a lot of people with low GPA's can get in. It seems more the norm for us to get in from wait lists though.

Good Luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
2.7 ugpa
4.0 post bac
4.0 pre req
4.0 math and science
GRE 161 V 160 Q
100 hrs observation

I was accepted into every school I applied including top ranked schools. I chose a State school because of low tuition. I did meet GPA requirements when ugpa was averaged with post bac.

2.7 ugpa
4.0 post bac
4.0 pre req
4.0 math and science
GRE 161 V 160 Q
100 hrs observation

I was accepted into every school I applied including top ranked schools. I chose a State school because of low tuition. I did meet GPA requirements when ugpa was averaged with post bac.

What was your overall GPA?

PTCAS does not report overall uGPA anymore. It was slightly north of 3.0. They report uGPA and Post Bac seperatly.

Were you able to apply to schools that want uGPA 3.0? Or you only applied to those looking at overall?

Were you able to apply to schools that want uGPA 3.0? Or you only applied to those looking at overall?

I only applied to schools that had 3.0 minimum. The school I am going to has 3.8 ugpa avg. I had a 4.0 post bac to raise my cumulative to 3.0x (forgot the last digit but it was less than 3.1). One school initial rejected me based on ugpa but I appealed because the post bac classes pre-2016 were reported as ugpa. I also explained that their comparable schools used cgpa. They then agreed to review the file which ultimately resulted in acceptance.

Just for clarity my Pre-req gpa, GRE, and math and science GPA are much higher than the average at any school. I compensated for having a low gpa.

The other thing I would recommend is having high responsibility experiences outside of the PT world. Show that you have developed skills necessary for success as a PT (Communication, mentorship, responsibility, empathy...). School clubs or being a PT aid are not good examples of skill developememt.

After you have hit your observation hours requirement the return diminishes quickly. Multiple settings, with a reasonable amount of time is all that matters. Being a PT aid or racking up 2000 hours is not a very productive use of time.