Applying to Podiatry School Before Completing Bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalredhead

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you only need 90 credit hours to have your application be considered, but how many people have successfully been accepted, made it through, and have a career without completing their bachelors? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I know you only need 90 credit hours to have your application be considered, but how many people have successfully been accepted, made it through, and have a career without completing their bachelors? Thoughts?
Well you need approximately 120 credit hours I believe to be eligible to graduate with a bachelors degree... that's basically one more year of classes after already doing three. I would finish the last year if possible since it would make someone a much more competitive applicant over the 90 credit minimum student.

Well you need approximately 120 credit hours I believe to be eligible to graduate with a bachelors degree... that's basically one more year of classes after already doing three. I would finish the last year if possible since it would make someone a much more competitive applicant over the 90 credit minimum student.

Can anyone verify if having a bachelors degree makes you more competitive in the application process? I know a few schools offer a bachelors to students that don't have one entering their second year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions are complex since there is such variety in applicant GPA, MCAT, degrees, work history, achievments, volunteering, personality, etc. All other things being equal they might prefer the applicant with a Bachelor's degree. All other things are usually not equal though, so if you're around 25 or older, I would just apply and see what happens. If you're still in your early 20s then you may as well just buckle down and finish the degree regardless, because if you get the whim to pick up a Master's degree or PhD or switch to MD/DO, you would almost assuredly need a Bachelor's for any of those things—so finishing off the degree now leaves you with many more potential future opportunities.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Admissions are complex since there is such variety in applicant GPA, MCAT, degrees, work history, achievments, volunteering, personality, etc. All other things being equal they might prefer the applicant with a Bachelor's degree. All other things are usually not equal though, so if you're around 25 or older, I would just apply and see what happens. If you're still in your early 20s then you may as well just buckle down and finish the degree regardless, because if you get the whim to pick up a Master's degree or PhD or switch to MD/DO, you would almost assuredly need a Bachelor's for any of those things—so finishing off the degree now leaves you with many more potential future opportunities.

Agreed, if still young enough I just figure if you've already knocked out 3 years undergrad then why not just finish the fourth, it certainly can't hurt.

On one hand it's nice to have the bachelors as a fallback in case podiatry isn't for you but on the other hand it's one fewer year of loans.
I personally don't know anyone who has matriculated to podiatry school without some kind of bachelors degree but I'm sure it's happened.

I applied and matriculated without a Bachelor's degree, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're older or have some other major reason. I certainly wouldn't recommend it just because someone is antsy about getting started with professional school or is tired of undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user

Would this prohibit an applicant from being able to do the dual degree programs through each of the 9 Podiatry schools/colleges? Like the DPM/MPH dual degrees?

Would this prohibit an applicant from being able to do the dual degree programs through each of the 9 Podiatry schools/colleges? Like the DPM/MPH dual degrees?
I think it would, but you would have to contact the school to be certain. The dual degree programs are coordinated with other departments of these universites who generally do have Bachelor's degree requirements (since they're graduate degrees) as opposed to DPM/MD/DO (professional degrees) which generally don't have Bachelor's degree requirements, even though virtually everyone applying does have a Bachelor's degree.