Applying to more than one branch for HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuckDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told by a recruiter that I cannot apply to more than one branch at one time (I think she meant in the same month). For example, she is saying I could not apply for the October board for the Navy as well as the October Board for the Air Force. I was under the impression that someone could hypothetically apply to all three branches, be offered a scholarship to all three, turn down two in favor of one branch, and then the scholarships you turned down would go to someone on the waitlist. Is that correct?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by a recruiter that I cannot apply to more than one branch at one time (I think she meant in the same month). For example, she is saying I could not apply for the October board for the Navy as well as the October Board for the Air Force. I was under the impression that someone could hypothetically apply to all three branches, be offered a scholarship to all three, turn down two in favor of one branch, and then the scholarships you turned down would go to someone on the waitlist. Is that correct?

Your recruiter cannot stop you from working with other branches. It is your future, and this decision will significantly shape your future, both financially and career-wise.

Reactions: 2 users
Your recruiter cannot stop you from working with other branches. It is your future, and this decision will significantly shape your future, both financially and career-wise.

Should I try to find another recruiter? She seemed pretty set on this idea that I only can apply to one at a time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I try to find another recruiter? She seemed pretty set on this idea that I only can apply to one at a time.

Yes. Find another one.

Reactions: 1 user

Drop that recruiter like a hot cake man.

Reactions: 2 users

This happened to me too with the Navy and the Army. The Navy was cool with it, but the Army definitely was not. I'd find another recruiter soon.

Last edited:
it's understandable that one branch would get upset, just because a lot of time goes in to each application packet. i was fortunate that my recruiters were both very professional and understanding, but that isn't always the case i suppose

you shouldn't be ''shunned''. i would definitely reach out to someone about that if you are receiving a hard time. in my opinion, if one branch gets upset, it should be motivation to try to sell their scholarship over another branch. granted, i applied when the scholarship wasn't as competitive, but still.

why the hell are you telling one branch about the other?

treat that crap like don't ask, don't tell

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the constructive input guys

why the hell are you telling one branch about the other?

treat that crap like don't ask, don't tell
They will eventually find out because you wouldn't do MEPS twice. So either way, they'd need to get the paper work.

Reactions: 3 users
it's understandable that one branch would get upset, just because a lot of time goes in to each application packet. i was fortunate that my recruiters were both very professional and understanding, but that isn't always the case i suppose

you shouldn't be ''shunned''. i would definitely reach out to someone about that if you are receiving a hard time. in my opinion, if one branch gets upset, it should be motivation to try to sell their scholarship over another branch. granted, i applied when the scholarship wasn't as competitive, but still.

It all worked out. I got the Navy scholarship and didn't end up applying with the Army.

Ha, as a recruiter I can tell you why that is. When we get a prospect selected and then they decline we have to do a bunch of extra paperwork and it also looks very bad for the recruiter that was working you (they didn't convince you to pick their branch). If the recruiter is cool with taking the chance then that is up to them. We do use government funds and time to process your packet/physical/labs/background check.

Ha, as a recruiter I can tell you why that is. When we get a prospect selected and then they decline we have to do a bunch of extra paperwork and it also looks very bad for the recruiter that was working you (they didn't convince you to pick their branch). If the recruiter is cool with taking the chance then that is up to them. We do use government funds and time to process your packet/physical/labs/background check.
It's not the recruiters place to be telling students they can't apply to more than one branch. Their role is to accomodate the recruit in filling out paperwork accurately and provide accurate information.

Reactions: 3 users

The Navy (which OP is applying to) makes the applicant get all additional medical consults on his/her own personal insurance, and the applicant is responsible for all co-pays/co-insurance, so no "government funds and time" are used for that.

The MEPS physical is universal for all branches, same with the SF-86 security clearance (for those who don't know, it is a huge document largely filled out by the applicant again).

The only service-unique thing that I can think of (in the Navy) is the interview with Navy dentists.

It's not the recruiters place to be telling students they can't apply to more than one branch. Their role is to accomodate the recruit in filling out paperwork accurately and provide accurate information.

I completely agree. I am just telling them why recruiters are scared to work with dual applicants. I have no issue with it myself and have worked a Navy/Army one just this year. Like others said above if you have a recruiter that won't work with you find another one.

Reactions: 4 users

But it is the recruiters place to prioritize people who are making their branch a priority. In the end their mission is to recruit a student - if they have two applicants and one is applying to just the Army, which one do you think they'll work with harder?

But it is the recruiters place to prioritize people who are making their branch a priority. In the end their mission is to recruit a student - if they have two applicants and one is applying to just the Army, which one do you think they'll work with harder?
But that's not the situation this recruit described. They were refused. That recruiter should be officially counseled.

Regarding "priority", there is enough time to do the paperwork for everyone. There isn't an allegorical line out the door to get into amedd

I agree with the assesment of motivations provided by armyhealth. I'm just a little more coldly "do your d--- job" in my response

But that's not the situation this recruit described. They were refused. That recruiter should be officially counseled.

Regarding "priority", there is enough time to do the paperwork for everyone. There isn't an allegorical line out the door to get into amedd

I agree with the assesment of motivations provided by armyhealth. I'm just a little more coldly "do your d--- job" in my response

Recruiters have other specialties and fields to recruit for, not just dentists. I don't think they should refuse an applicant but I would certain understand if they don't prioritize them. I imagine there are quite a few who apply to multiple branches and then pick the other branches over the Army.

Spartan - I agree with your sentiment of taking charge and making it happen for yourself. Just be careful with how you say things, you don't want to ever sound like you're talking down to an enlisted soldier. Giving you the benefit of the doubt now but just be careful with that.

Sounds like the AF my dude. I was on the same boat and the guy was all YOU MUST COMMIT TO ME. And frankly they had like 10 spots while the other branches had 50-80. So, odds are, I will fail if I only committed to him. Yes, seems like the AF is much nicer in some ways but Id rather have and HPSP scholarship than none at all…and from my research and experience with friends in the HPSP army AND navy. It’s all the same quality (+/- the PE exam, deployment and the location of the bases)