Applying to former AOA IM programs as a MD student...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a couple IM programs in FL that were previously AOA but they just converted them due to the merger. They don't seem to be great programs, which I am ok with. Will it be a waste of money applying to these programs since these PDs might discriminate against MD?

Location is my #1 criterion going to the match...

Members don't see this ad.

Highly doubt that DO PD will discriminate against MDs with similar or better scores/backgrounds.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a couple IM programs in FL that were previously AOA but they just converted them due to the merger. They don't seem to be great programs, which I am ok with. Will it be a waste of money applying to these programs since these PDs might discriminate against MD?

Location is my #1 criterion going to the match...

If you totally have your heart set on them then id consider doing an away rotation there, since thats what they are used to in the osteo world. But if youre flexible, just throw an app out and see.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only ask, because I'm more curious then anything but weren't you wanting to do psych, then switched to fm and now I'm? Any particular reason for all changing?

I mean, as people have told you you are a more competive applicant then you think unless there's something I'm unaware of

I only ask, because I'm more curious then anything but weren't you wanting to do psych, then switched to fm and now I'm? Any particular reason for all changing?

I mean, as people have told you you are a more competive applicant then you think unless there's something I'm unaware of
I was always between psych and IM (then ID)... I have decided that IM-ID will be a better fit for me... FM was a back up plan since I thought my shot at IM was not great (even if I am open to community programs).... I talked to 2 upper classmen who matched into IM this year, they both seem to think I will be fine.

As I said, I have no BIG red flag in med school so far except I took a few weeks LOA for personal reason and I also had a C in MS1...

Stop worrying and apply I'm and you'll be completely fine. Since you're an American md. I'm very confident in your chances, you should be as well.

Reactions: 1 users
If they are acgme who cares, man. You don't see to be someone consumed with going to a big name place anyways.

Worse case scenario is that you'll lose out, what, 30 bucks a pop? Small drop in the bucket.
No I am not... I just want to be a competent/compassionate doc...

I was always between psych and IM (then ID)... I have decided that IM-ID will be a better fit for me... FM was a back up plan since I thought my shot at IM was not great (even if I am open to community programs).... I talked to 2 upper classmen who matched into IM this year, they both seem to think I will be fine.

As I said, I have no BIG red flag in med school so far except I took a few weeks LOA for personal reason and I also had a C in MS1...
We're turning this into an unofficial W19 AMA. Can you explain the difference between ID and general IM?

We're turning this into an unofficial W19 AMA. Can you explain the difference between ID and general IM?

ID stands for infectious disease which is a fellowship after IM. He is referring to matching into an IM residency and then doing an ID fellowship.

Reactions: 2 users
ID stands for infectious disease which is a fellowship after IM. He is referring to matching into an IM residency and then doing an ID fellowship.
That wasn't my question. What is the difference in practice?

That wasn't my question. What is the difference in practice?

An ID's typical day is pretty much spent seeing HIV patients. They're trained to see alot more, but their roster fills up with HIV patients.