Applying to Dual AOA/ACGME Family Medicine Residencies- Which match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newkcdude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a current beginning of 4th year Osteopathic Medical student deciding if I should apply to the NMS (AOA match) in addition to the ACGME match, or only the ACGME match for family medicine. I am a dual citizen of US and Canada, so no visa issues, but want to keep my chances open of going back to Canada (which only recognizes ACGME programs), although will more than likely stay to practice in the US. Most programs that I am interested in are in the NRMP (MD) match, however to increase my chances should I also apply to the AOA match (to the dual programs only)? Also, can/should I apply to the same programs in both AOA and ACGME match (to double my chances per say) or is applying to one of the matches only better? I have a 208 USMLE step 1, 506 COMLEX 1, taking COMLEX 2 and USMLE 2 (maybe?) soon. Have good extracurriculars with no red flags and just below half for class rank. Also, anyone think it is necessary for me to take USMLE step 2? Lastly, if I apply to dual programs through AOA do they see my USMLE? I just want to make sure I end of matching somewhere that is ACGME accredited. Since I have very poor board scores (especially USMLE), I was thinking applying the AOA match to dual programs and if I get more than 10 interviews through ACGME match I will drop AOA match since it would be a nightmare to go unmatched. I appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

The dual programs in the nms seem like a much better option! You'll get to match earlier, and if you dont, you get extra time to scramble or continue with the nrmp. But at the end of the day, make sure you do 10+ interviews either ways.

Plus if you do match through nms, you get to start easing up and enjoying M4 in February!!

Reactions: 1 user
The dual programs in the nms seem like a much better option! You'll get to match earlier, and if you dont, you get extra time to scramble or continue with the nrmp. But at the end of the day, make sure you do 10+ interviews either ways.

Plus if you do match through nms, you get to start easing up and enjoying M4 in February!!
Those are all great points, thanks! Do you know if they will see my USMLE scores for the combined AOA/ACGME programs? Also, do you think my scores are competitive enough for a combined program? I currently live in Kansas, but am not picky where I go for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are all great points, thanks! Do you know if they will see my USMLE scores for the combined AOA/ACGME programs? Also, do you think my scores are competitive enough for a combined program? I currently live in Kansas, but am not picky where I go for residency.

I have no idea with the usmle reporting. It used to be that you didnt have to report it. Then they changed it to you have to report it. Then they changed it to you cant even report it to AOA-only programs even if you want to. It's a mess. Just look up the most recent policies are lol.

And I'd say you will definitely match! Remember that 10% of students matching have course failures/board failures/etc. You are miles ahead of them. But still apply broadly.

All of our unmatched comes down to applying inappropriately (eg applying to derm with a 230) or applying to too few programs (eg marginal applicant applying 30 to family med due to limited location)

I have no idea with the usmle reporting. It used to be that you didnt have to report it. Then they changed it to you have to report it. Then they changed it to you cant even report it to AOA-only programs even if you want to. It's a mess. Just look up the most recent policies are lol.

And I'd say you will definitely match! Remember that 10% of students matching have course failures/board failures/etc. You are miles ahead of them. But still apply broadly.

All of our unmatched comes down to applying inappropriately (eg applying to derm with a 230) or applying to too few programs (eg marginal applicant applying 30 to family med due to limited location)
great advice! Thanks!