Applying this upcoming cycle (July 2017), what can I do ahead of time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverDream94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am getting ready to apply schools this July once the application opens up (hoping that I get accepted to be the incoming class of Fall 2018). What can I/should I be doing at this very moment? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-I've already begun studying for my OATs so that I can take them either July or August

-Currently work as a tech for an office with 2 doctors (~6 months), but I have experiences shadowing other doctors (~30-40 hours) , volunteering with VOSH, as well as participating in a 2 week long medical mission with an opto clinic (30 hours towards opto related training and preparation + 60 hours of shadowing)

**I am always trying to broaden my experiences, so this is ongoing!**

-Started to slowly reach out to those whom I would like to receive a LOR from

- Built my list of schools I am interested in & made sure I will have all the preqs fulfilled

I am graduating with a BS in biology and Human Rights minor Spring 2017, but I also attended community college in high school prior to 4 years of undergrad. When should I start collecting my transcripts and sending them? Is it too early to start my personal statement?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

When are you thinking of applying? It's never too early to start your personal statement! That thing took me months to complete.

I would start formulating a plan. If you already know which schools you want to apply to, look at their deadlines for things. You can probably start getting your high school and community college transcripts, but then you would have to hold on to them until July anyway, so maybe you can wait on that. It doesn't take too long. Your undergrad transcript won't show your last semester/quarter, so that may not be helpful either.

I would just focus on finishing your last few months of undergrad while studying for the OAT if you can, especially if you plan to take it early. Ask for LORs early. If you want to submit your app in July or August, I would ask for the LOR 2 months in advance. The letter writers will need to submit to OptomCAS directly once they're done (unless things have changed).

Hope this helps.