Applying for backup in addition to PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bandwagon1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since PM&R has gotten a lot competitive nowadays I hear from so many people that it's unwise to apply to just PM&R and that you should also apply for a backup as well such as FM. However, I can't see myself doing any other specialty and was wondering if it would be foolish of me to just apply PM&R. I have pretty good stats, but I have no research or publications. I'm currently doing a few PM&R rotations and I love it.

Stats: COMLEX Level 1: 680+, STEP 1: 245+, COMLEX PE: Passed on 1st try, COMLEX Level 2: 700+

What do you guys think? Do you think it would be okay if I just applied to **** load of PM&R programs to compensate for not applying to a backup? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No you don't need to apply to another field. I'd recommend just applying to PM&R if that's truly what you want to do.

Always a good idea to apply to a good amount of programs. You can always cancel interviews later on if you get too many invites.

BTW, who are you talking to that made you think you need a backup? Just looking at your board scores you will be fine. However we all know the application is much more detailed than just board scores and these are mainly used as a screening tool. Make sure you have a good application overall, a good personal statement, all LOR's in on time, good interview / personal skills etc.

If you don't completely screw up your match strategy or look like Bran on the most recent episode of GoT on interviews, I'd be absolutely shocked if you don't match somewhere.

BTW..."research" doesn't have to be a publication in the New England Journal of Medicine. It doesn't even have to be something you put down on your resume, as you are running out of time for that. But "research" was a question that I received on EVERY interview I attended. I'd have an answer to the question. Be involved in SOMETHING you are interested in just to reassure programs that you are capable and willing to do research. PD's aren't idiots. They know that DO's are at a huge advantage in regards to getting research under their belts. But they also know that research is an ACGME requirement and they want someone who is at least assertive enough to get fulfill their graduation requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)