Applying again after intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

infinitydoc3

Hi, I'm a Canadian from London, Ontario. I went to St Georges for Med school and I just matched into a categorical IM program in Florida but would like to apply for another specialty. Due to visa issues, I wasn't able to apply to Emergency Medicine (since EM in Canada is a 5 year program) but I have since figured that out and will not require a visa anymore. So I tried going on resident swap to see if anyone in an EM program was looking to switch into an IM program but that doesn't seem likely. So it seems my only other option is to finish my PGY1 year while applying again this year again. So I'm curious if anyone has any guidance on this? I'll be looking to talk to my PD about this soon so but if anyone has any experience about this I'd really appreciate it. Would having done a year of residency look favorable as in a prelim candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a Canadian from London, Ontario. I went to St Georges for Med school and I just matched into a categorical IM program in Florida but would like to apply for another specialty. Due to visa issues, I wasn't able to apply to Emergency Medicine (since EM in Canada is a 5 year program) but I have since figured that out and will not require a visa anymore. So I tried going on resident swap to see if anyone in an EM program was looking to switch into an IM program but that doesn't seem likely. So it seems my only other option is to finish my PGY1 year while applying again this year again. So I'm curious if anyone has any guidance on this? I'll be looking to talk to my PD about this soon so but if anyone has any experience about this I'd really appreciate it. Would having done a year of residency look favorable as in a prelim candidate?
Cross posted here:

Should I apply again after Intern Year??

Status
Not open for further replies.