Apply to Pharm this cycle or next? Advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathways

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,
I am trying to figure out if I should apply to pharm schools this cycle or wait until 2018-2019 cycle. I took the PCAT and did well. I then decided to take the pre-req courses for pharm school and I have created a schedule in which I will begin this summer '17 with a full load of courses and complete all pre-reqs in summer '18. I am unsure if I should apply this cycle because the application is due beginning of November for my schools of interest. In November 2017 I will only have completed 5 courses. Interviews are offered Dec-Jan, at which time I will be able to update my academic record in PharmCAS and add my grades for 4 additional classes. But will schools invite me for interviews if I still have to take half of the pre-reqs?
I am not afraid of taking large loads of classes at a time; I am confident I can do well because I have studied all the topics for the PCAT and did well. I am also willing to quit my daytime job to dedicate myself to school and complete the required courses by September 2018 before starting the Fall '18 Pharm term. What do you all think? What does PharmCAS show the schools in Nov/Dec-Jan? Do schools see only cGPA & sGPA or do they also see units?
On the other hand, if I wait to apply for the next cycle I can take 2/3 classes without the need to quit employment. I am open to this if my chances of gaining acceptance in 2017-2018 are slim; I just don't like the idea of entering school older.
Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, this plan may work out if you are able to register for all of your classes. In my case back in undergrad, it was difficult registering for classes, because everyone wanted to take them and there was always a waitlist. Some people had to wait a semester. So if your schedule works out, then I don't see a problem applying the 2017-2018 cycle.

When you apply, make sure you are currently taking a few of the pre-reqs in your Fall semester and included the expected courses for Spring semester. Let's say 2017, you take 2 classes. You get in by February of 2018. You finish the rest of your pre-reqs, considering that you pass all of them.

Reactions: 1 user