Apply for 2016-2017 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddmhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in a dilemma regarding the application process. I'm reading all these threads and looking up class stats and I feel really iffy about my chances. My science GPA is a 2.4 (at best), but I'm taking a bunch of science classes this year to hopefully boost it up, but not in time for it to show on my application. My overall GPA is a 3.2. One semester of college I was going through a lot of personal problems and got a (1.7GPA), but ever since then, I've been consistently getting >3.5 and have been on Dean's List ever since that semester. Obviously bringing it back up has been pretty difficult. I'm taking my DATs in October and am banking on a 22/23. I was thinking if I should just apply next year and apply for a masters program where I could replace most of my poor science grades. For reference, I only recently got into shadowing and because of my poor science grades, I haven't had the chance to develop close relationships with my science professors so I wouldn't be able to get good LoRs from them. I do a good amount of research and have good ECs at school. Someone please enlighten me.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have been showing an upward trend then there's a possibility although many schools have a 2.75 sgpa cutoff which you will have to call in to confirm. Some schools may overlook the cutoff if they know you have been doing very well in your last 60 units. Again I would still call just to make sure so you don't accidentally spend money for an application that won't even be considered.

However, you also mentioned you don't have good LOR's and this coupled with your GPA will probably make you get passed over at admissions. I would apply next year. Use this year to strengthen relationships for strong LOR's, shadow some more, research your top choice for school, and take some more classes to continue your upward trend. Taking the master's this year also won't be bad if you can maintain a 4.0 GPA to bring your sGPA up to 2.75.

There's a big difference between taking a few science classes and taking a structured SMP or post-bac, which you would highly benefit from. Your low GPA, coupled with a DAT score that would be very late, isn't a recipe for success at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's best for you to wait a year and get your SGPA up. You'd also have more time to study for the DAT and get good LORs!

I was in a similar situation last year and felt bad for not being ready to apply when everyone else I knew was. With that being said, I waited because I knew that my sgpa and overall gpa needed to be raised. I used that as motivation all year long along with studying rigorously for the dat and took it once my spring semester ended and filled out my app as soon as I could. Now, I have two interviews in September and I couldn't be happier.

I would suggest to above all focus on strengthening your app as much as you academics-wise first and if you can on volunteering/employment & healthcare activities

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks everyone for your input! I got into a huge fight with my parents over this because they keep saying that I have nothing to lose, which I guess is true. I might just end up applying for both (to appease them) and maybe, with a VERY small chance, I'll get an interview... but I genuinely think that the better path for me (like many of you said) is to focus on raising my sGPA and oGPA during my senior year of college and also during a post-bac. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

You're better off waiting. Just be prepared to explain what you learned as a re-applicant if you do go ahead and apply because it you'll most likely won't get in this cycle. Best of luck to you

I wholeheartedly agree with your parents especially if they're willing to pay for your applications lol. Then you really don't have nothing to lose. But also be aware of what @BeaverLover said bc you'll have to explain if you don't get im

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile