Applications now open for Navy FY18 Specialty Training DUINS board.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vellnueve

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/ENotes/BUMEDNOTE 1520 9 Mar 2017.pdf

Above reference details the process very well. Current third year students who would like to do specialty immediately after graduation should be applying now. Obviously fourth year students and current active duty dentists will be applying as well.

Note the due date of 01 May results in a shorter timeframe than previous years (usually the BUMEDNOTE is released in Jan or Feb.) If you are serious about wanting residency training you'll need to start ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a 3-yr orders to Camp Pendleton AEGD. Am I eligible to apply as well, i.e. would they let me cut my orders early to attend specialty training?

You can apply but having orders is a knock against your package. If you really want to do a specialty I'd apply anyway, they have cut orders short in the past, although with the budget issues today that is less likely.

Members don't see this ad :)
also for the letters of evaluation, does it have to be from a faculty in dental school or can it bet any practicing dentist?

thank you

do you have the newest 1520_16 and 1520_17 form? The link posted on this website (http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmpdc/professional-development/SitePages/Dental Post Graduate Programs.aspx) directed me to a page where I need to update my flash player even though I have the newest flash player installed.

Can't do it on your phone.

Try a different browser, right click and save as or save target as.

also for the letters of evaluation, does it have to be from a faculty in dental school or can it bet any practicing dentist?

thank you

Faculty. At least one in the specialty you are applying for. I suppose you could submit from a random dentist but they're not going to really consider it

I noticed the CBSE is strongly recommended. Do people get in to OMS without taking it? Or is it basically a mandatory part of the application?

I noticed the CBSE is strongly recommended. Do people get in to OMS without taking it? Or is it basically a mandatory part of the application?

People do get it in without taking it. The Navy inservice programs do not strictly require it as noted. I believe it is because they are not going to force a 12-year LCDR/CDR who graduated over a decade ago and had a numeric board score to take the CBSE either - they'd be at a clear disadvantage against those coming out of school, having been so far removed from the school environment and those classes. At the same time, if you're a dental student and don't take it, I believe that could hurt your application.These are my opinions, however, and are not necessarily representative of what the actual thought process is. I do know that I had a good numeric NBDE score, but the year that I was successful in being selected, I had also taken the CBSE (once) and scored reasonably well under the circumstances.

In years where they take OMFS outservice applicants, I believe a CBSE score is essentially mandatory for applicants to be considered for FTOS, since very few civilian programs will interview someone without a CBSE score (now that the exceedingly vast majority of applicants no longer have numeric board scores). That doesn't happen every year, though.

Reactions: 1 user