Application Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippopolice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Family Medicine PGY-2 planning on applying in the next cycle. I have additional sports rotations in June and October. Is it reasonable to add LORs on a rolling basis as I do these rotations, or should I just get what I can prior to these.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Family Medicine PGY-2 planning on applying in the next cycle. I have additional sports rotations in June and October. Is it reasonable to add LORs on a rolling basis as I do these rotations, or should I just get what I can prior to these.
By the end of October interviews are pretty much offered. I can't really recall getting invites past early October at the latest.

Programs are busy just prior to football season and during it. Unfortunately, that can run all the way to december (depending on how good the team is), and rank submission is usually in december.

Programs generally want to wrap this up a month prior to submission, i.e. november. I would doubt very many programs interview this late, meaning October is key month. Also, interviews are offered late september, so if your app isn't complete w/ all LORs by then, then it may not work for you..

Members don't see this ad :)
ERAS opens in July. Get your LOR's ready in the summer. October is too late.

I agree with the above but if you get new LORs you can always submit them and call the programs to inform them of the change. Some will again pull your app and if they have interview spots that need filling from cancelations, unfilled interview spots, etc it is possible that they may offer short notice, late season interviews. It could not hurt but probably won't help.