Application Timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noctámbulo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do MD/PhD application reviews begin around the same time as the MD cycle? Just checked a few schools and realized they don't begin reviewing until Sept. Wondering if there's a little more leeway with timeline for getting these apps in. What completion date would be considered "early" for MD/PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

I consider applications received by August 15 to be early; between August 15 and September 30 to be on time; and those between October 1 and 31 to be late. Other programs may have a different timeline, but I have yet to hear of a program getting excited about the the slug of applications (~20% of the total) that arrives in the two weeks before their application deadline.

Reactions: 2 users
I consider applications received by August 15 to be early; between August 15 and September 30 to be on time; and those between October 1 and 31 to be late. Other programs may have a different timeline, but I have yet to hear of a program getting excited about the the slug of applications (~20% of the total) that arrives in the two weeks before their application deadline.
Excellent! That's much better than I anticipated (as I would not consider mid-August particularly early for a straight-MD application).

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent! That's much better than I anticipated (as I would not consider mid-August particularly early for a straight-MD application).
Since MD-PhD programs do everything from cradle (recruiting & admissions) to grave (alumni outreach), we generally cannot focus much attention on application review until we get our entering class settled into place. (MD admissions offices, by contrast, actually have slow times when not much is going on.) We do start reading applications in July, but the heavy lifting starts in mid-August.

Reactions: 1 user
Since MD-PhD programs do everything from cradle (recruiting & admissions) to grave (alumni outreach), we generally cannot focus much attention on application review until we get our entering class settled into place. (MD admissions offices, by contrast, actually have slow times when not much is going on.) We do start reading applications in July, but the heavy lifting starts in mid-August.

Oh, I see. That makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to clarify what goes on behind the scenes!

Just to clarify, are you referring to primary applications received or secondaries?

As someone who will be submitting their primary application today, is that too late?

No... Make sure that your transcripts and LORs are submitted to AMCAS soon. The AMCAS verification process takes 3-6 weeks depending upon the volume of applications at that moment and whether school transcripts were received on time. Once verified, programs then see your application. Thus, a July 26 submission might be visible to programs until August 30. I believe that the dates posted by Maebea are times when an application is visible to the program. Admission committees might take 1-4 weeks to process the application, and then is up to how many slots are available for interviews.

Reactions: 1 user