Anyone using ipad pro for studying/reading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmaderm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I just want to ask if any of you use ipad pro for reading and note taking during residency
Is it comfortable?and what size did you pick? The 9.7' or 12.9'

Recently i sold my video game collection and amassed 1400$ and plan to buy one for reading since i have access to clinical key and have most of dermatology elsevier books (bolognia, andrews, wolverton, etc) in pdf format i think it will be more practical to bring an ipad than a few heavy textbooks

I will still use my macbook air for general typing and more serious work,

Tl;dr please share your experience with using ipad pro 12.9 as reading device and if it is a good idea

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys
I just want to ask if any of you use ipad pro for reading and note taking during residency
Is it comfortable?and what size did you pick? The 9.7' or 12.9'

Recently i sold my video game collection and amassed 1400$ and plan to buy one for reading since i have access to clinical key and have most of dermatology elsevier books (bolognia, andrews, wolverton, etc) in pdf format i think it will be more practical to bring an ipad than a few heavy textbooks

I will still use my macbook air for general typing and more serious work,

Tl;dr please share your experience with using ipad pro 12.9 as reading device and if it is a good idea

Thank you

I think it's a great idea

Given the size of some of the charts/tables in textbooks (particularly Bolognia), I would generally recommend the largest screen you can afford. Whether or not you want to bring it to clinic is up to you as I've found expensive toys tend to wander in clinics unfortunately. I think it would be a great option to study with at home or on the road instead of lugging around heavy textbooks.

I'm not much of a note taker so I couldn't comment on how well the iPad functions if you like taking notes or highlighting. My study system was always a simpler "read it and then read it again" philosophy so I think having a device like the iPad allows you to carry multiple texts wherever you go.

Where did you get bolognia pdf if you don't mind me asking (I own the textbook just too big to cart around)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get bolognia pdf if you don't mind me asking (I own the textbook just too big to cart around)?

I download it from clinicalkey but clinical key only allow to download per chapter, so what i did is download all chapter and compile it as 2 pdf files with adobe acrobat pro.

ImageUploadedBySDN1489056187.688452.jpg

Or

You can also get the digital version via inkling bookstore, i believed that you got this one for free when you but the physical books

I think it's a great idea

Given the size of some of the charts/tables in textbooks (particularly Bolognia), I would generally recommend the largest screen you can afford. Whether or not you want to bring it to clinic is up to you as I've found expensive toys tend to wander in clinics unfortunately. I think it would be a great option to study with at home or on the road instead of lugging around heavy textbooks.

I'm not much of a note taker so I couldn't comment on how well the iPad functions if you like taking notes or highlighting. My study system was always a simpler "read it and then read it again" philosophy so I think having a device like the iPad allows you to carry multiple texts wherever you go.

That's exactly my thought. But i want to know the experience from people also use the device. Do you happen to use ipad pro 12.9 for this purpose?

My bad triple post because of bad conection

Last edited:
My bad triple post because of bad connection

Last edited: