General Admissions & OTCAS Anyone know of OT programs around $50K? Or less?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OT_Dreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm disappointed that I didn't get into any OT programs this year. I'm an older applicant so I don't have the luxury of time or money at this point. As much as I really enjoyed interviewing at expensive private schools that had great faculty-student relationships and smaller classrooms, I've come to a point where I need to just focus on finding programs that are affordable.

I can move anywhere, so location doesn't matter as long as it's in a safe area. Does anyone out there know of programs that are around $50K or less?

Thank you so, so much.

Members don't see this ad.

East Carolina university and Winston Salem State University are both very cheap for in-state students. I'm not sure how it is for out-of-state, but it's probably pretty affordable!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I would look for in-state schools in the state that you live in or have residency in. For example, I live in California, so Cal State Dominguez Hills and San Jose State are great options for an affordable program. For California, Cal States schools generally have similar tuition (the fees differ per school), but specifically to Cal State Dominguez Hills, it cost $4,300 per semester (There are 7 semesters in total). In addition, in California, depending on your financial aid, most if not all of your tuition is paid for by state grants. So I would really look into the state schools in the state that you live in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
University of Illinois is 52,000. I heard that there is so many schools in texas that are cheap and cost of living is very low. Salus in Pennsylvania is 56,000 as well.

Thanks, everyone! I'm looking into all those schools right now. If anyone else wants to contribute, please feel free. Researching affordable schools will be an ongoing task for the next few months.

Salus is now like 60,000 but if you want to go there you need to apply super early! The admissions person said that he was very impressed with my application and asked me for tips to provide other applicants (could have just been a trick interview question) but they couldn't offer me a spot because the class was already full (this was late Feb I think). I was on the standby list and I hear they have A LOT of movement so it's possible I would have got off if I didn't deny my spot. Long story short, apply to them early! They also only have like 3 days of class a week so it may be easier to swing a few more hours at a part time job.

Many In state Public School are LIKELY to be around this tuition range or less.

Salus is now like 60,000 but if you want to go there you need to apply super early! The admissions person said that he was very impressed with my application and asked me for tips to provide other applicants (could have just been a trick interview question) but they couldn't offer me a spot because the class was already full (this was late Feb I think). I was on the standby list and I hear they have A LOT of movement so it's possible I would have got off if I didn't deny my spot. Long story short, apply to them early! They also only have like 3 days of class a week so it may be easier to swing a few more hours at a part time job.
Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to look into Salus. I also made the mistake of applying way too late to all my schools, so I'll be sure to submit everything very early this time around. Btw, I think I remember talking to you in another thread! What school did you end up choosing?

Many In state Public School are LIKELY to be around this tuition range or less.
Thanks! I'm from CA so the only schools less than $50K are SJSU and CSUDH. I'm definitely open to moving out of state if there are other programs outside of CA for around that price range.

Worcester State in MA is in the $30's for the entire program for in and out of state but their class size is tiny.

I will be starting Missouri State's masters program in the fall. It is around 47,000 for out of state. This does not include your living expenses though. They just received accreditation a couple of weeks ago and are an excellent facility and faculty. Springfield is also reasonable rent and cost of living wise.

Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to look into Salus. I also made the mistake of applying way too late to all my schools, so I'll be sure to submit everything very early this time around. Btw, I think I remember talking to you in another thread! What school did you end up choosing?

Well best of luck! I ended up picking MUSC. I was lucky and got into most of my schools. TJU, MUSC, and Towson were the cheapest options for me and hovered around the same price. I ended up picking MUSC because of cost of living, better location, and program organization compared to TJU and Towson (of course this is all just my subjective opinion).

I know Univ of Illinois is cheap
Western Michigan University is under 50k, at the Grand rapids campus, for out of state residents

University of Illinois is 52,000. I heard that there is so many schools in texas that are cheap and cost of living is very low. Salus in Pennsylvania is 56,000 as well.
If you want to get in-state for UIC, you'll need to live in IL and hold a job for at least one year before school-- this is how you can establish residency and get that lower tuition. :D Their website should have more info on establishing residency.

If you want to get in-state for UIC, you'll need to live in IL and hold a job for at least one year before school-- this is how you can establish residency and get that lower tuition. :D Their website should have more info on establishing residency.

Steer clear of Chicago State University. I think their program had major problems. Super cheap. Not great pass rates on the NBCOT, and I am not sure if they are still shut down.
Cheaper schools:
Any big land grant university (think Big 10 shcools): Ohio State, UWisconsin, UMinn, UofI, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State. Establishing residency is actually pretty easy, if you have any links to any of these states, go work for a year, and save 50-60k on your tuition.

Steer clear of Chicago State University. I think their program had major problems. Super cheap. Not great pass rates on the NBCOT, and I am not sure if they are still shut down.
Cheaper schools:
Any big land grant university (think Big 10 shcools): Ohio State, UWisconsin, UMinn, UofI, Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State. Establishing residency is actually pretty easy, if you have any links to any of these states, go work for a year, and save 50-60k on your tuition.
I think gaining residency depends on the state. Apparently NC has caught wind of students moving to the state and trying to establish residency to get in-sate tuition and now its almost impossible to obtain if you didn't grow up there.

I think gaining residency depends on the state. Apparently NC has caught wind of students moving to the state and trying to establish residency to get in-sate tuition and now its almost impossible to obtain if you didn't grow up there.

Yikes. From my own experience in other situations, and observing friends, it is relatively easy to get residency in most states. I had no idea NC was so strict!! That's good that applicants know that now.

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center has affordable instate and out of state tuition. I am from out of state and they are very generous with scholarships. If you are from out of state and are given a scholarship you then qualify for in state tuition for that year which is something like 20k less! It's a great university and program located in a safe city that has a cheap cost of living. Hope this helps! Best of luck!

hi! I noticed someone recommended Salus to you. They are closer to 63k total. I am going there this fall! The program is great though! 100% pass rate and everyone I know that goes there loves it. But apply early! I had my application in by the end of August. Good luck!!

Salem State in MA is 38k for instate students (I will be starting in the fall). I think around 47-50k for out of state. However, it is part time so that could be a pro or con depending on whether you want to work during it. Salem is not expensive for living either and its a great little town on the water.

University of New Mexico is less than 50,00 for out of staters (if you become a resident y2). I think around $48,00! However you need to be a resident of a participating WICHE state to even apply.