Anyone know of anyone who failed out of podiatry or med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

I know I need to be confident that I'll work hard and stay on top of my studies if I get in, but it's my secret fear that I'll fail out too. It's not like people who fail out of med school don't work hard either. Every school has about 15-20% of students that don't graduate for whatever reason. Now I know that some of those dropped out for various reasons, but still. Anyone else feel similar?

I'm applying with around a 3.0 GPA and it concerns me if I can handle med school. Did I get a 3.0 because I wasn't smart enough? Was it because I didn't work hard enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know I need to be confident that I'll work hard and stay on top of my studies if I get in, but it's my secret fear that I'll fail out too. It's not like people who fail out of med school don't work hard either. Every school has about 15-20% of students that don't graduate for whatever reason. Now I know that some of those dropped out for various reasons, but still. Anyone else feel similar?

I'm applying with around a 3.0 GPA and it concerns me if I can handle med school. Did I get a 3.0 because I wasn't smart enough? Was it because I didn't work hard enough?
This is my exact fear too. Hoping for some words of encouragement!

Reactions: 1 users
This is my secret fear too! My sGPA was a 2.85, and I'll be starting school in the fall.
mitrieD - Do you plan on applying this current cycle or waiting until the next one opens in August?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys just have to remember that if you got in, admissions at least thinks you're capable of "passing". Between the school itself and friends/peers you should be able to find the resources capable of being successful.

Take the percentage of people that "don't graduate for whatever reason" with a grain of salt. Half of them probably aren't even academic related. People in med/podiatry school are in their mid 20s... life happens and people are at the age where they can't escape things such as family problems, financial problems, a random on-the-spot revelation, so on so forth.

Look up schools for their curriculum and do a little research. If you're confident you can at the very least handle the material then go for it!

Reactions: 4 users
I wanted to share some advice I received from a well respected 4th year student who matched into a program on my radar!!!

"Study your ass off to get the best GPA possible, and do some tutoring your 2nd year (especially in Lower anatomy) which will help you study for boards part 1.
- Go to tutor sessions your first year. They will help you out tremendously.
- Join a couple of clubs
- I would say having a GPA over 3.0 will get you externships at 95% of the programs, have over or around 3.5, and you'll get every one you apply for.

Once on Externships, work hard, help the residents out, and don't complain,. Have supplies when rounding, and ask to write any progress notes for them.
- And finally, Just be NORMAl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The people in my class who don't have spots right now were either lazy, or have the worst personalities."

For those of us that did match on Monday, it's an impressive list landing all over the country at top level programs.

These were some highlights of advice they gave me!

Reactions: 7 users
A significant number of those who start podiatry school but don't graduate in four years are made up of people who (1) leave podiatry school to attend DO/MD school or (2) take a leave of absence and graduate in 5 or 6 years instead.

People may fail out but it's not as many people as the numbers make it appear.

If it's something you're truly concerned about then check the policies of your potential schools before you commit. Some are more lenient than others and may give you some chances to repeat some classes if you fail them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

As noted, most of the graduation rates not being 100% are due to extenuating circumstances. At my school, three students did not pass on from semester 1 to semester 2. One student found out she was pregnant, taking a year off, will rejoin the class of 2021.
One student found out a family member back home was terminally ill, took the semester off to support family.
One student straight up failed and (I believe) is not coming back.

When looking at graduation rates, remember- a lot can happen in four years. Most of the students who don't graduate in four years are of the first two students described- some extenuating life circumstance. The other point I'd make.... the stats of 'how many graduate in four years, get residency match, etc'- those numbers matter very little if YOU fail or YOU don't match. So it all comes down to personal accountability.

As far as your 3.0- I find that no matter how hard I work, I know I can always work harder. To this day I still haven't hit my max. I keep finding a new ceiling.

Worrying about it is irrelevant. Your GPA, MCAT, where you went to undergrad, who your dad is, what frat you were in, how much research you did and with who- all of that is irrelevant once you're accepted. No one cares.
The playing field is leveled and everybody starts at the same point. You're the same as everyone else on day one until the 1st exam.

The people who fail out are the ones that don't have that fear. No matter what anyone tells you... we all have it.
The student who failed out from our class.. I didn't get the sense that he/she was not smart or lazy. I just think he/she lacked certain basic living skills, social skills, and ability to ask for help/ take advice. This person was given advice and repeatedly went against it multiple times. I also got the sense he/she didn't want to be here.

So basically. Take advice from professors and 2nd years, work hard, and as has been said- get a tutor. The tutor (in my experience) helps not so much with explaining concepts, but saying 'OK, definitely need to know this, here is a good trick', or 'Don't bother learning this' or 'this was definitely a detail you need to know'. Makes studying more efficient and high yield.

TL;DR- Graduation rates don't matter much, if you're truly afraid of dropping out, you won't.

Reactions: 6 users
As noted, most of the graduation rates not being 100% are due to extenuating circumstances. At my school, three students did not pass on from semester 1 to semester 2. One student found out she was pregnant, taking a year off, will rejoin the class of 2021.
One student found out a family member back home was terminally ill, took the semester off to support family.
One student straight up failed and (I believe) is not coming back.

When looking at graduation rates, remember- a lot can happen in four years. Most of the students who don't graduate in four years are of the first two students described- some extenuating life circumstance. The other point I'd make.... the stats of 'how many graduate in four years, get residency match, etc'- those numbers matter very little if YOU fail or YOU don't match. So it all comes down to personal accountability.

As far as your 3.0- I find that no matter how hard I work, I know I can always work harder. To this day I still haven't hit my max. I keep finding a new ceiling.

Worrying about it is irrelevant. Your GPA, MCAT, where you went to undergrad, who your dad is, what frat you were in, how much research you did and with who- all of that is irrelevant once you're accepted. No one cares.
The playing field is leveled and everybody starts at the same point. You're the same as everyone else on day one until the 1st exam.

The people who fail out are the ones that don't have that fear. No matter what anyone tells you... we all have it.
The student who failed out from our class.. I didn't get the sense that he/she was not smart or lazy. I just think he/she lacked certain basic living skills, social skills, and ability to ask for help/ take advice. This person was given advice and repeatedly went against it multiple times. I also got the sense he/she didn't want to be here.

So basically. Take advice from professors and 2nd years, work hard, and as has been said- get a tutor. The tutor (in my experience) helps not so much with explaining concepts, but saying 'OK, definitely need to know this, here is a good trick', or 'Don't bother learning this' or 'this was definitely a detail you need to know'. Makes studying more efficient and high yield.

TL;DR- Graduation rates don't matter much, if you're truly afraid of dropping out, you won't.

Okay. Thanks for the encouragement. You are right that I can always work harder. It's just sometimes I hear horror stories of people who fail out of med school and I can't imagine what that must feel like. I'll just try to keep positive.

Okay. Thanks for the encouragement. You are right that I can always work harder. It's just sometimes I hear horror stories of people who fail out of med school and I can't imagine what that must feel like. I'll just try to keep positive.
Same here! The thought of failing out to me sounds like the end of the world (to me). I can't imagine how embarrassed and disappointed I would feel for myself and my family. I'm going to try not to focus on that when I start school, but it will be in the back of my mind and I hope propel me to study hard.

Reactions: 2 users
Same here! The thought of failing out to me sounds like the end of the world (to me). I can't imagine how embarrassed and disappointed I would feel for myself and my family. I'm going to try not to focus on that when I start school, but it will be in the back of my mind and I hope propel me to study hard.
We Got This!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

Sounds like a lot of pressure to put on yourself.

Lol...

It's usually for personal & good reasons though. There was a thread here where a former active member "dropped out" (not failed out; just decided not to return) and he's doing really well for himself and he's very happy. Much happier than when he was in pod school or medicine as a whole. He was an ambassador for his pod school, was a chem major in undergrad with good grades and a 30+ mcat.

Dropping wouldn't be the end of world. And dropping out shouldn't be a horror story. It's usually personal reasons why people drop out though. Think of how we say if a school calls you for an interview, they probably saw something they liked about you. Same way if you can get in, then you can finish unless you realized this isn't for you and head for another path or you just ignore your studies completely and fail out.

I'm a 1st year at KSUCPM and know a few who failed out. Every one of them either had no motivation or was just plain lazy. It's not hard at all to pass (although you need to work hard), although A's can be challenging. Our class has definitely thinned out over the year, but the people I know who are motivated and hard workers (barring extenuating cirumstances) are still here and going strong. So long as you come ready to work, you are unlikely to fail out.

Just remember not to get complacent. At least at our school, 1st semester was the appetizer. 2nd semester was when things got real - not impossible by any means but you will need to work hard.

Reactions: 3 users
How common is it for pod students to be accepted to MD/DO programs? I would think MD/DO programs don't like to poach from other professional schools.

A significant number of those who start podiatry school but don't graduate in four years are made up of people who (1) leave podiatry school to attend DO/MD school or (2) take a leave of absence and graduate in 5 or 6 years instead.

People may fail out but it's not as many people as the numbers make it appear.

If it's something you're truly concerned about then check the policies of your potential schools before you commit. Some are more lenient than others and may give you some chances to repeat some classes if you fail them.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

It's not hard at all to pass (although you need to work hard), although A's can be challenging.

This. If you simply go to class and pay attention, sprinkle in a very very modest study schedule, you'll probably pass all your classes. Every point above failing, however, requires an exponential investment of effort, imo.

Reactions: 3 users
Towards the beginning of my Podiatry education, I considered moving over to DO. I had the stats for it and a lot of my ECs were tailored for it as it was my original plan (shadowed a DO and had a LOR, had volunteering hours etc.) but ultimately decided to stick with Podiatry as I felt it was a good fit for me and my career goals.

Having contacted several schools, they pretty much said that so long as your app is solid and you have a decent reason for switching, you were fine. They do scrutinize you more though.

How common is it for pod students to be accepted to MD/DO programs? I would think MD/DO programs don't like to poach from other professional schools.

Towards the beginning of my Podiatry education, I considered moving over to DO. I had the stats for it and a lot of my ECs were tailored for it as it was my original plan (shadowed a DO and had a LOR, had volunteering hours etc.) but ultimately decided to stick with Podiatry as I felt it was a good fit for me and my career goals.

Having contacted several schools, they pretty much said that so long as your app is solid and you have a decent reason for switching, you were fine. They do scrutinize you more though.
Also worth nothing they won't take any credits. Might be better off spending $ on a post bacc program, retaking low grade undergrad courses, or an MCAT prep course. All of those would be equal or less time to 1 year of pod school, and would probably all be less than the $40k. Not to mention less stress.

I believe we had at least 2 leave during orientation week to attend MD or DO schools and 2 more left later on in the year. That's that I know of. So that's 4% of our class gone for that reason within one year. I think Temple's 6 year graduation rate is something like 93%. We're only one year through and we've lost 4% already to MD/DO programs. People may still back out in 2nd year or 3rd year to go to MD/DO school which would increase that. So those 4 people may not seem like a lot, but statistically those four are more than half of what our class will lose. So, like I said, leaving for MD/DO schools counts for a significant portion of people who don't finish DPM school.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

This is my exact fear too. Hoping for some words of encouragement!
Analyse your academic weaknesses. Is it math or chemistry? Is it reading quickly with comprehension? Get help. Use tutors, online study apps, or teacher input. There is no secret. There is only creating a study routine, effective comprehension, memory, stress control, and getting academic help. Finally, the whole effort has to be worth it to you as a person.