Anyone just not hearing back yet or having issues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentDentistsRock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First, I mailed my Upenn secondary application on August 7th. I called the school yesterday and asked if they received my application yet but they said no. I was talking to the lady on the phone and told her that I live in Philadelphia and it shouldn't take two weeks for them to get my secondary (not to mention my envelope was shipped first class). She blatantly laughed at me and told me mail takes a "loooong" time. I mailed papers to ADEA for the partial fee waiver and heard back from them within a few days. What gives? I suspected my envelope was lost somehow but it wasn't returned to me via the return address.

My DAT scores were verified just recently and they said they received those. My application is pretty much complete now but I haven't heard from any schools yet and I'm starting I get really ansy especially seeing others get interviews already. My app is complete at all schools I applied to except Upenn and Rutgers (checks for secondary fees are currently in mail) and I'm waiting to hear back but nothing. It's so stressful. I applied to Rutgers, Maryland, temple, Upenn, Harvard, Columbia, And Pitt.

Any pointers during these stressful times? I'm trying to be as patient as possible but some schools are having a hard time updating my application status. For Harvard, Columbia, Pitt, and temple, App is 100% complete.

Penn and Rutgers waiting on mailed stuff.

Maryland: I haven't received that secondary app that people talk about with the 2x2 photo or whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

i would resend. the mail shouldn't take over a few days. Its either lost or misplaced.

I feel like problems that schools have are coming from switching to a new system or something, making them slower

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in ny and mailed my supplementary fee/application to upenn on august 7th. I haven't heard anything about confirming application either. however both rutgers and unc (which i mailed in supplementary fees/application on same day as upenn) have confirmed my application.

maybe upenn takes longer to process things? I think it would be a little strange if both of our forms/fee were not received

I live in ny and mailed my supplementary fee/application to upenn on august 7th. I haven't heard anything about confirming application either. however both rutgers and unc (which i mailed in supplementary fees/application on same day as upenn) have confirmed my application.

maybe upenn takes longer to process things? I think it would be a little strange if both of our forms/fee were not received

I think this may be the case. I'll be honest and tell you I feel reassured that you're in the same situation because I've started to doubt myself (did I write the address wrong, did the envelope get lost somewhere...etc). Friends of mine mentioned how penn is Ivy League and what not and how they get tons of applications. I think you're right In the assumption that it takes a while to process. I'm guessing they have our applications but they haven't gotten the chance to look through them yet and sort things out. I'll definitely keep you updated and thank you for posting here. You really helped calm my nerves.

I also submitted my Rutgers check about two days ago and hope that doesn't take too long to process either. Honestly, it's 2017. Secondary applications and especially the fees should all be done electronically. This is such a hassle.

Letter mail should only take 3-5 days right?
Correct. But we are going with the assumption that they have a high volume of applicants and processing time is longer.

I thought you applied last cycle, are you reapplying?
I did not apply last cycle. This is my first time applying.

Hi guys,

First, I mailed my Upenn secondary application on August 7th. I called the school yesterday and asked if they received my application yet but they said no. I was talking to the lady on the phone and told her that I live in Philadelphia and it shouldn't take two weeks for them to get my secondary (not to mention my envelope was shipped first class). She blatantly laughed at me and told me mail takes a "loooong" time. I mailed papers to ADEA for the partial fee waiver and heard back from them within a few days. What gives? I suspected my envelope was lost somehow but it wasn't returned to me via the return address.

My DAT scores were verified just recently and they said they received those. My application is pretty much complete now but I haven't heard from any schools yet and I'm starting I get really ansy especially seeing others get interviews already. My app is complete at all schools I applied to except Upenn and Rutgers (checks for secondary fees are currently in mail) and I'm waiting to hear back but nothing. It's so stressful. I applied to Rutgers, Maryland, temple, Upenn, Harvard, Columbia, And Pitt.

Any pointers during these stressful times? I'm trying to be as patient as possible but some schools are having a hard time updating my application status. For Harvard, Columbia, Pitt, and temple, App is 100% complete.

Penn and Rutgers waiting on mailed stuff.

Maryland: I haven't received that secondary app that people talk about with the 2x2 photo or whatever.
Do you live far from UPenn? if not, suggest dropping off the supplemental application. I asked my friend to drop it off for me(I sent it to him first) since I was out of country and was afraid that it might get lost etc. On the same day, they changed to the application complete. Hope this helps!

As far as for Maryland, it's invite only so... patience will be the virtue ><

Reactions: 1 users
It should take under a week MAX. I sent mine from the Mountain West region and UPENN got it in 5 days (at least that is when they sent me the app compete email). I sent another to UNC however and it took them over 3 weeks. I think it might have been lost for a while. I'd almost given up on them when I got an email that they had found my envelope. If you wanted things to move along more quickly, I would send it again, or hand deliver it (since you live in Philly) and let them know to only process one of them. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You know you can email the supplemental right?

"The Supplemental Application and essay responses should be submitted directly to the Penn Dental Medicine Admissions Office as early as possible via email, fax or postal service."

I just emailed my supplemental application and priority mailed my check so I know they received it.

Get tracking on your mail just to make sure it gets there. The extra cost is worth the peace of mind.

I live pretty close to Philly and it still took them weeks to update my application. They updated my status to complete 2 weeks after I sent it in (and 1 week after I called). I would be patient, but resend with tracking if that makes you feel better. Penn seems to be really disorganized and slow this year, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn seems to be really disorganized and slow this year, so I'm not sure what is going on
There's only 3-4 people reviewing thousands of applications. When people say this process takes time, it truly does. It's only August..

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the same boat with the Upenn supplemental and check. I mailed mine the same day as my Harvard supplemental fee via priority mail on August 9th. My Harvard application was marked complete this Monday, 8/21, while I still haven't heard anything from UPenn yet. I was getting nervous too, but it's slightly reassuring that others are having the same concerns.

update: my mail was received!

My mail was received today too! Woohoo!

I am in the same boat with the Upenn supplemental and check. I mailed mine the same day as my Harvard supplemental fee via priority mail on August 9th. My Harvard application was marked complete this Monday, 8/21, while I still haven't heard anything from UPenn yet. I was getting nervous too, but it's slightly reassuring that others are having the same concerns.

Don't fret! You mailed yours a few days after mine. Mine was just received so yours should be coming in soon. Don't lose hope!

My mail was received today too! Woohoo!

Don't fret! You mailed yours a few days after mine. Mine was just received so yours should be coming in soon. Don't lose hope!

I just called UPenn and I was told that it was probably lost, even though my USPS tracking number says delivered on August 11th. Do you think I should fax another supplemental and mail another check or just wait? The fact that yours was processed after such a long wait is a pleasant surprise.

I'm still 99% sure there's a problem on shcools end; that's why I haven't heard from a bunch of schools. This really sucks. Ill call them up again Monday

I just called UPenn and I was told that it was probably lost, even though my USPS tracking number says delivered on August 11th. Do you think I should fax another supplemental and mail another check or just wait? The fact that yours was processed after such a long wait is a pleasant surprise.
Definitely give them until Monday. Explain to them how your tracking # tells you it's been delivered and see what they say. It's probably in their school somewhere. Really sorry to hear though.

You know you can email the supplemental right?

"The Supplemental Application and essay responses should be submitted directly to the Penn Dental Medicine Admissions Office as early as possible via email, fax or postal service."

I just emailed my supplemental application and priority mailed my check so I know they received it.
Hey Sparkinthedark - not sure if you are still reading this thread but where do you email the supplemental too?
I checked the website and it says "The Supplemental Application should be submitted directly to the Penn Dental Medicine Office of Admissions as early as possible to: (Office of Admissions, Robert Schattner Center, Penn Dental Medicine, 240 South 40th Street, Room 122, Philadelphia, PA 19104) along with the application fee."

Maybe they recently updated their website? Admissions | DMD Program | Academic Programs & Admissions | Penn Dental School

Hey Sparkinthedark - not sure if you are still reading this thread but where do you email the supplemental too?
I checked the website and it says "The Supplemental Application should be submitted directly to the Penn Dental Medicine Office of Admissions as early as possible to: (Office of Admissions, Robert Schattner Center, Penn Dental Medicine, 240 South 40th Street, Room 122, Philadelphia, PA 19104) along with the application fee."

Maybe they recently updated their website? Admissions | DMD Program | Academic Programs & Admissions | Penn Dental School
The email address is on the page..

The email address is on the page..
Hmm, I suppose I was just confused that it doesn't say that email is possible when I looked - I could be completely wrong though

I got the information about email, fax or mail on Penn's AADSAS page. I got application complete email pretty much 1 business day after I emailed my supplemental to them.

I got the information about email, fax or mail on Penn's AADSAS page. I got application complete email pretty much 1 business day after I emailed my supplemental to them.
Thank you so much for the reply - can't believe I sent it snailmail.

Have a great weekend!