Anyone interested in tutoring a hopeless medical school student for the USMLE STEP 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureherooftime622

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'll give a brief background history. So Medical school has been a difficult road for me. I'd probably be at the bottom 10% of my class. I will (hopefully) be graduating in 2018. I didn't take my STEP 1 last summer because I wasn't doing well on my practice tests. I haven't taken one in a while. I have been doing practice UWORLD Questions since last summer (so over the course of the school year) and I have improved a great deal. It doesn't matter to me that I won't be getting residency right after I graduate. I'm working at my own pace so I can get the score I want.

I'm really interested in paediatrics and psychiatry. I'm hoping to get within the 240s, that way the doors will open for me and I can apply for any residency program :) I live within the state of Maryland, so, either University of Maryland or Johns Hopkins would be ideal (or any of the medstar hospitals in the area). Anyway, I haven't reached that point yet.

Would someone be able to tutor me or recommend a tutor? It would be a big help. There are just certain concepts I don't seem to understand.

Would appreciate it if someone could get back to me.

Sincerely,

-A struggling medical student.

Members don't see this ad.

You might find better luck if you just said what topics you need help in and what you don't understand about them. Most people are better at and more able/willing to teach certain topics than others.

Hi there,

I'll give a brief background history. So Medical school has been a difficult road for me. I'd probably be at the bottom 10% of my class. I will (hopefully) be graduating in 2018. I didn't take my STEP 1 last summer because I wasn't doing well on my practice tests. I haven't taken one in a while. I have been doing practice UWORLD Questions since last summer (so over the course of the school year) and I have improved a great deal. It doesn't matter to me that I won't be getting residency right after I graduate. I'm working at my own pace so I can get the score I want.

I'm really interested in paediatrics and psychiatry. I'm hoping to get within the 240s, that way the doors will open for me and I can apply for any residency program :) I live within the state of Maryland, so, either University of Maryland or Johns Hopkins would be ideal (or any of the medstar hospitals in the area). Anyway, I haven't reached that point yet.

Would someone be able to tutor me or recommend a tutor? It would be a big help. There are just certain concepts I don't seem to understand.

Would appreciate it if someone could get back to me.

Sincerely,

-A struggling medical student.

Hello,

We're interested in helping out. My name is Andy Beck, I'm one of the founding members of a tutoring company called MedBoardTutors. We have helped hundreds of students across the four-year curriculum within medical school, and I'm sure we have someone on staff who can help with your specific needs as well. Below is some information about our company; we'd love to hear from you so that we can do a free consultation and get an idea of how we can help.

MedBoardTutors has the highest average Step 1, Step 2 CK and COMLEX scores among all USMLE tutoring companies with an average of >260 on Step 1, >260 on Step 2 CK and >800 on COMLEX. We also have thousands of hours of tutoring experience for the USMLE, working with both U.S. and International medical graduates. We have seen great improvement in all of our students, and believe that our personalized approach to each student allows for our students to reach their maximum potential.

We tutor because we love to teach, and help our fellow colleagues. Because of this, our tutoring rates are significantly less expensive than our competitors. While it will not cost you as much, we offer the same quality, effective services as other companies.

If interested, please check out our website at www.medboardtutors.com

There, you will find information about our services, testimonials, pricing, and how to start the tutoring program.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,
MedBoardTutors - Michael Shriver, MD, and Andrew Beck, MD

Hello!

I'm a 4th year medical student in Virginia, USA and am offering tutoring services primarily for third year/clinical rotations and shelf exams. Sessions will be held remotely via Skype. I charge $30/hr. All funds must be transferred 24hrs prior to session time to ensure reservation. I have over 5 years of teaching/tutoring experience to undergraduate students.

I am proud to admit I was a student that initially struggled with the volume and lingo of medicine, and over the years excelled by developing my own pneumonics, slides, and tricks. I am eager to share my resources with other students and provide high yield teaching! My personal notes have been shared within my medical school community and are well received. Please contact me with your specific needs and we can come up with a plan together best suited for your goals.

Looking forward to working with you!

What? Not a single good Samaritan willing to help out poor struggling student without asking money for it? I guess if one has no money - then he will get no help. The real side of sdn. smh +pity+